Onkyo TX-NR797 no audio when using audio only hdmi in UDP820

HoopersXcalibur

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a Panasonic UDP820, everything was fine until i put in Alien which uses HDR10+ but, the player was only outputting HDR10. This was weird because i have a Vizio P series quantum which supports all the major HDR formats including HDR10+. So i eventually realized that my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR797) like most does not support HDR10+. What i ended up doing was connecting the audio hdmi (audio only) of the 820 to the reciever and the video hdmi straight to my TV. This fixed the issue. However now im running into an issue where no audio comes out of the reciever if both the AVR and the bluray player are connected to the TV. For some reason the audio keeps coming out of the hdmi input where my AVR is connected to the TV and stops when i change to the input i assigned seperatly for the 820. The only way i found to fix this was to disable the hdmi out going to the TV from my AVR or turning off UHD color of the input connected to the reciever thats connected to the TV and leaving UHD color on only for the input connected to the bluray player to the TV. This is a problem for me however since i need that hdmi to work since all my other devices are connected to the AVR and passed to the TV via HDMI. Is this something that can be fixed? Thank you.

Your AV receiver cannot passthrough HDR10+ and you'd require a receiver with HDMI version 2.1 in order to be able to passthrough HDR10+. No AV receiver currently includes HDMI version 2.1 or has the ability to passthrough HDR10+.

Ensure that the input the AV receiver is connected to isn't the one you set the TV to when wanting to use your UHD disc player. Select the input the player is connected to when wanting to watch the HDR10+ video sources.

Ensure that your player is configured to not output audio using the video HDMI output. Also ensure that the AV receiver is set to the player source and not set to HDMI ARC or TV when wanting to portray the audio associated with what the player is playing.

I think your issue is with HDMI ARC? The AV receiver is automatically switching itself to ARC because the TV is acting as the source. Simply select the source associated with the disc player's HDMI connection to rectify this.

Note that the AUDIO out on the player still outputs a video signal as well as an audio signal. THe video will however be 1080p and not UHD. This is because the audio port is HDCP 1.4 as opposed to HDCP 2.2 required for UHD. You'd not therefore selecting the G=HDMI input the AV receiver is connected to the TV via if wanting to watch UHD video content sourced from the player. You have to select the HDMI input on the TV that the player's video output is connected to.

Last edited:
ARC is already disabled on my reciever and its not plugged into hdmi 1 which is the only one with ARC. Everything else is exactly how you instructed but i still have the same issue

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom