Onkyo TX-NR609 rivals

whooshavf

Established Member
Reaction score
Good news

I'm upgrading - I have this week replaced my Mission 6 pack surround system (M70 surrounds/rears/centre 70 ASE sub) with a KEF 3005 set, I still have my Mission M32 as fronts.

Sounding much better already.

Now to replace my veteran Pioneer VSX-D8111

I'm really tempted by th Onkyo TX-NR609 after hearing one on my son's Kef 2005 setup.

Is there anything else to really challenge (or beat it) at £400 ? Or is there another that's worth spending a bit more on ?

The bad news is that we will have to lift and re-lay the laminate floor as the Pioneer is on the other side of the room to all the av stuff, with one digital coax connection and all the speaker cables under the floor too...

Last edited:
Main contenders to the 609 are Yamaha RXV671, Pioneer VSX-921, Denon AVR-1912, Marantz NR1402.

The Onkyo and Yamaha are very similar in price, Yamaha does not do Spotify or 4K upscaling. The Pioneer and Denon are also the same price, both have Airplay if this is important to you. Their other features are very similar. The Marantz is a slimline receiver for space saving applications.:) Hope this helps.

Thanks - that's a start though I did want 7.1 - perhaps I was not too clear, I'm using the Mission M32 as fronts and the Kefs as centre, surround, rears and sub - It appears the Marantz is only 5.1, though the NR1602 is 7.1 and nice and slim :). Will have a look at the others...

If a slim AV receiver appeals then Pioneer have both the VSX-S300 and VSX-S500 although both are 5.1 amplifiers, albeit with the latest HDMI v1.4a inputs / outputs and HD sound decoding.

thanks for that - though I definately want 7.1
might even look at the onkyo 709 . . .

went for a 709, thanks - Lintone in Gateshead matched the SuperFi email10 code 10% discount offer - collected mind, not deleivered.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom