Onkyo TX-NR414 November Sound After Severin Repairs

stormanimal83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey folks I just need some help

I don't know what's up next for getting my onkyo back to life again.

I bought it from eBay with one AmP channel blown. After changing transistor pair of Toshiba 2sa5198 / Toshiba 2sa1941 and the big resistors from the right channel I was trying to fire it up again but there was stil something wrong.

I suspected something on the pre amplifier board from exactly the same right channel and found two blown resistors and one transistor which i changed after measurement. I also changed the bias transistors to be sure but they weren't bad I think.

It still didn't turn on and i thought it was because of the protection mode.
The center channel was blown also then.... I changed the same parts again for that channel.
I checked my work twice did several measurement and couldn't find some other blown or suspicious parts . All curcuits channels have nearly the same resistance and no shorts.

After some research I found the solution. There were no 12v DC present for hdmi board.
I found a broken "leg" from the rectifier on video board which is providing 12v for the hdmi board and soldered it back together...

IT was alive again with showing "CHECK SPEAKER WIRE" message on display but I didn't put in all screws again before testing an expected the ground to be bad. After reassembling I found out that one flex cable or connector for the tuner was bad. I couldn't bring it back to life so I desoldered it to change the connections for soldering in a serial data cable with exactly 9 wires as the flex cable was and the tuner works fine without any loose connection as before.

For now the TX-NR414 is working absolutely perfect but with no sound from the main amplifier.

I HAVE SOUND AND PICTURE FROM HDMI. So I can listen to Internet radio or feeding hdmi signals to my TV.
But there is no sound from the speakers at all. What a pitty that I don't have an adapter for headphone jack so i couldn't find out if sound is present there.
The main amp section is absolutely cold with -54V / +54V present. Pre Amplifier Board is warm. All channels nearly same temperature. After some time nearly 62 degrees Celsius which is normal I think. Have tested with laser thermocouple

I just did a reflow of dsp chip on my infrared soldering station with some flux because the solder balls looked very bad. Own they are nice and shiny again but the unit is still not pulling the Relais for the speaker output. It was only a reflow so not a reballing.

I don't know what to do next. I really wanna bring it to life again because I was spending a lot of time and my brain :) in this damn thing.

Should i change the capacitors on the hdmi board? Which ones? I don't have an esr meter now but I ordered one this week....

Please help somebody. .. I would be glad to know if the tx nr 414 is showing any speaker symbols in the front display if it's operating normally . It's an 5.1 maybe not .... Mine isn't. .. If that's a fault I'd like to know

Of course I followed "CLEAR" procedure.....

I have service manual and I'm uploading some pictures later if I'm allowed. ..

Thanks a lot
Avr forum Newbie
Stormanimal83

Last edited:
20150817_134832.jpg
20150819_133955.jpg
20150819_133959.jpg

Hey folks I just need some help

I don't know what's up next for getting my onkyo back to life again.

I bought it from eBay with one AmP channel blown. After changing transistor pair of Toshiba 2sa5198 / Toshiba 2sa1941 and the big resistors from the right channel I was trying to fire it up again but there was stil something wrong.

I suspected something on the pre amplifier board from exactly the same right channel and found two blown resistors and one transistor which i changed after measurement. I also changed the bias transistors to be sure but they weren't bad I think.

It still didn't turn on and i thought it was because of the protection mode.
The center channel was blown also then.... I changed the same parts again for that channel.
I checked my work twice did several measurement and couldn't find some other blown or suspicious parts . All curcuits channels have nearly the same resistance and no shorts.

After some research I found the solution. There were no 12v DC present for hdmi board.
I found a broken "leg" from the rectifier on video board which is providing 12v for the hdmi board and soldered it back together...

IT was alive again with showing "CHECK SPEAKER WIRE" message on display but I didn't put in all screws again before testing an expected the ground to be bad. After reassembling I found out that one flex cable or connector for the tuner was bad. I couldn't bring it back to life so I desoldered it to change the connections for soldering in a serial data cable with exactly 9 wires as the flex cable was and the tuner works fine without any loose connection as before.

For now the TX-NR414 is working absolutely perfect but with no sound from the main amplifier.

I HAVE SOUND AND PICTURE FROM HDMI. So I can listen to Internet radio or feeding hdmi signals to my TV.
But there is no sound from the speakers at all. What a pitty that I don't have an adapter for headphone jack so i couldn't find out if sound is present there.
The main amp section is absolutely cold with -54V / +54V present. Pre Amplifier Board is warm. All channels nearly same temperature. After some time nearly 62 degrees Celsius which is normal I think. Have tested with laser thermocouple

I just did a reflow of dsp chip on my infrared soldering station with some flux because the solder balls looked very bad. Own they are nice and shiny again but the unit is still not pulling the Relais for the speaker output. It was only a reflow so not a reballing.

I don't know what to do next. I really wanna bring it to life again because I was spending a lot of time and my brain :) in this damn thing.

Should i change the capacitors on the hdmi board? Which ones? I don't have an esr meter now but I ordered one this week....

Please help somebody. .. I would be glad to know if the tx nr 414 is showing any speaker symbols in the front display if it's operating normally . It's an 5.1 maybe not .... Mine isn't. .. If that's a fault I'd like to know

Of course I followed "CLEAR" procedure.....

I have service manual and I'm uploading some pictures later if I'm allowed. ..

Thanks a lot
Avr forum Newbie
Stormanimal83

Hi, I'm from Bulgaria ! I bought ONKYO TX-NR414 on one of the legs of the flash memory I have corrosion, in Bulgaria there is no authorized service of ONKYO, please if anyone can help me with a diagram of the HDM block! Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friend from Bulgaria,
check this first. when you press turn on button and display together, and immediately after that, tone + couple times it will show you status of your DPS chip. If you see D????????????, the chip is bad and you need to do reballing or to replace it.

Try first only to replace DSP chip. If this doesn't work I can send you nand firmware for reprogramming in private message.

Try first only to replace DSP chip. If this doesn't work I can send you nand firmware for reprogramming in private message.
Hi there, I have the same problem with my onkyo ht-rc440 and I believe it has a faulty dsp chip cos when pressed the buttons. It displayed "D??????" Where can I buy the replacement chip. Any help is appreciated

Hi there, I have the same problem with my onkyo ht-rc440 and I believe it has a faulty dsp chip cos when pressed the buttons. It displayed "D??????" Where can I buy the replacement chip. Any help is appreciated
Try reballing. DIsassembl HDMI board, and find somene who is doing reballing. Probably some electronic service with proper equipment and they can do it for you, and to solder it back. It could work. The other sollution, if you find chip requiere some skills to take out chip from motherboard and to solder new one. You will need besiide skills, probably IR solder station and maybe firmware, what you can see after finished soldering.

Thank you friends, I did everything you recommended! I replaced the Ram memory - it already works! Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom