Onkyo TX-NR609 - Problem with Dolby Digital over HDMI

richard_amer

Standard Member
Hi
I have just brought an Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver. I have an issue whereby there is a loud clicking noise when I change channels or switch to the guide if I have the HDMI Audio setting on my MySky HD box set to Dolby (Note in New Zealand Sky supports Dolby over HDMI:)). If I change it to PCM it is fine but i do not get Dolby Digital Sound. My previous Sony receiver worked fine so it is obviously an issue with the Onkyo. Has anyone else come across this and found a fix. Using the Optical connection is not possible as I am using cat5 cables to feed sky to my TV which is in a different room than the sky box.
Cheers
Richard

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hi Richard

I seem to remember I had a similar issue with my Onkyo 905, not so much the clicking but that there was a long delay in sound every time I switched channel on Sky. I seem to recall a setting I changed on the Onkyo to stop this. Can't remember what it was though!

I'll check tonight and see if I can find it.

richard_amer

Standard Member
thanks Greg, my previous reciever which was a Sony had a long delay like you mentioned. I could live with that. With the Onkyo the clicking comes through the front speakers hence is louder when the volume is up higher, almost sounds like gun fire! If I can't get it sorted I will need to return it.

richard_amer

Standard Member
I managed to fix the problem. In the MySkyHD settings I had to have both HDMI and Optical audio set to Dolby. If I have optical set to PCM and HDI to Dolby I get the static noise through the speakers on my reciever. Lucky my second TV (the one without the receiver) allows me to set the HDMI input to analogue so I can run RCA cables from the sky box into the TV to get sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom