1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-DS898

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Semiskimmed1976, Sep 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hey all,

I've been considering a number of amps for a while, and the decision has been been a tricky one - I was set on a number of Pioneer models seeing how good the reviews are esp from a number of you on the boards.

Anyway I went to local audio shop and basically they had none of the Pioneers that I was interested...but instead they showed the Onkyo TX-DS898 and offered it to me for £1,100 being that its an ex-display.

He set it up with the speakers i'm interested in (MS THX speaker package)...and compared to what I have now...I was really impressed!!! Offered this speaker package to me for £1,300.

However (the a$$ licking bit) I know you peeps know what your talking about :smoke: so I really trust your opinions on this setup and whether its a good balanced system and whether i'm getting a good deal. I'm pretty sure I can't find the speaker package much cheaper, but not knowing much about the AMP does this have a good review?

Thanks in advance for your views!!

Matt

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought for that price it would be an absolute steal especially since it'll be roughly the same price as the (unreleased) AX5i. I looked at a few Onkyo's before I bought my Pioneer 2011 and really liked the look of the 898 but was way beyond my price range.

It's an £1800 ish amp for £1100 - you liked the sound of it so what are you waiting for go get it.

Should add that it would probably murder any Pioneer short of the AX10i

Check user reviews out here -

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125784_2718crx.aspx

But take with a pinch of salt

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is the amp the upg or upg2 version ? Will make a pretty big difference to the price.

If it's a upg2 that is a very good price. You can compare the versions here .

Haven't owned the Onkyo amp myself but I've only ever seen favourable reviews & appears to be loved by owners here. Certainly has impressive specs.

4. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have to be honest I'm not sure - I didn't realise there was an upg & upg2 version - i'll check it out...how much normally does an upgrade cost then? Also does an upgrade suggest that in its original form, the amp has problems???

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The 989 is nothing short of fantastic - the upgrade usually costs £400 and adds THX Ultra 2 to the party! (Basically Onkyo have had this amp as their flagship for years, the initial upgrade added THX Ultra, and the second THX Ultra2)

Once the NR1000 is out I think this amp will finally be laid to rest, well at least I can't imagine that many more upgrades will be done. However, this is still one of the greatest amps to grace the industry and a bargain not to be missed!

6. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just check the fan noise. Early models had a loud background noise level, so you might want to run it for a while.

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The fan noise is a valid point regarding Onkyo amps; I seem to remember them being quite loud on the 989 . Onkyo did fix this problem, however, and I cant remember this ever being a problem with the 898.
    The 898, a THX select amp, is a completely different kettle of carp to the 989 and cannot be upgraded. I haven't heard the 898, but have the 989 and 696 (confusing names or what?) and think them pretty good for AV but lacking in musicality compared with similar NAD or Harman/Kardon amps.

However, you must consider the price you are getting the 898 for. At £1100, it's "sound per pound ratio" (if you see what I mean?) is very impressive and I suspect that, as an all-round package, you won't find better for less.

Those Mordaunt Short THX speakers are very good indeed. Use the CD you'll get to properly set up the power towers or they may sound a bit lumpy.

Russell

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oops.........Sorry semiskimmed1976........ I misread your original post for 989 instaed of 898 :blush:

As posted by russraf this is very different & the 898 doesn't have the upg2 version etc....sorry:rolleyes:

9. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No probs Vonhosen - I did realise, but out of respect I kept quiet ;)

Anyway thanks for everyone's opinions - I think i'm gonna put my money down for it sharpish...at the end of the day, I liked what I heard...and its gonna be a lot better than what I have now (don't ask, to embarrassed!! :blush:)

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have the 898.. never heard a sound from it with regards to the fan (did not even know there was one).

I love this amp.. nice solid build.. great pronto remote as standard..and sounds the biz.. I also got mine for £1100 from sevenoaks Hifi. My only winch about it is the lack of binding posts that can take banana plugs you have to use bare wire!.

Anything else you would like to know?

Had mine since January.. no problems.. you get a 3 yr warranty.. and its never put a foot wrong. Currently upgrading speakers from Missions to Gallos. I cannot see any reason to upgrade the amp in the near future.. also just going to 7.1 as I have only been using 5 so far!

Matt

11. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thats brilliant, cheers Matt.

The only issue i've seen regarding this amp, is concerns about its bass management. Have you ever found this? Mind you the reviews said this only came into play when using the full 7.1 setup. Even so, i've seen more good than bad, so i've got no qualms about getting it.

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    What issues that then? I am about to go 7.1. but from setting up the screen you just set the speakers small/large and the sub on/off.

If you were not using 7.1 then you could instead have a powered 2nd zone running off those speakers..

Currently I have all speakers set to small, sub on and 2nd zone/extra surrounds set to off

Cheers

Matt

13. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    In one of the earlier posts - Dazed

Near to the end of the reviews, one guy mentioned how poor the Bass Management was when in 7.1 mode only, 5.1 and 6.1 I think he said was uneffected - but I can't find any other reference to it from other users.

14. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I do remember there being issues with a humming sounds from one of the channels which some US users had problems with.. but it should be remembered that the US 898 is not the same as the Euro one. We actually get the better spec machine hence the Onkyo Integra badge on the front -- better internal components I believe (In the US there is Onkyo and Integra brands) and they also do not get the pronto remote.

I will be trying 7.1 very soon.. I have the extra speakes just need to get some cables.. though I do not think there will be any issues.

So are u going for it then ?

Cheers

Matt

15. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well you've just made my mind up for me telling me the difference between US and Euro - Damn right i'm going for it :)

Let me know how it goes in 7.1 cause I won't be doing this straight away...

Matt

"Once a rich man, soon to be very very poor!"

16. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made the same mistake and was talking about the fan on the 989.