I recently needed to install a Onkyo TX-NR5010 for my sister whom moved to a new house.I installed everything like it was in the old situation (from a working configuration when it was moved into storage).
However whatever I try I don't get a single bit of sound from HDMI/aux/optical cable.
The only sound I get is a light popping sound when I change the volume (this sound doesn't increase or decrease in volume).
The HDMI port is putting trough the video the way it should, just no audio.
- I've set up the loudspeaker configuration in different ways (stereo, 5.0, center only, 5.1). Different frequencies.
- Tried with 6 & 8 ohm speakers with all possible loudspeaker configuration settings. (Q Acoustics & Monitor Audio speakers)
- Tried all possible sound programs.
- Reset the machine a couple of times.
- Cleaned the HDMI board with contact cleaner.
- Flashed the latest firmware.
- Tried with sound input from different HDMI devices/tuner/online radio/usb/aux.
- Reheated the DTS chip on the HDMI board with an airgun for the solder to re-flow (according to a YouTube repair video).
I'm at a loss what could be done next.
I know the HDMI board on this model can go bad and sometimes need to be replaced. This would set me back ~150euro or I could try the slight possibility Onkyo might still fix this.
Another option is giving up on the receiver and getting a replacement ~1000-1500euro.
If someone has any idea on how to fix this, knows where to look next it would be greatly appreciated!