Onkyo TX-NR616 - Sound only after second Power On...

Dem

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know it's an old AVR, but I still like it, especially for the white light around the volume knob.... :).

I had an additional TX-NR616 bought new taken in by Onkyo a few years ago that had completely failed and they gave credit towards a new AV amp. I think I bought this one in 2014 as a 'refurb' and so in fairness, has done well to keep going into 2020......(so, I don't have an original retail receipt for it).

I know these Onkyo AV Receivers are prone to HDMI board failure, but wondered if this particular issue is worth investigating by a repairer if anybody has a thought on what might have cause it.

When first switched on, there are a couple of the usual clicking sounds, but not the final louder click, which normally then enables the sound to come through the speakers. However, powering the unit off (On / Off button on the front, not the mains switch), then back on seems to fix it. On the second power on, there are the softer clicks, then the 'final' louder one and the sounds works. This is true for any of the input settings (CBL/SAT, GAME etc.).

Tried a power off / reboot at the mains plug, but no change. In desperation, I updated the firmware to the very latest one this week (from 1161-3110-0500 to 1171-7110-0500 via USB), but that made no difference.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Dem.

Ah, Now its take four switch on / offs for the sound to kick in.....

No sound issue is related to not fully working DSP chip and this could be caused by:
- faulty dsp chip (completely dead)
- bad soldering especially on +3.3V line
- bad sectors in the NAND memory chip that stores firmware for DSP.

Since you're getting sound (well at some point) I believe DSP chip is ok. To fix this properly, you need to remove DSP, clean all its soldering pads as well as the ones on the hdmi board, apply new soldering balls (0.6mm each) and solder DSP chip back.
If this is a refurb unit, take a look at the DSP (marked with red square) through the cooling vents and check if there is wee white label that says "NEW".

Attachments

• onkyo.jpg
    onkyo.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 926
No sound issue is related to not fully working DSP chip and this could be caused by:
- faulty dsp chip (completely dead)
- bad soldering especially on +3.3V line
- bad sectors in the NAND memory chip that stores firmware for DSP.

Since you're getting sound (well at some point) I believe DSP chip is ok. To fix this properly, you need to remove DSP, clean all its soldering pads as well as the ones on the hdmi board, apply new soldering balls (0.6mm each) and solder DSP chip back.
If this is a refurb unit, take a look at the DSP (marked with red square) through the cooling vents and check if there is wee white label that says "NEW".
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, the photo isn't great, but no sticker on the DSP chip. I'm sure that this was a refurb unit when I bought it in 2014, but no idea that had been refurbed on it.

The hairdryer technique (full blast for 10 minutes on the DSP chip) seems to have worked partially, in that the full set of clicks happens on first power on, so there is sound. The only thing missing still is the display showing which speakers are active for the given sound mode.

This will do for now!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-151646493 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-151646493 (1).jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 287
Borrowing the thread.
So started up my 616 the other day and got no sound from any source?
Tried again just now and realized that the click you generally get when switching between sources isn't there.
Is the problem as simple as a faulty relay?
//Johan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom