Onkyo TX-NR515....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jarroda, Jul 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jarroda

Jarroda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Evening everyone. Hoping someone can help. I'm looking to upgrade my AV amplifier and this Amp seemed perfect. In fact too perfect. It has the Twin HDMI outputs I need, great reviews, iPad / iPhone control, able to view channels before switching to them..... Also it's not too deep and so fits in my cabinet with ease.

And then I noticed that Onkyo don't support Apples AirPlay. Gutted!!!

Is there anything else I should be considering? Guess I have to step up the price too? Yamaha V773? Others??

Thanks for any pointers.

2. Jarroda

Jarroda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No thoughts?

3. Otaku Punk

Otaku Punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you're set on this amp and want airplay, there's always the option of picking up an apple tv for £99 and adding it to your setup.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    The older Marantz SR6006 has dual HDMI output and AirPLay. Because it is an older model it can be purchased for less than a Yamaha RXV773:
    Marantz SR6006

5. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    After thinking about a 616 with dali zensors i am now considering a 515 with some smaller speakers like the Tannoy HTS101's or Wharfedale DX1's.

the 515 does appear to be a cracking little amp

6. Jarroda

Jarroda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Agreed. Unfortunately Onkyo won't be integrating AirPlay until 2013 and only really the 773 seems to offer everything I need now. Waiting for one off two reviews, then will dive in. Can't imagine Yamaha making the top-of-the-series amp a dud, but best to let a few others check for issues first :D

Both amps are smaller than my present Sony 3300ES and will fit far better in the cabinet too. Bonus.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    What about the cheaper Marantz SR6006 I already mentioned:

Why the need to buy the more expensive Yamaha?

The Marantz has both dual HDMI output and Airplay and will cost you about £120 less than an RXV773.

8. Jarroda

Jarroda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Dante,

The SR6006 does look very interesting too, Thanks for the pointer. I need to read a few reviews and see how good the iPad / iPhone app is amongst other things. It's a bit bigger than the Yamaha in depth and I need to be very careful of this, but it's still smaller than my present 3300ES so should be fine.

I cab't really see the difference between the 6006 and the new 6007 to be honest and with all these features the 6006 must of been an amp ahead of its time last year.

So need to red a few reviews now and carefully study features to make sure I haven't missed anything. These amps have so many features it's easy to miss something you really would appreciate.

9. Jarroda

Jarroda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just a quick update. In the end I purchased the Yamaha V773. It had every feature that I wanted and great reputation for sound quality. It’s also the perfect size, many of the other older “great value” amps from last year were potentially too big.

My verdict after using it for 2 weeks comes in two parts. For features, operational use and design it’s everything I hoped for. On absolute pure sound quality then I think my old 3300 ES still has the edge.

But… The 3300ES is a much bigger Amp that barely (and badly) fitted in my cabinet and was much harder to wire up.

It’s also fair to say that I’m still getting used to the V773 and that the differences in quality are only discernable at extremely high volumes that I’d very rarely use. Only achieved whilst watch the Olympics and cheering on GB in those special moments :D

Overall the V773 is highly recommended. The iPad app is superb. AirPlay works like a dream. HDMI twin out work perfectly and can even do so with the Amp off.