1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-DS989 2nd Upgrade announced

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Reiner, Jun 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think ONKYO are doing a 'Denon' on the 989 amp.
    I'm sure i read that there is a MKII amp being made which includes the ULTRA 2 badging etc.......
    (Bit like the A1SE upgrade V A1SR)
    Of course i could be wrong!

When i demo'd the Velodyne HGS-18, the amp used for the surround sound was the 989..

Sounded v.good

Adzman

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Onkyo has done a SW upgrade for the 989 long before Denon started it, hence "Onkyo TX-DS989 2nd Upgrade announced".

I also heard the rumour about a new model, in fact I would not be surprised as all current units (i.e. newly produced) include the 1st upgrade already ("MkII").
    So the one with the latest upgrade shouldn't be different and thus be called MkIII - or they may give it a totally different name, who knows!?

4. seven

seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    The 989 upgrade for ultra II and 24/96 will push the processor to it's limit, so when 989's go back for the upgrade they will be fitted with a new processor, so if there are any more future upgrades they can be done without any problems, as you said this is it's second upgrade, the 989's that are already out there with PLII, descrete 6.1 etc. already have av sinc. delay up to 120ms which is really good!.
    the 989 will still be here unless things change, ie, more than seven channels of amplification, IMO this is a TRUE future proof product unlike some other brands who were very reluctant to upgrade there product, the 989 has been around since denons AVC A1D.

anyway hope this is of interest.

seven

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears that this amplifier is in the same standard as the Denon A1SR and the big Pioneer or do you feel there is much difference?

Dave