Onkyo TX-NR808 or Rotel RSP-1570 - which is best for music?

jtb

I've got a slight tricky room - 7m x 10m x 3m; one of the 10m walls is made entirely from glass, and to make it harder, the room has a large pitched skylight of about 4m x 2m, with a max height of 5m.

I use my system mainly for music, but the big problem is that the room eats bass - all the glass makes it impossible to get decent sound. Previously I was running a pair of bridged Nads (C370 and C270) into my B&W fronts (604S3), and for bass reinforcement I also had a pair of low-end Yamaha active subs.

One of the Nads has died, so I have sold the other one, and I had the thought that I could try a different tack which would be to run an av amp in all-channels stereo mode to try and increase the sound pressure in the room.

With this in mind, I bought the Onkyo TX-NR808 a couple of weeks ago, and a pair of DM602S3's to use as surrounds. Hooked it all up, but at higher volumes the Onkyo just sounded terrible to me - basically, it sounds like it is running out of steam.

So one solution to this is to use the Onky as a processor, and add a power amp eg the Rotel RMB-1575 (which from research on the forum does seem to have a lot of fans). I could either amplify fronts, surrounds and centre - or I could biamp the fronts and use the Onky to drive the surrounds.

The supplying dealer has suggested to me though that I could also consider replacing the Onky with the Rotel RSP-1570. On paper, the Rotel pro is much more expensive than the Onky, and has many fewer features. But that's just on paper.

Does the panel have an opinion about musical capabilities between the two?

Money aside, there are a few other considerations - the Onky has ethernet connectivity, which makes it very easy to control the unit over the network here; it also has fm/am and internet radio, and powered zone 2 - all of which are features that I could and would use. However, one thing it doesn't have is a zone 1 trigger so it isn't straightforward to control the Rotel amp from the Onky. Decisions, decisions!

Appreciate any advice or opinions.

Cheers
Jimmy

eaglemmoomin

I've got a slight tricky room - 7m x 10m x 3m; one of the 10m walls is made entirely from glass, and to make it harder, the room has a large pitched skylight of about 4m x 2m, with a max height of 5m.

I use my system mainly for music, but the big problem is that the room eats bass - all the glass makes it impossible to get decent sound. Previously I was running a pair of bridged Nads (C370 and C270) into my B&W fronts (604S3), and for bass reinforcement I also had a pair of low-end Yamaha active subs.

One of the Nads has died, so I have sold the other one, and I had the thought that I could try a different tack which would be to run an av amp in all-channels stereo mode to try and increase the sound pressure in the room.

The Marantz is fully loaded with 'toys' but as I have found your dealer might have no plans to stock it so demoing could involve some travelling to be able to hear one.

With this in mind, I bought the Onkyo TX-NR808 a couple of weeks ago, and a pair of DM602S3's to use as surrounds. Hooked it all up, but at higher volumes the Onkyo just sounded terrible to me - basically, it sounds like it is running out of steam.

So one solution to this is to use the Onky as a processor, and add a power amp eg the Rotel RMB-1575 (which from research on the forum does seem to have a lot of fans). I could either amplify fronts, surrounds and centre - or I could biamp the fronts and use the Onky to drive the surrounds.

The supplying dealer has suggested to me though that I could also consider replacing the Onky with the Rotel RSP-1570. On paper, the Rotel pro is much more expensive than the Onky, and has many fewer features. But that's just on paper.

Does the panel have an opinion about musical capabilities between the two?

Money aside, there are a few other considerations - the Onky has ethernet connectivity, which makes it very easy to control the unit over the network here; it also has fm/am and internet radio, and powered zone 2 - all of which are features that I could and would use. However, one thing it doesn't have is a zone 1 trigger so it isn't straightforward to control the Rotel amp from the Onky. Decisions, decisions!

Appreciate any advice or opinions.

Cheers
Jimmy

Processor wise with EQ sub 2000 pounds which from the sounds of it you deffo want, you have a choice of NAD T175HD (if you want HD audio) or the Marantz AV7005 anthing else is over 2000 pounds. The Rotel does not have EQ so while it will be a better preamp for music than the Onkyo you will still have the issues your room is causing. Another option might be a big sub from the likes of BK Electronics, SVS or the other popular ones on here and some form of sub EQ, BK Electronics make something called an AntiMode that might be worth a look. Ask on the subwoofer sub section I reckon those guys might actually be more help than spending extra cash on power amps and processors while you still have fundamental problems with your room.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom