Onkyo TX-NR646 Zone 2 Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by goalscrounger, Jun 3, 2018.

1. goalscrounger

goalscrounger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all,

I have an Onkyo TX-NR646 and use it to play my mp3 collection via a netbook running Kodi. The netbook is connected via HDMI and plays fine in Zone 1.

I've just purchased some outdoor speakers (Yamaha NS-AW150) and want to hook them up as Zone 2 speakers (mainly to play the same music as Zone 1). Unfortunately I am having no luck at all getting any sound out of them (although they both work when tested as Zone 1 speakers). The speakers are connected to the Zone 2 speaker inputs and I've been into the receiver's setup menu to set them as Powered.

I've realised that I can't get any sound from a HDMI connection out of Zone 2, so I have purchased an optical cable and have connected the netbook to Optical 1 (CD) on the back of the receiver.

The netbook plays through the receiver on the STRM BOX HDMI input so I have gone into the receiver setup and set the Optical Audio input for STRM BOX to Optical 1. I've followed the instructions in the manual to get Zone 2 working (Zone 2 appears on the display on the receiver) and tried changing the input to STRM BOX (also tried CD).....doing this doesn't seem to change anything on the receiver display though?

Nothing I do seems to get any sound out of Zone 2.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong please? I got these speakers for my 50th birthday party next Saturday so I'm really keen to solve this before then.

Thank you!

2. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    @dante01 Should be along shortly with the answer to your problem:smashin:

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
    Zone 2 sources are restricted to audio accessed via analogue inputs or audio accessed via the receiver's networking capabilities. You'd not be able to output audio sourced via either HDMI or optical to a second audio zone.

4. goalscrounger

goalscrounger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the quick response, but there are several other forums that suggest that optical works (including this comment from the mod at the Onkyo Support forum)

"The TX-NR646 does not support HDMI in Zone 2 without the use of an optical cable. If you disconnected that optical cable, Zone 2 would not work. We manufacture receivers that support HDMI to Zone 2 without Analog or Optical Cable but unfortunately the TX-NR646 is not one of them."

Must admit, my lack of sound does seem to support your stance though!

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
    In that case, is the source more than 2 channels? You can only output 2 channel sources to the second zone. The manual suggests that it has to be PCM in nature if a digital source.

Are you making sure that the second zone is powered up, that the source is selected for that zone and that the volume is set high enough to hear for that zone? All these settings are independant of the main room settings.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. goalscrounger

goalscrounger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zone 2 is definitely powered up, the source appears to be selected and the volume appears to be up (there is no confirmation of these on the receiver, but the red light on the remote suggests the signal has been sent to the unit)

As for 2 channels, forgive me as I am not an expert.....they are mp3 music files so I am guessing they are just 2 channels??

Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated!

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
    Yes mp3 files would result in 2 channel PCM.

The fact that the receiver's display isn't indicating the zone 2 as being powered up is intriguing. I'd suggest that the second zone has not been engaged.

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
  9. goalscrounger

goalscrounger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no sorry, I wasn't clear enough.....it DOES indicate Zone 2, but there is nothing on the display to confirm that it's changed sources when you use the remote, neither that the volume is actually turning up (the red light on the remote flashes, but that is it.....so it's either not doing anything or it's working fine.....impossible to tell as there is nothing to indicate whether there should be anything to see on the display)

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
    and you are sure that the remote is set to the second zone?

Do Onkyo have a iOS and or Android control app for this receiver? It is usually easier to control additional zones with such apps and you do get a visual representation of the zone's standby status, source and volume level if using these apps. The receiver itself will not display this information for the second zone.

11. goalscrounger

goalscrounger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. goalscrounger

goalscrounger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure, I will check out and see if there is an Android remote later and check back in. Thank you so much for your time and effort, it's appreciated. :)