Onkyo TX-NR509 vs HTS5405

neo179neo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear all...

Im a newbie and am going to venture into my first AV 5.1 system... i was originally going to get the Onkyo HTS5405 which was £350, however today on bestbuy ive discovered the TX-NR509 system with 20% so costs £279...

Is there any major difference for going for the higher priced model? I'll be using Sky HD, PS3 and a Mac Mini...

Thanks for all help...

The 509 is a level above the reciever in the 5405 package hence it would be the better option. What speakers would you use with the 509?

It would appear the 690 only has a passive sub, while the 5405 has an active sub which will make upgrading/replacement easier in the future and should also help with sound quality (amp does not need to work so hard).
This makes it a more difficult choice and I think I would edge towards the 5405 due to the active sub.

I did think about that, is an active sub a major factor though? Other then drawing its own power whats the big difference? Because this is my first piece of kit, on some sites alone the 690 AV is £400 so getting it and speakers for £270 i felt was a bargain, when im more tech savvy in the future i'll upgrade to a better unit, for now i think the cheaper model will be ok...

I mean £270 for a decentish av recieevr and 5.1 speaker set up is pretty good right?

The sub will draw a fair bit of current from the unit which will put the power supply under more strain than a conventional AVR with active sub. This will have a knock on effect on overall sound quality.
As I already said it will also make upgrading in the future a little more difficult. If a new sound format or similar came out you would not be able to just upgrade the reciever but you would at least have to get a new sub as well which will push the cost up.
£270 is a good price but I think I would still prefer to get a reciever with 5.1 system with active sub.

What i'll do is buy the cheap one, and then if i want to upgrade ill sell it and just upgrade, this is my first system afterall...

Thanks for all your advice though!

The sub that comes with the NR509 is active not passive, at that price BUY BUY BUY!!

Excuse my ignorance on the network streaming... does this mean I can stream music to it from iTunes on my Mac?

It would appear the 690 only has a passive sub, while the 5405 has an active sub which will make upgrading/replacement easier in the future and should also help with sound quality (amp does not need to work so hard).
This makes it a more difficult choice and I think I would edge towards the 5405 due to the active sub.

They both have active subs.

They both have active subs.

There are at least three threads running on this Best Buy system. I've just ordered one (due to arrive Friday); here is a link I found and posted on a thread I started:

http://www.electomaniashop.it/imm_v1...sheet%20EN.pdf

If this spec is correct and it is what is supplied by Best Buy, then it definitely comes with an active sub (SKW501E, which is actually the same sub as supplied with the HTS-6405). However, I won't be completely sure until it arrives as the Best Buy site does not state the full spec. of the speakers.

I know I'm taking a risk on this re:warranty and Best Buy's closure in January, but at this price I've decided to take the gamble. Ultimately, all being well I'm getting the TX-NR509 for less than the cheapest I could find elsewhere, plus a 5.1 speaker package that might need upgrading. If it does have or develop a fault, I'm hoping that paying by credit card will give me some protection, or that it happens before Best Buy closes forever. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom