1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-DS595 & Sky Digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ohlhausen, Nov 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ohlhausen

ohlhausen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't get my Onkyo TX-DS595 remote to learn the Sky Digital (Panasonic TU-DSB20) infrared commands. Neither via using the Panasonic Sat Code (704), nor via the button-by-button learning approach. Has anybody succeeded in doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated. I promised my wife to get rid of all these different remotes in return for putting a speaker in every corner of the living room!

Ralf
    PS: I could not get an answer in the Remote Control forum, so I thought I try here...

2. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had no problems getting my Onkyo TX-DS595 remote to learn the commands of my Ondigital/ITV Digital remote (Nokia). In fact it has learnt everything I've thrown at it so far - Panasonic TV, Marantz CD player, Akai VCR, etc.

Have you tried to do this with any other remotes (it should work with anything)? Make sure the two remotes are lined up properly - the Onkyo remote needs to 'see' the infra red output from the Panasonic remote. Finally read the manual again! It sounds obvious but the buttons you need to press to store a preset code or the button-by-button approach are different. The first time I tried the button-by-button approach it didn't work - then I read the manual properly!

Hope this helps.

3. ohlhausen

ohlhausen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I have finally found a solution ... so for those interested:

The Onkyo remote seems to need a full reset before trying to program in Sky codes. Such a reset (holding down the buttons "on" and "standby" while taking the batteries out and in followed by pressing "enter") deletes everything (!) that was manually programmed, but also seems to get rid of any corruptions. The Panasonic 3-digit code would still not work, but at least I was then able to use the button-by-button learning.

Talking about corruption ... the initial remote I got with the receiver suddenly died in the middle of a programming sequence and would not do anything at all anymore - not even the full reset, which I tried there for the first time. Hifijunkies and Onkyo were very quick in sending a replacement (thanks Jason!). While programming the new one I had the same problem, only that this time, by coincidence, I found out how to cure the problem (press one Mode button, while taking the batteries out and in), which surely enough brought the first remote back to life as well!

Both of these "factory new" remotes I was sent required this full reset before accepting any Sky remote commands, which suggests that there is something unwanted in their memory when they leave the factory...

4. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange you've had this problem. I've programmed a 595 remote from a Sky digibox r/c with no problems. As all sky remotes are identical Philips built units yours should go without all the messing about.