Onkyo TX-NR515 or Onkyo TX-NR626? Looking for some help to decide.

KyotoCarl

Hi!

I just joined this forum since I recently got my first 5.1 system. It's an old Pioneer system from 2003 which I got very cheap.
In short; I decided to upgrade the receiver and won two auctions; for and Onkyo TX-NR515 and a TX-NR626. They are from 2012 and 2013. I got them because of the good video upscaling features in them (I collect Laserdiscs and will soon upgrade to a 4K TV and need an upscaler) but don't have a budget for the high-end expensive upscalers. I also got them because my old receiver was from 1993 :) I also use it for my blu ray's and video games as well.

Now; I'm planning to keep one and sell the other, but I can't decide which one to keep. I'd like to hear from someone who has tried both these and could recommend which one I should keep. I heard that the 626 has some sort of problem when calibrating the sound using Audyssey where the subwoofer doesn't want to calibrate correctly. Is this a big problem?

I like the 626 since it's a bit newer, and has wifi, but the 515 has more HDMI inputs and I have heard good thing about it too.

So you can see why I'm a bit undecided here :)

Appreciate all the help I can get in making a decision :)

dobrykamil

Go for the tx-nr626. 515 is prone to a very well known, no sound issue due to a dodgy DSP chip. Also, 626 is very similar to tx-nr616, more powerful than 515.

KyotoCarl

Thank you very much for your input!
It's too bad that I won two at an auction, I would've been happy with either so I wouldn't have to make this decision :)
I think I will be going with the 626.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom