Onkyo TX-NR646 - Another question, this time about OSD!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by addyeddy, Jun 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Apologies for being thick, but I'm sure when I turned the Onkyo on for the first time to set up, the OSD came through via HDMI,now it doesn't, not through the TV at least. When I switch the Blu Ray player on, it's there,but not when I only have the TV and receiver on.The receiver and TV are connected via the ARC channel. I am pressing the receiver button on the Onkyo remote first, it's nothing as simple as that, and I haven't changed any settings since the initial setup.

I also seem to be having what I guess to be HDMI handshake issues where there is often no audio from the receiver if I switch from my blu ray player back to the TV, and I have to unplug everything to get sound back.

Anyone else having these problems, and can anyone suggest any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,238
    If using ARC then the video signal is solely that of the TV. The audio is being output from the TV to the receiver and no video signal is being sent from the receiver to the TV. The receiver cannot mix its GUI into the video sourced via the TV and only video sources connected to the receiver's inputs passing through the receiver get the receiver's GUI mixed into them.

3. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Right,so there is no way I can get the OSD onto the TV when the TV and receiver alone are on? I looked for a monitor out on the AV, but there isn't one.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,238
    If using the TV's own internal tuner, SMART features or accessing video via devices connected directly to the TV as opposed to the receiver then no, you cannot superimpose the receiver's GUI and or OSD over that video. The receiver's GUI can only be added to video pssing through the AV receiver.

You connect the receiver to your TV via HDMI. HDMI will convey the video accessed via devices connected to the AV receiver to the TV or audio using ARC from the TV to the receiver. If using the HDMI connection between the TV and receiver for ARC and in order to convey the audio associated with content sourced via the TV itself them no video is sent from the receiver to the TV.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  5. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Yep got it thanks.I just thought audio and video signals could be transferred over the HDMI and didn't think of any restrictions, thanks for your informative answer.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,238
    Both audio and video can be conveyed over HDMI, but you aren't conveying video from the receiver to your TV so the receiver cannot therefore superimpose the GUI over the video. You are only using the HDMI connection to convey audio from your TV in association with video sourced via the TV while using ARC.