Question Onkyo TX-NR646 2.1 subwoofer setup help

Leadfoot77

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. I just added a sub-woofer to my 2.1 setup with the nr646 AVR. I ran it through the auto-config (accuEq?) setup and heard the sub-woofer making noise. However, after that when I switch to cable TV (RCN) or stream music through my chromecast, the sub-woofer makes no noise. I suspect it's a configuration issue because I did find one thing that works: set the speakers to Full Band and turn on "Double bass" - but I believe this means I'm essentially "whacking the configuration over the head" and forcing the AVR to send certain frequencies to the sub.

Can anybody give me some guidance on how to properly configure this? Does it have anything to do with the input source (cable box/chromecast)?

I greatly appreciate any input!

You need to set crossovers for the front speakers. THe receiver will then filter the audio and redirect frequencies at and below the crossover setting away from the front speakers and out to the sub. If you don't do this and treat the front speakers as being full band then the sub would only ever be active while handling multichannel soures that include a dedicated LOw Frequency Effects channel (LFE).

snapshot001.jpg

TX-NR646

Last edited:
You need to set crossovers for the front speakers. THe receiver will then filter the audio and redirect frequencies at and below the crossover setting away from the front speakers and out to the sub. If you don't do this and treat the front speakers as being full band then the sub would only ever be active while handling multichannel soures that include a dedicated LOw Frequency Effects channel (LFE).

View attachment 909662

TX-NR646

Thanks for the reply - I believe I tried this. The place where you can put 'Full Band' I originally had set to 80hz (and Double bass off). I was getting nothing from the sub-woofer at all. But please keep in mind, my test was simply movie channels coming from my cable box and music from youtube/amazon pumped through my chromecast - so perhaps it was an input issue and not a avr setup issue?

You should be getting something via the sub irrespective of the source. The only exception would be if using a PURE DIRECT mode which would bypass any bass management being applied by the receiver. Maybe you aren't actually perceiving that the sub is active? The sub's output and its location wouldn't and shouldn't be detectable. Place a finger gently on the sub's drive unit to see ig you can feel anything?

Also, if the sub has an auto power feature, disengage or bypass this.

So, last night I went back in to the settings and just adjusted the front crossover setting to 80hz and turned off the double bass - this actually worked this time. I tested with cable and with netflix and was hearing bass from the sub in both cases - so... I'm not really sure why it wasn't working the other night because I'm pretty sure I had that exact same setup at one point - but in any case - seems to be resolved. Thanks for your help!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom