• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo tx-nr709 zone 2 speaker question

whooshavf

Treated myself to a new A/V receiver this week - Onkyo tx-nr709

Wanted 7.1 and networked and lots of HDMI and zone 2, had heard 609 on speakers similar to mine and really liked it

I missed in the spec that zone 2 powered speakers use the front wide
terminals - thus I can only have 5.1 and zone 2 (zone 2 can be different
source)

So, does this mean that when I turn on the zone 2 speakers I still get 5.1 in the main zone 1 ?

And if I have not turned on zone 2 then I can still get 7.1 in zone 1?

Or can I not get 7.1 in zone 1 just because there are speakers connected?

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Also bear in mind that zone 2 will only work with analogue sources connected to the reciever. So anything inputed to the reciever via optical, coaxial and HDMI can not be played through to zone 2.
As far as I am aware if you utilise zone 2 functionality you will only be able to have 5.1 in the main room. Although 7.1 is normally extra speakers at the rear and not front wides. Some blurays have the extra channels encoded for the rears for a proper 7.1 sound while the front wides will be a pseudo effect created by the reciever as no blueray is encoded with front wides.

whooshavf

Thanks

Analogue only - you are right, but that should cover me for internet radio and media streaming from my PC, which is all I want in the dining room to a pair of speakers. On my old VSX-D811 if I switched speakers B on then the 7.1 on speakers A went from 7.1 to stereo.

Though I'm still not clear if I can still have 7.1 in zone 1 (yes it's 2 rear surround) if zone 2 is physically connected but not active.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How is PC connected to amp? Does the amp have separate connections for zone 2 or does it use the same ones as for the rears? If they are seperate you may be able to have both speakers connected (would need to check how they are wired in the amp) but if they use the same posts and assigned within the amp then you could only have one set of speakers connected to them (unless you get a speaker switch to switch between the 2 speakers and also change the setting in the amp each time).

whooshavf

PC media will be streamed wireless via router (until I move it and get ethernet from router to amp)

Zone 2 stereo speakers will be connected via dedicated Front L/R Wide (as per manual)

Zone 1 7.1 will be connected via dedicated Front L/R, surround L/R, rear surround L/R, centre, sub

It appears that to use zone 2 it needs to be set as on/powered in the menu - so I'm thinking that when I want it I can power it on and power it off when not wanted.

It's just not clear in the manual if Zone 1 can still be used as 7.1 if the Zone 2 speakers are connected.
or
If I turn Zone 2 powered off - does the amp then think I have Front L/R high

Unpacked it last night and updated firmware - first chance to replace old amp will be tomorrow - so I might have to wait and see.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Not sure you will be able to use the PC via zone 2. It is all to do with the DAC within the amp which can only be used in the primary zone and not for zone 2. If you are streaming it to the amp via the router then this would suggest it is in the digital form so would not be able to be outputed to zone 2. You could get something like a Logitech squeezebox that could convert the signal and then connect it to the amp via phono connections. I may be wrong with the above so you need to check.

whooshavf

Ok thanks - not so much worried about what the source is - question is about whether I can still have 7.1 in zone 1 when speakers are ohysically connected to zone 2 (whether set as powered/on or powered/off) I started this question about speaker switches but it's morphed specifically to the 709, so I've started a thread in the Onkyo forum.
You can have NET or USB as a source for zone 2 (says manual)

Langstone

I have a NR-1007 configured for 9.1 in my lounge but with a pair of speakers in my kitchen/diner (zone2).

When I switch on zone 2 I lose the feed to the front High speakers so drop to a 7.1 system in the lounge. It all works seamlessly. I use a squeezebox connected via optical and RCA to the CD input and this can then feed through to zone 2.

The only problems I have had are when I lose internet radio (crappy broadband) then I tried to switch to Freeview/freesat radio and because I hadn't connected the analogue as well as HDMI I lost signal in zone 2.:rolleyes:

Alll I need to do is crawl through the mess of wires hidden behind my TV and reconnect the RCA's.:)

regards

Mark

whooshavf

cheers - rigging up now, on a break to re-fix zone 2 speaker on the wall
if they are connected when I do speaker setup, it messes it up, so will re-fix speaker on wall, have them both disconnected, re-setup lounge 7.1, then re-connect zone 2
ta

whooshavf

So I set it all up with 7.1 in zone 1, zone 2 speakers not connected.
Then connected zone 2 speakers and put FM radio on.
Good news - radio zone 1 in 5.1, radio in zone 2 stereo
Bad news - could not turn off zone 2, could not get 7.1 back in zone 1
Disconnected zone 2 speakers, re-set amp
Back to square 1 will try agin later...

Langstone

Om my 1007 there is a button adjacent to the receivers On & Off buttons on the top of the remote and I push this then select if I want Zone 2 on or off.

If I switch zone 2 off the front High speakers switch on and with zone 2 on the speakers in zone 2 are on and the front highs are off.

Regards

Mark

whooshavf

Om my 1007 there is a button adjacent to the receivers On & Off buttons on the top of the remote and I push this then select if I want Zone 2 on or off.

If I switch zone 2 off the front High speakers switch on and with zone 2 on the speakers in zone 2 are on and the front highs are off.

Regards

Mark

Thanks - does your 1007 have discrete zone 2 speaker connections?

Langstone

Thanks - does your 1007 have discrete zone 2 speaker connections?

Yes it does. It has speaker outputs for Audyssey High and Audyssey wide speakers but can only drive one or the other I use the Audyssey High for the main listening room and the audyssey wide outputs for the zone 2 speakers.

I've attached the relevant pages from the manual

Regards

Mark

Attachments

• Pages from tx-nr1007_manual_e-2.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Pages from tx-nr1007_manual_e-3.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 171

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom