Onkyo tx-nr686 loud white noise. HELP!

fatez

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a strange problem with an onkyo tx-nr686. I'm really desperate now, this happened just overnight, the amp is just 2 year old.
It has this loud noise.

Tried disconnecting all the speakers, leaving just one and try music from BT, music can be heard but the high noise is on top.

Here is a video of the sound:

Any clue will be highly appreciated.
Thanks everyone in advance!

Have you done factory reset?

Well, in that case must be a hardware fault I'm afraid. Perhaps it's a DSP, DAC or ASP circuit.

Well, in that case must be a hardware fault I'm afraid. Perhaps it's a DSP, DAC or ASP circuit.

If i connect it to my phone the music plays fine, but the noise is on top. Can it be something related to the pre amp?
When i turn it on i hear the first click, everything is fine, then the second click, which i assume is the pre amp, and then the noise.

You hear this noise after the second click, because that's the moment when speakers relays kick in. Here is how the audio signal flow: any digital input->dir(digital)->dsp (digital) ->dac (analog)->asp (analog)->power amp->relays->speaker teminals.
To me, you might have issue with either dsp or dac. An oscilloscope would be very handy here.
You could try forced, full firmware (usb or network) update. Let me know, which one suits you the best.

Flashed the firmware. Twice. Same thing. Im screwed i guess. :/

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom