Quantcast

Onkyo TX-NR 686 owners thread.

RiseAbove

Direct and Pure both bypass tone and equalisation, and Pure also turns off the front display as well to remove as much interference as possible from the audio stream. Both sound too thin for my liking.

You hit the nail on the head.
out of interest what do you have yours set to Jonny?

I apologise the second part of my previous question maybe didn’t read as I wanted it too, with the “movie” “game” and “music” options on the remote control there are presets within each those, do they vary from say the “direct” setting on “movie” to “music”? Or is it purely an equaliser-type improvement?

JonnyTester

I have my record deck on the CD input (it is too far away from the receiver to use the phono stage) and on Stereo mode. I have treble and bass up full across all sources, and eq as shown in the pic below for music. My sub crossover is 120Hz. I like to hear the bass in my records, so whereas I normally keep the sub at 0db, I jack it up to +4db when listening to music.

I never use any of the "virtual" settings, and try to stick with 1:1 output, ie if the source audio is DD+, I leave the output at that.

IMG_20200119_155544.jpg

ozweego0o

Novice Member
I am having issues with initial setup of my new NR686.

No video signal when I first power up. Display on Onkyo reads initial setup - see tv, but no signal.
Could be a cable issue, handshake issue, or something else, just wondering if I am missing something simple here.

Here is my setup:
Onkyo NR686
Vizio P65-e1

Using this cable to run from Onkyo HDMI out to the ARC input on TV. Have tried other HDMI inputs on TV as well, because I won't need ARC function. TV is just serving as display, all components are routed through Onkyo. Of note, I have a 40+ ft distance from TV to closet, hence the use of redmere cable. And yes the source and TV ends of the cable are plugged into appropriate device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JH70UQ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any info or ideas is great, thanks!

stp28

Bought one on sale at Best Buy. Set it up with 4x Pioneer Andrew Jones towers + center + Atmos add-ons (on front speakers) + 2x Pioneer Andrew Jones Elite subs. Use mainly Firestick 4k for content.

Initial thoughts:

AccuEq driving me crazy - kept getting ambient noise error in a dead-quiet environment. Finally fixed it by lowering the tripod about 6 inches. Accurate distances and levels, but sets subwoofer +5. Seems way too hot for the subs. Kept the distances and levels but not running w/ any of the eq settings because I don't trust it.

Was getting weird reverbs from the Atmos speaker - turned AccuReflex setting to "off" and it fixed the problem.

After working through all that, sounds pretty great. Tested w/ the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes (vocals always give me trouble in that one), John Wick (to test Atmos), and Daft Punk Random Access Memories album (mainly for bass).

hristvic

I have decided to upgrade from TX-NR626 to 686 in order to receive the so wanted HDR format...Very excited at the beginning...But then :(

The new TX-NR686 came just yesterday and I hook it up to the front channels Q Acoustics 3050i and began testing with music...

When listening to music (Flac and DSD), the old 626 was way more clear, sounds far more powerful, fills the room with dynamic and decent stereo picture, it was able to present a great sound stage. On the other hand - 686 feels washy, lack of punch, feels like the front channels are struggling to deliver what they are capable...
I am about to say that I dont like EQ settings, additional volume gain (Inteli Volume), additional processing or what so ever else buls*ts, that can alter the original audio format - playing as recorded. Just a proper distance settings and corssovers - thats all I use.

I dont know what is the reason for this huge tonal difference, but it is what it is. Verdict is that I might try to sell a 2 days old receiver and go for something else.

Is it possible to return when bought from Amazon, Germany? I am not sure, never done that.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
With my 606 and 828 the stereo to five channel was flawless.
With the 868 there is no allowance for speakers so you get slight but noticeable echos.

RiseAbove

Bought one on sale at Best Buy. Set it up with 4x Pioneer Andrew Jones towers + center + Atmos add-ons (on front speakers) + 2x Pioneer Andrew Jones Elite subs. Use mainly Firestick 4k for content.

Initial thoughts:

AccuEq driving me crazy - kept getting ambient noise error in a dead-quiet environment. Finally fixed it by lowering the tripod about 6 inches. Accurate distances and levels, but sets subwoofer +5. Seems way too hot for the subs. Kept the distances and levels but not running w/ any of the eq settings because I don't trust it.

Was getting weird reverbs from the Atmos speaker - turned AccuReflex setting to "off" and it fixed the problem.

After working through all that, sounds pretty great. Tested w/ the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes (vocals always give me trouble in that one), John Wick (to test Atmos), and Daft Punk Random Access Memories album (mainly for bass).
I had this with the atmos accuReflex turned on, it’s really bad and sounds like your listening in a deep cave. Not sure how to set it up correctly, I’m guessing distance needs to be set correctly maybe? I turned it off anyway and the problem went away, I haven’t even ran the calibrator and mic yet as I know from experience how bad the accuEQ can be, I’ve left it as out of the box settings and it isn’t half bad.

Top Bottom