• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TX-NR3007 Owner's Thread

ctlu008

Standard Member
Discuss the new Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver. What a beast.

I've had mine for about two weeks. It is missing HD Radio, which was built into several previous hi-end Onkyo receivers. Other than that I don't see anything else missing.

I've noticed a few quirky things. Someone turned it on yesterday and no sound out of the front main speakers or rear speakers. They were set to all channel stereo mode. All sound was coming out of the subwoofer. I went into the speaker settings and could not find anyway to correct it. When trying the speaker level settings all sound for right main and left main went to the subwoofer. I ended up resetting the receiver to the factory settings and everything went back to normal but of course I had to redo the configuration settings. Not sure if someone messed with the configuration or what happened.

Other thing is I accessed the receiver from a PC. The first two tabs displayed correctly but the network configuration tab displayed an error and said the receiver needed to be turned off and back on. If that didn't work it said to reset it to the factory settings. I tried both several times and the error still displays. In emails to Onkyo they walked me through the same things and last told me it was being looked into to come up with a fix. No firmware updates are available yet. I'm running the firmware that came standard with it. Think I got the first batch sent to the U.S.

In playing media files from a PC, I found that left & right do a page up / down. It isn't noted in the manual. Manual only states up & down to select a file. Even page up / down is slow with a lot of files. It needs the ability to have a popup keyboard on screen to allow entry of the first file character. Beyond that allowing search would be a further improvement.

I haven't used it for any video work yet such as playing a DVD, although it is hooked up to a tv. It is driving 4 speakers and a sub in the main room, 2 speakers in a secondary room, and 2 in a third.

Last edited:

CraigRobbo

Standard Member
Hi there.

I would apprecate if you guy could help me.

Im looking to buy the Onkyo, however i was wondering if it is possible to bi-amp the front speakers and use th Full 9.1 as well?

The way i plan to do this is use the Biamping feature (using the surround back posts) and another power amp(external) to power the rear surrounds from the pre out. would this work?
Or will it automatically disable all options since the built in amps ports are used for bi wiring?

Any help would be excellent.

Thanks

Craig

ctlu008

Standard Member
Concerning the bi-amping and preamp, I would hate to give you wrong information. I recommend you download a manual from the Onkyo website and / or email / call Onkyo.

NorthStar

Hi there.

I would apprecate if you guy could help me.

Im looking to buy the Onkyo, however i was wondering if it is possible to bi-amp the front speakers and use th Full 9.1 as well?

The way i plan to do this is use the Biamping feature (using the surround back posts) and another power amp(external) to power the rear surrounds from the pre out. would this work?
Or will it automatically disable all options since the built in amps ports are used for bi wiring?

Any help would be excellent.

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

Nope. If you bi-amp the fronts, you can only get a 7.1-channel system; unless you add an external amp to the preamp out from the channels missing.

* So, Yes, it should work. :smashin:

djradon

Standard Member
I've had mine for a few weeks and was generally happy with it until at band practice last night I hooked it up to my mixer for the first time, and...

there is an approximately half-second delay on all inputs (including digital)! When I watch movies, the receiver knows enough to synchronize the sound and video, but when I'm just playing my keyboard, there's a noticeable delay between when a note is triggered and when it is heard. For live music, a delay is intolerable. You can't be hearing a note even a split-second after you play it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions for fixing would be greatly appreciated.

Spookyville

anymore people with this unit? Was going to go for the Sony 5400, but this has the extra HDMI input and also the DAB option with the add on unit.
Any Pros/cons ? Any advice appreciated :)

CraigRobbo

Standard Member
anymore people with this unit? Was going to go for the Sony 5400, but this has the extra HDMI input and also the DAB option with the add on unit.
Any Pros/cons ? Any advice appreciated :)

Hey man, well i ended up getting mine.

Well I think so far(owned the unit for a week) Its Vastly better to my Sony(ES) in movies, but for music it lacks a little bit, however its not run in yet where as my sony is around 3 years old ,established and compleatly run in & set up to my taste, i havent finished setting the onkyo up either so there is potential yet & i guess it doesnt help im using AV- THX speakers either

The auto room calibration is superiour to sony's in my opinion.

I think theonkyo's biggest downfall is its looks, if you can get over that....Onkyo all the way.

Ihave been a very sony obsessed fan for several years...the Onkyo has been the 1st unit to convince me and tear me away from it so i am far from baised )if anything more towards sony lol)

If you need any specific info ill be more than glad to help you.

Craig

Last edited:

CraigRobbo

Standard Member
I've had mine for a few weeks and was generally happy with it until at band practice last night I hooked it up to my mixer for the first time, and...

there is an approximately half-second delay on all inputs (including digital)! When I watch movies, the receiver knows enough to synchronize the sound and video, but when I'm just playing my keyboard, there's a noticeable delay between when a note is triggered and when it is heard. For live music, a delay is intolerable. You can't be hearing a note even a split-second after you play it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions for fixing would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate.

Sorry if i would have seen this sooner i would have answered quicker.

I have a similar issue, although mine is more around 1/8th -1/16th of a second not so drastic.

When i updated firmware it improved marginally.

I think it could be an issue that could be solved via firmware,

I would contact onkyo reguarding this.

For games and movies the 16th of a second delay isnt anything thats noticeable, i only came across it because i turned my amp on and tv sound - they was out of sync.

As mentioned its nothing major for games and films for me but i can understand for live music.

Oh - Have you tried the 'Pure audio' mode seems faster for me.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Spookyville

Hey man, well i ended up getting mine.

Well I think so far(owned the unit for a week) Its Vastly better to my Sony(ES) in movies, but for music it lacks a little bit, however its not run in yet where as my sony is around 3 years old ,established and compleatly run in & set up to my taste, i havent finished setting the onkyo up either so there is potential yet & i guess it doesnt help im using AV- THX speakers either

The auto room calibration is superiour to sony's in my opinion.

I think theonkyo's biggest downfall is its looks, if you can get over that....Onkyo all the way.

Ihave been a very sony obsessed fan for several years...the Onkyo has been the 1st unit to convince me and tear me away from it so i am far from baised )if anything more towards sony lol)

If you need any specific info ill be more than glad to help you.

Craig

thanks for the info. not too worried about looks. my main driver was 6 HDMI inputs for all my devices which is why settled on the Sony 5400 until I heard about this beauty. The number of inputs, the networking and the DAB option have pushed the scale in its favour now though. Just need to sort the cash out now :D

CraigRobbo

Standard Member
thanks for the info. not too worried about looks. my main driver was 6 HDMI inputs for all my devices which is why settled on the Sony 5400 until I heard about this beauty. The number of inputs, the networking and the DAB option have pushed the scale in its favour now though. Just need to sort the cash out now :D
I have its little brother the 1007, however from what i hear its the same amplification system just pumping out an extra 5 watts or so. (plus usb and hdmi's)

Let us know how you get on.

Craig

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom