Question Onkyo TX-NR686 Zone 2: No Audio out of Left Speaker

GKSD

Novice Member
Reaction score
My receiver seem to be having a strange issue.

I have two ceiling speakers in family room connected to Main as front left and right. And two other ceiling speakers in living room connected to Zone 2. My main use case is streaming music from Net (Pandora) on Zone 2 and Main. The unit is about 6 months old. All had been working fine till about a month ago.

Now the problem is this:
  1. When source is NET or BLUETOOTH, no audio comes out of Zone 2 left Speaker but Zone 2 right speaker works fine.
  2. When I change source to TUNER/FM, both Zone 2 left and right speakers work fine.
Main speakers work fine in all these scenarios.

This was all working fine till about a month ago when I decided to do a firmware upgrade on the unit. The latest current firmware version on the unit is 1051-0000-1060-0011 And I think I am trying zone 2 first time after the upgrade, but I can't be sure if firmware upgrade has caused this regression in functionality. I contacted Onkyo support last weekend and went through basic troubleshooting - factory reset etc - nothing worked.

Any pointers to what could be going wrong here?
Anyone has encountered similar issue or running same firmware version and seeing Zone 2 issues?
I also could not find a way to reload the same firmware.

Last edited:
The middle part of the firmware, is it actually 0000 or it's just a typo? The latest version shown on Onkyo's wesite is 1050-9000-1060-0011.

Ahh, ok then.Do you also get sound from both channels with Tuner/FM set as a source and Onkyo set to All Channel Stereo?

How do I specifically set Onkyo for all channel stereo?
With Tuner/FM, I do get sound from both channels on left and right speakers. But not with Net and Bluetooth - only right channel with these sources.

Use Listening button and the knob below to set output as All channel stereo.

I tried setting Listening mode to All Channel Stereo but it did not fix it.
I have my Speaker Configuration set as 2.1 since I have two Front speakers and Zone 2 is enabled. In this configuration I cannot set Listening mode to All Channel Stereo. But I have tried all options and nothing works - currently it is set to Direct.

For All Channel Stereo, I have to change my Speaker configuration to 3.1. Tried this, but still no change - same issue with Zone 2 left channel having no sound.

Ok, thanks.The other only thing I can suggest is to force fw update for all subsystems. To do that, push down and hold NET (USB if you want to use usb drive) and then press Standby /ON button. The ALL/NET (ALL/USB) message will appear.At this point, hit the Enter key and wait until you see a „Complete” message. If that won’t fix the problem, then you could have a hardware issue.

I did the force update using NET. I don't seem to have the USB button on the front panel.

The update went through without any problem. But after the update, still the same issue - Zone 2 no sound on left channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom