1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-DS595

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aspick, Jun 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. aspick

aspick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Does anyone have any personal opinion on this receiver? Or can you point me to an online review.

I have just bought the Kef KHT2005 speaker package and have these hooked up to my Tosh 32" widescreen currently.

I don't currently have an amp. I was tempted to go for the Denon 3801 but Pro Logic II (which the Onkyo does) sounds interesting because I do watch a lot of Sky Digital stuff (as well as DVD's a couple of times a week maybe)

Should I hang out for Denon releasing newer models (equivalent to the 3801) but which will do DPL II ???

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I can only point to a printed review in this months What Hi-Fi.
    They gave it 5 stars, and gave good remarks re the Dolby Pro-Logic II.

I have bought one to also use with Kef 2005.
    However, I haven't got it home yet, as I wanted Silver, and the store only had black.

I will let you know how it all sounds in situ at the weekend (hopefully if it arrives)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought one a few weeks ago.

To me, it sounds very clear, and very precise. it's a great behemoth of a receiver, and of course has the excellent Dolby Pro-Logic II. The ONLY problem, is that the bass is not that great. You really need a subwoofer if you like your bass. I have these large floorstanders that love bass, and are missing out abit with this receiver. I will need to buy a subwoofer some time later.

It is definitely the best pro-logic II receiver in the price range. (Just not very bassy). The only other contender is the Kenwood KRF-X9050d, but What Hi Fi gave the Kenwood a 3*, and this a 5*. So there you go.

Hope it helps.

Abid

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I have just bought the Onkyo 595 and also the Kef 2005s.

I can only say I am very pleased!

It was reviewed in this months What Hi-fi. It gets 5 stars, along with the Yamaha 620.

First impressions from me are
    1. beautiful build quality. Feels like a mercedes.
    2. Very easy to use. nice big display, good remote with joystick. Though it doesnt seem to have an onscreen display, or I havent found it yet (I am not switching and video through it). The display is so good though I can easily read it across the other side of the room
    3. All the surround modes are great. DPL II is good - not just on movies but things like MTV - it has different movie and music modes
    4. I wish the 'late night listening' set up was a bit more accessible - like its own button - rather than having to set it as a preference - and hence remember to unset it too.
    5. Works a treat with the 2005s

anything else just ask