Onkyo TX-NR609 Dead after firmware update.

djadi82

Hi all,

I have just tried to update my Onkyo 609 through a USB stick. It took only about 40 secs until it displayed completed (flashing MPUU or something similar appeared prior to). I'm not sure If that is not too quick, but anyway as per instruction when it showed COMPLETED I have removed USB stick and pressed Power on the main chassis. According to flashing instruction, it should power on itself however, it did not happen. When I tried to power it on manually no response. It is completely dead. No lights, no click, just dead like not connect to power at all. Anyone ever had such experience? Also, if there is anyone with higher-level experience, is there any way of programming it back through JTAG etc? I assume that it was failed flash or something and now there is no firmware at all.

dobrykamil

It seems like MMPU update didn’t go well. Main uCom use external memory chip, Q705.
You would have to get a working memory dump file and reprogram eeprom again.I believe JTAG works for dsp, hdmi and video proccesor firmware update. You do this from service menu (T-SERV).

Attachments

• B50F03E8-9B64-4DCE-BE1B-618CCDC82C7C.png
    B50F03E8-9B64-4DCE-BE1B-618CCDC82C7C.png
    393.2 KB · Views: 90

djadi82

Hi Kamil,

Thanks for the information. I have 3 other units so, looks like I could use them as firmware donors to read the EEPROM. Will look more into this over the weekend. Thanks again. Nice to see another countryman here.

djadi82

Ok, so Today finally I made the attempt. Got read of EEPROM from another unit. Flashed and verified the ROM however, still no joy. I will try to verify if there are all required stand-by voltages present but have no idea how this all happened during the firmware update. Maybe that main uIC internal EEPROM is corrupted... BTW the IC is Q153 on the board located not far from the main uIC but on another side of PCB. The service manual is a bit confusing too as in one part it refers to it as Q705 as per attached picture by @dobrykamil , but then there is not another word about this IC anywhere in the manual (not even in the parts list). After doing some SM read I found this Q153 which is EEPROM attached to uIC pins (106-108). Confirmed it is attached to uIC with multimeter. I'm open to any suggestions, please.
I have used CH341A based programmer and AS-Programmer software with settings as follows:
IC: M95640 bytes:8192 page size:32. I have read the donor EEPROM, erased, reflashed, verified and the donor is still working fine so, those settings appear to be working.

Best regards

dobrykamil

Hi.
I found a thread on the polish forum, where someone is having exactly the same problem as you have. Onkyo 609 is kaput after fw upgrade via usb. Long story short, OP and other forum members suspect problem with internal EEPROM. If you really want to fix your amp, then I might sell you (say £20-25 inc shipping) spare uIC board. I have to dig it out first from my garage and then test it obviously.

djadi82

Hi Kamil,
Most likely the OP on elektroda is me. I have 5 other units so in the spare time I will replace board to confirm that the issue is most likely with the main uPc or it's internal EEPROM. I'm currently researching how to read/write internal EEPROM, also I'm waiting on some tools to be delivered so I can make some attempts. Cheers.

dobrykamil

Ha ha, fair enough.Must say, it did ring the bell when I read your post there.Anyway, keep me posted and good luck in repairing your Onkyo 609, as it still very good amp.

Dolus

I have to ask the question. What have you been doing for the last 7 years? :):D

The 609 was released in 2011 and the last firmware update was September 2013.

djadi82

Ok, so a little progress. I can access EEPROM on internal uIC but it is read disabled by security bit. So, the option of reading another working board is out of the picture ATM. I have also decrypted firmware and tried to flash that but it needs to be first converted to HEX format. I have found a method to do that too, but still, either I'm using wrong options in a programmer or not converting correctly as so far no joy. Any ideas?

EDITED:

Ok, full success. I am able to flash V850 uIC now in Onkyo without even removing the case. Thank you all for interest and support.

Best regards

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom