Onkyo TX-NR 686 owners thread.

Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on only recievers for me. I own the 686 it is hooked up to my Xbox one X and I am using the LG B7.
When I watch Dolby vision content the AV states that it is running full 4k Ycbr422 24 bit which is only 8 biy colpur, I was under the impression that Dolby vision was 10 or 12 bit, is it possible the AV reciever is just displayong the wrong details? In the manual it says thay the 686 only outputs ycbr422 at 12bit,can anyone please help
What does the Xbox one X show it's outputting? My Panasonic 820 is outputting ycbr444 12bit Dolby vision. Do you have a Premium certified HDMI cable from your Xbox to the 686 and a Premium certified HDMI cable from the 686 to the LG b7? I'M thinking it could be a cable issue or wrong setting in the Xbox one X?

What does the Xbox one X show it's outputting? My Panasonic 820 is outputting ycbr444 12bit Dolby vision. Do you have a Premium certified HDMI cable from your Xbox to the 686 and a Premium certified HDMI cable from the 686 to the LG b7? I'M thinking it could be a cable issue or wrong setting in the Xbox one X?
I have premium cables and I have set my Xbox to Dolby vision 4k on 10 bit and 12 bit and also Dolby vision is on the on the reciever. I have contacted onkyo and they said that it only suppprts pass through via Dolby vision that doesn't t make sense to me.

I have premium cables and I have set my Xbox to Dolby vision 4k on 10 bit and 12 bit and also Dolby vision is on the on the reciever. I have contacted onkyo and they said that it only suppprts pass through via Dolby vision that doesn't t make sense to me.
You have all your settings correct then on your Xbox so it's the Onkyo 686 that's not showing the correct details .As with other Onkyo owners my 686 states it's receiving RGB 24Bit from Dolby Vision 12Bit. My LG c7 still shows Dolby vision while connected via the Onkyo 686 though so I think the Onkyos are just stating the wrong details.

After doing an auto setup with this receiver,I have noticed that some of the speaker to listening distances are way out.Do I now manually adjust these or leave well alone?(Novice here so please treat gently!)Many thanks.

Last edited:
After doing an auto setup with this receiver,I have noticed that some of the speaker to listening distances are way out.Do I now manually adjust these or leave well alone?(Novice here so please treat gently!)Many thanks.
The AccuEQ calibration is measuring the acoustic distances from the speakers/subwoofer to your mic placement. That's what it is supposed to do. Basically it measures how far the sound takes to arrive and not the physical distance of the speakers. How did it do with your subwoofer distance/level? What speakers/subwoofer are you using?

The AccuEQ calibration is measuring the acoustic distances from the speakers/subwoofer to your mic placement. That's what it is supposed to do. Basically it measures how far the sound takes to arrive and not the physical distance of the speakers. How did it do with your subwoofer distance/level? What speakers/subwoofer are you using?
I am using focal sib evo 5.1.2 package.Sub measurement ok.I have re- calibrated with the mic. in a more prominent position.All measurements are out by around 1-2m. but they are "equally" out,if they makes sense?Balance and timings sound good to my untrained ears so probably leave alone for now unless someone thinks otherwise.Many thanks.

Can anyone assist, on the 686 is there a way to assign a preferred listening mode and an alternative if that is not available? For instance I would like DD when that is being broadcast and THX when it isn't. At the moment if I watch a programme that is DD and the next programme or film isn't, it reverts to Stereo and I have to manually change it. I'm pretty sure my old Onkyo gave me options? Also are there any video upscaling options because I don't seem to be able to find those either?

When watching 4K content with DtsX or Dolby Atmos is it best to have the amp setting to direct? Or if I press the movie/tv function once more the output will be either DtsX or Dolby Atmos depending on the input. I’m assuming this is now the amp doing the decoding of the sound. Will this lose any sound quality from the disc or improve it? For example input will be DtsX master audio and output is DtsX 7.1

I have a 7.1 set up with 2 x ceiling speakers so looking for best setting for my set up

Can anyone assist, on the 686 is there a way to assign a preferred listening mode and an alternative if that is not available? For instance I would like DD when that is being broadcast and THX when it isn't. At the moment if I watch a programme that is DD and the next programme or film isn't, it reverts to Stereo and I have to manually change it. I'm pretty sure my old Onkyo gave me options? Also are there any video upscaling options because I don't seem to be able to find those either?
The 686 does not have any video upscale options, it just passes the video through. If you want to listen to multichannel audio with no processing then choose Direct mode as that is the purist audio. I have my 686 set to THX for 5.1 multichannel movie audio and Direct for DTSX/Atmos as the 686 does not apply THX processing for DTSX/Atmos. Then when a 2 channel source is detected it automatically reverts to Stereo. I use Stereo mode for 2 channel audio as it then uses the Subwoofer. But 2 channel in Direct mode only uses the Front L/R speakers and sends them a full range signal without the Subwoofer as it should if you use the Subwoofer out jack on the back of the 686. So if i'm understanding you correctly when DD multichannel audio is being sent to the 686 you should choose Direct mode and once you have selected THX for 2 channel audio it should then automatically select Direct mode for DD Multichannel and THX for 2 channel audio.

When watching 4K content with DtsX or Dolby Atmos is it best to have the amp setting to direct? Or if I press the movie/tv function once more the output will be either DtsX or Dolby Atmos depending on the input. I’m assuming this is now the amp doing the decoding of the sound. Will this lose any sound quality from the disc or improve it? For example input will be DtsX master audio and output is DtsX 7.1

I have a 7.1 set up with 2 x ceiling speakers so looking for best setting for my set up
When listening to DTSX/Atmos use Direct mode for the purist audio.

Hi,

I have so far not properly set-up my Onkyo 686 as I don't have a tv. I have a PC and a projector, but I can't figure out how to get to the Onkyo's setup menu using these.

Can I setup the Onkyo without a tv? Using my PC and/or projector? Please help!

Many thanks,

Larry

Hi,

I have so far not properly set-up my Onkyo 686 as I don't have a tv. I have a PC and a projector, but I can't figure out how to get to the Onkyo's setup menu using these.

Can I setup the Onkyo without a tv? Using my PC and/or projector? Please help!

Many thanks,

Larry
Of course you can mate. I have the same setup btw, no TV. It doesn't matter you don't have a TV, anything will do. Just connect it to your projector, making sure you've selected the correct input, press the setup button (or plug in the setup mic, if you haven't done this yet, or want to do it again), and the menu should pop up on your screen/wall.

Hi!
I have setup my Onkyo TX-NR 686 I am very disappointed:
- the audio is flat, without dynamic - seems like an mp3 audio file 64kbps compressed;
- the bass is in-existent and the treble same; I set the tone (bass and treble) to +10dB to get all specter - using volume between 40-50%
- when changing modes - I hear the sounds of the internal relays

My setup:
- receiver configured with 5.1.2 speaker, but no sub (Sub=Off)
- front speakers: Magnat Supreme 802 (2 floor)
- surround/atmos speakers: Pioneer S-11 (1 center, 2 surround, 2 atmos)
- audio sources: FM tuner built-in, Chromecast built-in, Cromecast HDMI, USB Flac -> no difference in audio quality (stereo mode)

I compared the same set-up (speakers/room) with my previous receiver, Denon AVR-X1500H in 5.1.2 configuration with and without subwoofer:
- the audio has good dynamic and not flat (dynamic EQ and dynamic volume set on)
- no need to adjust manually bass/treble
- the bass was so powerfull (stereo music/surround movies) that I get out my subwoofer (Magnat 302A); the front speakers (Magnat) replaced very well the sub

What I don't liked on Denon: the very poor management of sources (including the two apps for remote and play music), the ugly TV interface, the lack of Chromecast built-in, the lack of Zone 2 pre-out, the noise of internal relays when turn volume after 50%...

The sound of Denon I compared with my previous stereo amplifier Pioneer A-10-K (2x50W, with Loudness = ON and Direct = OFF) and speakers Magnat 802. The audio source is PC audio out with FLAC music.

There are some settings to improve the audio quality (warm sound with good dynamic)?
Thank you!

I am looking at buying a new t.v. this year that supports both DV. and HDR10+.The information supplied by Onkyo suggests that it does not pass HDR10+ through.Is getting HDR10+ to my t.v.as well as say, full fat atmos from my disc spinner a non starter?Or is there a work around?Plugging the disc spinner directly into the t.v. probably solves HDR10+ but I will loose full fat atmos.Anyone got a solution?

I am looking at buying a new t.v. this year that supports both DV. and HDR10+.The information supplied by Onkyo suggests that it does not pass HDR10+ through.Is getting HDR10+ to my t.v.as well as say, full fat atmos from my disc spinner a non starter?Or is there a work around?Plugging the disc spinner directly into the t.v. probably solves HDR10+ but I will loose full fat atmos.Anyone got a solution?

Most UHD disc players include 2 HDMI outputs. You can configure the player to output the audio via one of those outputs to your AV receiver while the other output is used to convey video directly to the display. This allows you to convey video your AVR cannot handle to the display while still being able to access HD audio formats and Atmos via the receiver.

Most UHD disc players include 2 HDMI outputs. You can configure the player to output the audio via one of those outputs to your AV receiver while the other output is used to convey video directly to the display. This allows you to convey video your AVR cannot handle to the display while still being able to access HD audio formats and Atmos via the receiver.
Thanks,I am a bit of a muppet!Seems completely obvious now.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new user and owner here.
I’m trying to stream audio from my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2 but the receiver just says “access denied by server” when I select it. I can stream audio and video to both my Sony Blu-ray player and my amazon fire sticks via Kodi with no issues and I have tried playing around with the NAS settings for the audio share but it makes no difference. Has anyone actually got this working from a NAS? I’m pretty sure it will work from my pc but I don’t want to have to fire that up just to play audio.
Any help appreciated!

I bought a 686 a few weeks ago. I have previously had a 626 and 656, both of which I was pretty happy with soundwise. And the 686 doesn't disappoint either.

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I bought this receiver 6 months ago, and I am very pleased so far.

I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to have Zone 2 just clone Zone 1. I have Zone 2 running to my kitchen, and if I do have it on I have the same sound as in the living room. It’s kind of a pain to change it all the time.

I tried to run an RCI cable from the Zone 2 / Line Out poets into the CD input, and then set Zone 2 to CD. It seems like that should have worked, but it did not.

Has anybody had success with this?

I've recently upgraded my tv to a Samsung Qled and found out my Onkyo NR515 does not properly support 4K passthrough from my Nvidia Shield when in 4K mode, I believe its because the amp can't passthrough the HDR or HDCP , eventhough it actually supports 4K and upscalling:-(

I've been looking at the Onkyo NR686, Sony STR-DN1080 and Denon AVRX2500H? Looking on this forum it seems there are lots of handshake and connection issues with the Sony. The Denon appears to sounds dull and has possible pic quality problems. I've heard that the Onkyo NR686 doesn't sound as good as the Sony but I not heard about any other problems. Can anyone tell me is there any significant sound improvements from my NR515 to the NR686??

The NR515 was actually quite a good amp in its day but getting on a bit now.

(Samsung Qled, Onkyo TX-NR515, Nvidia Shelid TV, Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Bluray, PS4, B&W Speakers)

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I bought this receiver 6 months ago, and I am very pleased so far.

I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to have Zone 2 just clone Zone 1. I have Zone 2 running to my kitchen, and if I do have it on I have the same sound as in the living room. It’s kind of a pain to change it all the time.

I tried to run an RCI cable from the Zone 2 / Line Out poets into the CD input, and then set Zone 2 to CD. It seems like that should have worked, but it did not.

Has anybody had success with this?

Well according to the manual it isn't just possible, its a feature. See page 65 - Multizone.

6nui3r.jpg

Seriously considering buying this online. Only concern left is the size, whether it will fit my TV console? Hope there will be a kind owner can help provide more detailed size information (I know the general size is published by Onkyo)

1. What is the depth of the receiver, excluding the front knobs but including the speaker posts or wifi antenna (whichever is deeper)

2. What is the distance between the front of the enclosure to the front of the bottom front "leg"? What is the spacing between the front of the bottom front "leg" and the back of the bottom back "leg"?

Thanks in advance

Theres a new fw out (Version 1040-7000-1050-0010) .

New or updated features:
Adds support for eARC
Add setting to switch "Standard" and "Enhanced" according to HDMI 4K signal format
Adds Amazon Music to net apps
Adds support for AirPlay2
Minor bug fixes and stability improvements

Firmware support document here.

Seriously considering buying this online. Only concern left is the size, whether it will fit my TV console? Hope there will be a kind owner can help provide more detailed size information (I know the general size is published by Onkyo)

1. What is the depth of the receiver, excluding the front knobs but including the speaker posts or wifi antenna (whichever is deeper)

2. What is the distance between the front of the enclosure to the front of the bottom front "leg"? What is the spacing between the front of the bottom front "leg" and the back of the bottom back "leg"?

Thanks in advance

The unit dimensions are W 43.5cm x D 35cm (inc vol knob depth) x H 17cm (inc. foot height). Unfortunately my unit is in my rack so I can't tell how much extra depth the speaker posts etc add to the dimensions. And I cant measure the distance between the feet either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom