1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-DS898 any good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Jun 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been wanting to upgrade my amp now for about 2 month's and have been stuck on whether to go for the Pioneer AX10 or the Denon A1SR (check my previous threads). I was almost ready to go for the AX10 until a friend said "what about the Onkyo TX-DS898? Its 500 quid cheaper than them two" So could anyone who has heard or had any experiences with this amp please tell me if its worth getting or not.

Cheers

2. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Have you looked into getting it from Germany?
    When I last checked it was about £1200 and the 989 around £1700.
    Sorry but I do not know there WWW address off the top of my head.Search for Germany in this section and you should be sorted.
    Gary

3. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Provoking comments and associated replies deleted and user given last warning by PM not to repeat this kind of behaviour as previously done already.

4. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
  5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    There's nothing wrong with Onkyo amps whatsoever. In fact, the few onkyo amps that I have heard have been very good indeed. This included a demo of the 989 in the newcastle branch of Sevenoaks, running a brace of M&K speakers (cant remember the model numbers - 750 series?) which was easily on a par with an A1SE. I wouldn't have thought the TX-DS898 is a better amp than the AX10, though perhaps the Onkyo will offer better value for money?
    It is true that Yamaha, Denon and Marantz dominate this forum. This is because of a couple of reasons: 1) These companies make good kit (though personally, I dislike the budget Denon amps) and are popular for this reason 2) Magazines seem to review more products from the Marantz. Yamaha and, in particluar, Denon camps. This means that perhaps people are unaware of the competition from other companies, such as Onkyo, Harman/Kardon and NAD. I'm not saying that everyone is blinded by magazine reviews, but for some, a five star rating is an important factor.

Russell

6. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers guys, just wondering does anyone on the forum have the Onkyo amp in question.

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    my mate has the 989 and i think for films its better than the denon avc a1se (which i own!). its got better steering and seems a little faster and if you have a projector its much easier to use to switch with as it converts composite to s video. musically, i prefer the denon's pure direct but don't rule out the Onkyo!
    (hope that helps);)

8. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for that DTS-boy.
    Hope my 989 deal goes through OK.
    Gary