Onkyo TX-NR609 wont boot up although EEPROM is supplied

TheMorgy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I have this Onkyo TX-NR609 which won't start anymore.
Plugging it into the power supply, a relais clicking in ~1Hz frequency from the back of the case, so I did some research and found out that the power relais for the transformator is likely to fail, so I bridged the relais output.
Sadly this didnt help, the relais still clicking. Checking the power button resulted 3,3V, and all the fuses are fine. I also removed the old relais and replaced it with a 12V car relais, but same outcoming.
Removing the relais again, bridging the outputs and plugging in, but the receiver still won't start.
I can measure a pulsing voltage of 1-11V along the relais.
So I tried to check the relais again with 9V battery, working fine, I reattached it and rebuild the amp.
So I went to check the 5 line cable from the mainboard to the relais board. Connection is fine, also Pin 3 GND is connected well to the chassis.
Plugging the amp into power, I measured the pins of the 5 line cable.

1. POWERD pulsing 0-11V (this one triggers the relais)
2. +10VS pulsing 9-11V
3 GND connected to chassis
4. +12VD_ST pulsing 9-11V
5 pulsing 3.3-5V

Q181 is soldered well, also the 5 line cable did well for checking for resistance.
Q181 is well connected to GND, so I checked the base pin, it is pulsing 0-3,3V.
Measuring R692 resulted 219Ohms (measured between base of the transistor and R691).
Checking Pin 126 (measured at R691) is also pulsing 3,3V so I checked the supply of Q701 on easy-to-reach C505, and this is constant 3,3V.
So if I get this right, Q701 has nice and constant 3,3V, but somehow triggers Q181 and the relais by slow frequency.
Can this be a faulty EEPROM?
Or much more likely defect X501 (quartz) ?

Also. while trying to reach the relais, I removed the transformator and a white plastic washer fell out, where did it came from?

Thanks in advance

Replace R921, measure resistance of the relay's coil. Should be either 300 o 150 Ohm.
Capture.JPG

Relais resistanceis about 480Ohm
But replacing with 12V didnt help

I replaced R921 but this didn't help, the old one I took out was also 46Ohm.
I tried bridging the relais and soldering a 220Ohm between the relais input to lower the resistance of the coil (and shortwired the outputs) to simulate a 220Ohm Coil Relais but this also doesn't help

Last edited:
Not sure is the R921 is dodgy, but I have fixed few Onkyo amps, like tx-nr515 where that resistor (220 Ohm) was the culprit. It would allow higher current to flow through relay's coil, eventually killing relay after a while.
Does you Onkyo powers on itself as soon as you connect it to the mains?

Sorry to tell it wasn't that one ^^
Yes, the amp starts clicking immediately after plugging in

Yes, the amp starts clicking immediately after plugging in
Hi check all the fuses with all the power off and plug removed
be careful with your fingers

Yes, the amp starts clicking immediately after plugging i
Hi My Nr609 met the same problem. the relay901actived frequently at first. And the machine turned off after short time working, Do you solve this now?I need your help and advice for repairing. I think it,s a common problem for Onkyo serizes.

Hi My Nr609 met the same problem. the relay901actived frequently at first. And the machine turned off after short time working, Do you solve this now?I need your help and advice for repairing. I think it,s a common problem for Onkyo serizes.
„Short time working” do you mean like 5-7 seconds after power on?

„Short time working” do you mean like 5-7 seconds after power
sometime 15min working then switch off saddenly. and relay activating many times. but now i disassemble my 609 because relay doesn't work anymore. who can tell me the risistence of the Relay coil?i think it,s broken now.

Main power relay is another common issue. Coil should have 300-500 Ohm. Also, replace wee resistor that goes in series with relay.

I replace the relay, Now If I connect power it.s activating again but reciver can't turn on and screen can't display again. It means worse than before!

i removed this grey cable from socket hardly so i can check the power supply board. but i can,t connect them again. it,s very easy to go out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_134104.jpg
    IMG_20210727_134104.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 84

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom