• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Onkyo TX-NR646 Popping/Crackling at high volume

B Tank

Established Member
Hi,

Was really working my AVR a few days ago, playing Prometheus at 50 volume. In loud scenes, like in the opening scene when the score really opens up, and in Gravity right at the start, I hear popping/crackling happening through random speakers. It only happens during the loud scenes.

The amp is a 7.1 but I have a 5.1 setup, 2 channels are currently spare. Haven't Bi-amped them, even though the speakers and amp support it.

MA BX2/BX Centre
Kef Eggs surrounds.

I have a feeling it's probably the limit of the amp - what do you think?
Will bi-amping help it?

leedowner

Standard Member
I have the same avr and haven't experienced popping or crackling, so could be your speakers. I have a monitor audio 5.1 speaker set and 2x Cambridge audio minx speakers for rear surrounds so I have 7.1.

I think the amp goes to 80 so 50 should be ok, it's very rare I'll go higher than 50 but it's been ok in times when I have.

B Tank

Established Member
I have the same avr and haven't experienced popping or crackling, so could be your speakers. I have a monitor audio 5.1 speaker set and 2x Cambridge audio minx speakers for rear surrounds so I have 7.1.

I think the amp goes to 80 so 50 should be ok, it's very rare I'll go higher than 50 but it's been ok in times when I have.

Another member suggested to review my crossover settings which were set quite low. My BX2 and BX Centre were crossover at 40hz and my KEF Eggs were set to 70hz. I changed these to 80hz and 100hz respectively and will try it again some time.

It doesn't really happen during bass heavy scenes, it happens at general high volume midrange/high range scenes, and only at high volume. No relative setting on my amp unfortunately so I can't give that amount but 50 is quite loud.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom