onkyo tx-nr676e owners thread

I just got this the other day moving from the Yamaha RX-V671BL & find it far too bass heavy I ran auto calibration & double bass is not set are there better settings to compensate?
BTW I have the Onkyo TXNR676 no e that I know of.

I’ve just upgraded to the 676 from my Pioneer VSX920 as it developed a fault, and also wasn’t HDR compatible. But I have a problem that hopefully someone can help with.

With my Xbox One X connected to the 676, and the 676 connected to my 2017 4k LG tv, the Xbox video settings are reporting that my tv is not HDR compatible. HDR is activated on at 3 hdmi ports on the tv. This is what I got with the old 920, because it wasn’t capable of handling HDR, but shouldn’t be getting on the 676.

Is there anything anyone could suggest to help, as I am trying to avoid having to connect the Xbox One X directly to the tv, in order to get HDR, and rely on arc to send the audio back to the receiver, as I’m not 100% sure if I will still get Atmos sound that way.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
I found a solution to the problem, but that in itself has raised a new problem:

It seems that because the LG 4k tv I have connected to the zone 2 hdmi output, the bedroom tv, is not HDR that changes the amp to not output HDR to zone 1 either. As soon as I unplug the zone 2 hdmi cable, and plug the zone 1 cable out and back in, HDR Is restored on zone 1.

The problem I have is that I want to be able t use the zone 2 feed, which is why I bought an amp with 2 hdmi outputs. Is there anything I can change in the settings, or is there some kind of work around anyone can think of.
Thanks

I found a solution to the problem, but that in itself has raised a new problem:

It seems that because the LG 4k tv I have connected to the zone 2 hdmi output, the bedroom tv, is not HDR that changes the amp to not output HDR to zone 1 either. As soon as I unplug the zone 2 hdmi cable, and plug the zone 1 cable out and back in, HDR Is restored on zone 1.

The problem I have is that I want to be able to use the zone 2 feed, which is why I bought an amp with 2 hdmi outputs. Is there anything I can change in the settings, or is there some kind of work around anyone can think of.
Thanks

Good afternoon everyone, I’ve just purchased the 676 with a 5.0 setup of monitor audio mass speakers, bk xxls400 to come in a few weeks.
I have a question I hope someone can answer about the Onkyo. If I leave it in direct mode, will that just output whatever is being input into it? If so I’m presuming this is the best mode to leave it in as I’ll always be getting the correct type of audio!

Is direct the listening mode I should leave the receiver in? Will the receiver just pick up that a for example DTS hd master audio is being output by my player and just play it or do I need to select the audio format each time? Direct looks like the one, is there an auto function? So it will always just output what it’s being fed?

Is direct the listening mode I should leave the receiver in? Will the receiver just pick up that a for example DTS hd master audio is being output by my player and just play it or do I need to select the audio format each time? Direct looks like the one, is there an auto function? So it will always just output what it’s being fed?

Just to add, when I was playing a blu ray which was inputting DTS HD master audio, in direct mode it showed this as the input under the info button, but showed the output as direct! Wasn’t sure if direct was outputting what was being input? Hope that makes sense lol

Just to add, when I was playing a blu ray which was inputting DTS HD master audio, in direct mode it showed this as the input under the info button, but showed the output as direct! Wasn’t sure if direct was outputting what was being input? Hope that makes sense lol

All sorted, it appears for tv viewing Dolby digital is the way to go, after checking a few blu ray disks the amp does change accordingly, very happy now[emoji1303]

I'm about to buy a receiver to power my 2x Dali Zensor 7 (will add more speakers later). Any reason to pick this one over the TX-RZ720? Great deal on the 720 in Sweden right now.
Vintervilan what did you do? Have you purchased TX 676? I ask bcs i have the same speakers Dali Zensor 7 with Dali 12 sub and i am going to choose betwee marantz or onkyo. Not sure what to do? It is most bcs of Dali would love this onkyo?

Hi. I'm looking to get a 676 to replace my 607 as I've upgraded to a 4k TV to stream from a htcp.

I also play a lot of retro games systems so need an amp to accept component inputs and pump it out via HDMI.

Currently my 607 also drives a stereo speaker pair in zone 2 which I will continue if I upgrade. The performance of zone 2 is pretty poor, I need to turn up to 30 whereas in zone 1 I would only need volume at 15. Is the nr676 likely to be the same?

Lastly, is there a difference between the 'E' and 'S' suffix models?

Thanks
Paul

I purchased a Onkyo 676 that died 31 days after purchasing it. Took it to a Onkyo Factory Authorized repair facility and they diagnosed it as water or liquid damage in the receiver. I was stumped because it was taken straight from the shipping box and put in a cabinet. No possible way for any liquid to get into it. And for those of you wondering, I don't have any kids or anyone else living with me that could have spilled something that somehow would have made it's way into the cabinet past a blu-ray player and into the receiver.
The tech at the repair shop said the amount of corrosion that he saw in the receiver, he believed, could not have happened in the short time I had owned the 676. With Onkyo there seems to be no appeal. The repair shop told me to contact Onkyo Customer Service, give them their number and the Repair Techs name and he would explain what he was seeing. I did twice and they never called the repair technician. Customer service Rep also said that even if it weren't for the liquid damage, just opening the case to diagnose the problem also voided my warranty. I am not sure how they expect their own authorized shops to not open the case to find out what is wrong. This whole experience has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth concerning ONKYO. I was a fan of their equipment up until this experience with their customer service department. The 676 was replacing a TX-NR808 that I owned for years. I have purchased 3 other Onkyo AV receivers as gifts for family. The cost to repair is $40 more than just purchasing another 676. Doubting I'll purchase another Onkyo though. If anyone has any ideas on getting this figured out I'd be grateful.

I bought an Onkyo 676E as part of the money back program for defective hdmi boards in an onkyo 616 which died earlier this year with no sound. I'm really happy with the new receiver, the sound is beautiful and the quick shortcut menu makes it easy to turn off the main hdmi when I want to watch a movie on my home cinema projector connected through the sub hdmi. The only thing I can't seem to get to work the same is the RHID (as Onkyo call it) or ARC from my sony tv, with the 616 when I turned on the tv it would automatically turn on the receiver and play the sound through the amplifier.

I have to manually turn on the receiver for it to connect, I have the hdmi in a port on the rear of the tv that states its for arc and I also have an optical audio cable going from the tv to the Onkyo receiver, am I missing something here?

Thanks for any support in advance.

Hi, I have the Onkyo 676, with Dali Zensors hard-wired downstairs. I just bought a Onkyo NCP-302 Flareconnect speaker for upstairs (though it says Fireconnect on the packaging). I can't seem to get it to connect to WiFi and hence use the Flareconnect through the amplifier. When I open the Onkyo app on phone/tablet, it cannot find any devices other than the 676 amplifier (under 'device setp' or 'group'). The blue wifi light on the NCP 302 flashes. 676 firmware is up to date (version ending '10') and WiFi is working in the hosue so cannot see what the issue is. Bluetooth is working on the speaker but ideally I want it on the Flareconnect so I can listen to same music throughout the house on hardwire and/or Flareconnect.

Would appreciate any tips, many thanks.

Hi guys I have an onkyo tx nr676e first of all bought it from peter Tyson and for some reason it doesn't come up with the fancy sticker at the front , phoned them said it's new and some they may not come up with stickers.Never mind anyone experiencing problem with Casting from their phones to the onkyo using the Chromecast built in ? Thanks .

Mine never had the fancy stickers . I got mine from Richersounds .... I dont use casting so cant help on that side

It can only cast audio so things like YouTube don't work on it. I just added a real chromecast to mine

It can only cast audio so things like YouTube don't work on it. I just added a real chromecast to mine
I know it cast only the audio but im having difficulty to cast without buffering and stoppage . Whenever I cast an entire album or flow music from Deezer it play one song or two than it stop completely ! Have u experienced something like this before ?
Thanks ,

Note : I may buy a Chromecast stick as well but before doing that I'm still thinking this feature should work as advertised .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom