ONKYO TX-NR609 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garycpos, Apr 21, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    rinkydinkydoo - Thanks for the tip on removing the plastic plugs in the binding posts. I may try this if I decide to keep the amp. To be honest I am a little underwhelmed by its performance, I have just "upgraded" from a Denon AVR-3802 and was hoping that the new HD audio formats would blow me away compared to the old ones - as yet I cannot really notice any difference.

I appreciate your input on point 2, but that isn't quite what I mean. No matter what sound format I am receiving (Dolby EX, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA etc), when I first switch on the bluray player I get the "Dialog Norm -2dB" message appear on the receiver's display for 2 seconds then it disappears and then displays the sound format I currently have selected. It also appears when I skip chapters or there is a break in the sound from the HDMI.

I try to keep the receiver in whatever format I am listening to, so for example if I am watching a Dolby Digital EX flagged disc, the amp will display that format on the LED display. I'm trying not to add anything unnecessary to the signal and yet my amp seems to want to turn the dialogue down by -2dB (not sure if this means exclusively the centre channel).

I just don't know what it is, there is no mention in the manual and I cannot find any obvious setting that would correct the dialogue channel on its own.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

2. conx71

conx71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are people generally using this amp with the Audyssey settings?

Having set it up I found the bass (from a Velodyne CHT12r) very boomy, but with Audyssey on the bass is integrated into the overall sound much more naturally, haven't tried the Dynamic EQ yet.

Plus, I got some strange speaker distance readings from the auto setup: the two rears are behind our sofa, the left rear is about 3 feet from the 'ideal' listening position, and the right rear about 6 feet from the same spot, but the auto setup had the left at 7 feet and the right at 4?! This is after the full setup so it took measurements from 3 positions.

I have just edited the speaker distances to reflect what they really are, it's my understanding that you generally shouldn't be able to pinpoint rear surround sounds as actually coming directly from the speaker, correct?

3. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't think this is the case unless you're using dipole/bipole speakers. If the sound is coming from either the rear left or rear right surround speaker then that is where you will notice it. For example if a plane passes over head in a movie and moves from rear right to front left on the screen you will want the sound to match and pass from the rear right speaker to the front left speaker.

The only time you may want the speakers to be less directional is for the side surround speakers, which would blend the sound field from the front to the back and fill in the gap - this is when people tend to use dipole/bipole speakers as they spread the sound.

With regards to my own issue, I was watching a DVD last night and had the volume down lower than usual, this time it displayed "Dialog Norm -7dB" so it is clearly changing this channel on its own, but I don't want it to do anything with any channel - just play the sound that's input without any alteration!

Many thanks,

Jamie

4. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, I am going to answer my own question. It appears that the Dialogue Normalisation feature (or Dialog Norm as the Onkyo displays it) is actually part of all Dolby Digital soundtracks. I'm not going into detail as it would take too long, but basically this feature is present on all Dolby Digital tracks and is part of the soundtrack; it has nothing to do with the amp - it's just my previous amp did not display this value and the Onkyo does.

Now I just need to work out how to make this thing sound half decent!

Thanks,

Jamie

5. whitesnake11

whitesnake11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +634
    Bibooo, your right it does say North American models only. I can't find the page where it says "In Europe, using banana plugs to connect speakers to an audio amplifier is prohibited"

There are a large number of suppliers in the UK who sell banana plugs, seems odd if they are not to be used in Europe:confused:

6. rinkydinkydoo

rinkydinkydoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi,
    I think the banana plug issue stems from the continental mains power sockets and the fear of banana plugs being inadvertently plugged into them.

Biboo - Pleased I could help and it was interesting about the Dialog issue.
    I must admit I am thrilled with the sound but I have upgraded from an 8 year old Yamaha RXV530 with only DD and DTS 5.1, so there is a big step up for me. I am running the Onkyo with POLK floorstanders at the front and a Paradigm Centre and old ELTAX Bi-Pole rears and the sound is awesome. I haven't even bothered with the sub yet. I have only run Audyssey EQ once but it did calculate distances a bit squiffy and I had to turn centre up. When I can get a quiet house, I will run again.

Has anyone experienced alot of hiss from speakers when Onkyo on but no source playing (volume around 60)? Also, I was changing the aspect ratio for a film, cycling through options and the amp totally crashed. I haven't done Frimware upgrade yet:D.

7. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's on page 7 under point 11.

I seem to remember something about not being able to use banana plugs in Europe. I can see why you would potentially warn (stupid) people not to push banana plugs into mains sockets, but saying it is prohibited is ridiculous. You may as well ban screwdrivers as anyone can force one into an electrical socket as well.

I am relieved that you can use them with this amp as I have 6mm speaker cable and that will not fit into the puny terminals on the back without a banana plug!

8. xbguy

xbguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Onkyo TX-NR 609 and would be grateful for any help in the following areas. I got it set up with the Tannoy HTS 101 5.1 speakers. I ran a full room calibration and placed the set-up mic in 3 different positions when prompted.
    I was not convinced by the full audyssey calibration set up as it sounded too low and not enough dept. It gave the following settings; Front 40 Hz, Centre 40 Hz, surround 70 Hz and I can’t remember exact what the sub was set at but wasn’t great neither. The speakers were also set at the following levels Left -1dB. Right -3dB Surround Left -7dB Surround Right -5dB Centre -1 and sub -15. I read elsewhere that as a general rule, the satellite should be set at 80 to 120 Hz for bookshelf which are type of spkrs I’ve got and the sub set to bypass.
    I have set all of mine to 120 for the satellite and bypass for the sub and also adjusted the level settings to various spkrs but can’t remember all of them at the moment. It sounded a lot better, but I still can’t help feeling that something is missing somewhere in the sound range.
    Another issue is the plus and +plus and –minus issue, I currently got the Centre +7 Treble +8 Bass +4 and sub +4. They were all set to minus value previously, but I find the +plus value makes it sound better.
    Please note that I am a newbie to all this AVR amp sound system and the closest I have been to this was with my old kenwood stereo with a 2.0 speakers set up, where I used to just plug my telly or VCR in the aux port of the stereo and done.
    I have laid out below some other settings along with their current values, which I am struggling to get to grips with. Is there something or some recommended setting someone could give me to work with in?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve got a slight problem with the full room calibration, as it has set a distance of 4 and 2 ft for the surround left and subwoofer respectively. It’s more like 10 to 12 ft or the sub and 10 ft for the surround Right just like its right counterpart spkr. The fact it’s calibrating 2 incorrect distances. Could this be the root of my entire problem? Again guys help! I am totally lost.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Audio Set up

LFE level
    Dolby Digital 0dB
    DTS 0dB
    Multich PCM 0dB
    Dolby True HD 0dB
    DTS HD Master Audio 0dB
    DSD 0dB
    Speaker Impedance
    Can be 4 or 6ohms currently set at 6 ohms

Speaker Configuration
    Front 120Hz Centre 120Hz Surround 120Hz Subwoofer Bypass
    Current Calibration
    Left +2dB Centre +4dB Right +6dB Surround Right +6dB Left +10
    Subwoofer 0dB

Speaker Distance
    Left 13 Ft Centre 13 Ft Right 13 Ft Surround Right 10 Ft Surround Left 4 Ft Sub 2 Ft

THX Audio Setup
    THX Ultra2 Select2 Subwoofer: Yes
    BGC: On
    Loudness Plus: On

Equalizer current setting
    Front
    63Hz 0dB
    250Hz 0dB
    16000Hz 0dB
    4000Hz 0dB
    1000HZ 0DB

Centre
    63Hz 0dB
    250Hz 0dB
    16000Hz 0dB
    4000Hz 0dB
    1000HZ 0DB

Surround
    63Hz 0dB
    250Hz 0dB
    16000Hz 0dB
    4000Hz 0dB
    1000HZ 0DB

Subwoofer
    25Hz 0dB
    40Hz 0dB
    63Hz 0dB
    160Hz 0dB
    100Hz 0dB

9. reardoni

reardoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi.

Also relatively new to this, but should be able to shed some light.

The cross over frequency (any frequency lower than quoted I.e yours are currently set to 120hz, will be passed to your sub). Hence if your speakers are showing at 40hz it means they can handle more bass frequencies.

You have your sub set to bypass.

Your lpf of Lfe should be set at the same as your centre (this isn't exact, just a guide)

I wouldn't mess with the equaliser manually. Just re-run your audyssy setup again, keep the mic in roughly the same place three times and tweak your distances and up your speaker levels to taste.

Hope this helps.

Also make sure your sub is on and not in standby when you run the setup.

Cheers Mark.

Another question:- anyonee messed with the image enhancement options, if so any recommendations, or advice for use.?

10. KevG123

KevG123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have exactly the same problem with the 605 using the WDlive hub and was about to upgrade to the 609 because of it!

Did you solve it?

Worth noting the WD is only capable of handling TrueHD and not DTS-HD - licence issues I believe

11. lithepj

lithepj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought this AV Receiver and I am having exactly the same problem in that when I stream music from my PC it stops in the middle of the 4th song and the Receiver displays the message "No Server". It is not a connection problem. If you start to stream music from your PC via the "Play to" option in Windows Media 12 everything is fine but it is a bit of a pain to have to go to your PC to start the streaming rather tha start it via the Remote Control of the Receiver. I was wondering whether you ever resolved the problem or whether anyone esle has any suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  12. jimmyboy1975

jimmyboy1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I had this 'problem' on my Panasonic blu ray player connected to the 609. In the Panny settings, go to settings - sound - digital audio output - then turn OFF BD video secondary output. It no longer shows Dialog Norm.

13. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Is it possible to disable the video processing on the 609 like you can on the 608 (by holding the "VCR/DVR" button and then press the "Return" button (on the receiver, not the remote) until the display shows: "VideoProcessor Skip".)

EDIT: Yes you can, answered my own question

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  14. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ooops, I accidentally walked into creative audio in shrewsbury and said "I'll have a 609 in Black please". :D

Got it setup now. Now just sharing me music collection!!!

15. hybridtheory

hybridtheory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Hi

I'd emailed Onkyo and was advised:

Go To Hardware Setup
    Turn On All HDMI Controls
    Connect the 609 To The ARC Connection On My TV.

I dont have my TV or amp yet so I cant confirm if its working lol.

Baz

16. hybridtheory

hybridtheory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
  17. rinkydinkydoo

rinkydinkydoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Hi,
    It's most probably not going to help much as they are hard to get now but I have Polk RT8 floor standers, a Paradigm Centre (which are well matched) and Eltax Di-pole rears. I also, have a Paradigm Ps1000 v3 sub but am currently repairing this and am running 5.0 instead of 5.1.
    I remember when I bought the Polks that they were comparable at the time to B&W in sound (to my ears) but these were stand mounted and I wanted floorstanders.
    However, I have got to say that the Onkyo provides such depth to the sound with good bass (on standard Audessey EQ setup) that I won't need a sub for music but will add in for movies.

However, my mate has B&W all round on his 805 and a REL sub.

I think the old saying applies really, it's all down to personal taste.

Hope this helps........been playing with some NET features today and it works very well!
    Andy:clap:

18. sink

sink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received mine yesterday with the Tannoy HTS 101 5.1 speaker package and my initial impression is WOW!. For the size of them the audio quality is top notch.

19. rico90

rico90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Onkyo 609 works great but the sub sounds to dark or have to much bass. How can i reduce this?

20. Bell

Bell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello folks,

had my nr609 for 6 days and I'm still finding things to tweak. Sound and vision are really impressive but it's the network capability that I've really been having a blast with. This has really changed the game for me.

The vtuner finds your internet radio stations for you and you load them into your favourites. Simple and sounds very good. Beats the crap DAB signal I was getting.

Spotify on the nr609 is a revelation. Granted, you do have to buy the premium package at £9.99 a month but you don't need to buy anything else. Including downloads. Sync it with your ipod and you carry the music around with you in playlists. Even downloading music seems dated.

Very impressive. Anyone else exploring this area?

21. rinkydinkydoo

rinkydinkydoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Hi,
    I have been using the LastFM and that is great. I like the idea you get to hear bands you have never heard of but similar in genre. Yeah, Internet radio great too. I am now wishing when I ran all my cables I put a Zone 2 in, say in the kitchen or similar.

Saw on Onkyo site today that there is another Firmware Update, I will try later as still having HDMI pass through issues on audio.

Happy Days!:thumbsup:

22. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Latest firmware update is just for Wi-Fi. It should really list all previous fixes as well but hey ho!!

23. alwyn2nd

alwyn2nd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any success in programming my remote to Directv (USA) with the 3 access codes given in the manual. Has anyone been successful and which code did you use? I was successful in programming my Vizio HDTV, Samsung BD C6500, and Sony VCR fortunately.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  24. alwyn2nd

alwyn2nd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

25. alwyn2nd

alwyn2nd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Airplay wasn't built in with the Onkyo receivers for the 2011 model year. Does anyone know if there will be a firmware update for Airplay in the future for the NR receivers? Don't even know if that's even possible.Thinking outside the box before they bury me in one.

26. itay25783

itay25783
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to update the latest firmware.
    During the update, in the "VSP Setting" stage I got error 3-84.
    I tried the update a few times but always the same error appears.
    Now nothing works! the receiver is turned on but I can't hear anything (I tried hearing a music file in a disk on key connected to the USB).
    It also doesn't appear on my TV screen (connected with HDMI).
    Please help!

27. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Have you tried disconnecting it from the mains and waiting 10 seconds before switching back on? Solved mine when I got an error during update.

If not you will have to call Onkyo support.

28. hybridtheory

hybridtheory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Hi

What the UK number for Onkyo support? Just for future reference.

Thanks

Baz

29. itay25783

itay25783
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I can hear music (tried radio and USB) but it still doesn't appear on my TV screen...

30. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you accidentally pressed "audio only" or whatever its called on the remote ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.