Onkyo TX-NR6100 or Denon AVR-S760H for older 6.1 Setup

althoma1

Novice Member
So, I am thinking of upgrading to an HDMI 2.1 receiver in the next few months (sometime between now and mid-March). I don't want to buy new speakers or change my setup; just replace the receiver. Right now I have an old Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver and a Yamaha NS-FP9500 Slim Line 6.1-Channel Speaker Package and Yamaha YST-SW100 130W Powered Subwoofer.

It's a bedroom condo setup and I already have the wires run and the rear speakers and surround mounted on the walls. The room is approximately 18x12.

I read through this thread regarding a 6.1 setup with height and gather that it's not possible to run 6.1 with height. That's fine as I wasn't planning to add height speakers anyway. I just want to make sure I'm getting a receiver where I can properly set up 6.1 speakers.

I also understand that the new Yamaha receivers no longer support 6.1 setups. It seems Denon and Marantz still supported that setup when the thread comments were written. Edit: someone on AVSforums was kind enough to confirm that the Denon AVR-S760H does in fact support a single surround back speaker.

They also confirmed that the Onkyo TX-NR6100 will support a 6.1 setup.

I was looking at the entry level Denon and Onkyo receivers as they have 3 HDMI 2.1 40GB inputs. If there are other suggestions, feel free to mention them, but ideally I'd like to stay in the $400-$1000 CAD range (I believe I paid around $400 for the Panasonic all those years ago). In Canada, the Onkyo seems to be $1100, but is on sale at one store for $999 right now. The Denon is priced better at around $800 and a refurbished version is available directly from Denon for $600.

Price wise, Denon is definitely better right now in Canada, but I do see that the Onkyo got the slightly better review in a YouTube video that compares them head to head. Hopefully Costco.ca will carry one or both of them in the near future.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom