Onkyo TX-607 and TX-608 posible to *hack*?

ZorgX

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey

Im fixing my amp and the one to my brother, and i love the good layout on the "printcards" and i also found 2 service ports (that i didnt see with the top on) and Serial (tx,rx,grn and 5w) and Jtag :)

This made me wondring is it posible to .. hack the amps and add stuff from other amps in same "family"? like get 4k support ? fix the overlayer things and make it "up to date" just without network card and usb ?

I try to conect to the serial but i did only get "snow" yet, so maybe i need to make a brigde some there ?

Guess nobody care and i shud buy to new amps :p but i woud love to have some fun with them insted of sell them as second hand =/

And one last thing, does anybody know if the size,input\output, is "standard" for onkyo, so you can buy a hdmi card for a new onkyo and put it in 607 or 608?

Last edited:
The simple answer is no and you cannot hack the receiver to add unsupported features.

That was a weird answer. As far as I know, you can log in as root via UART. If the files are not signed, you can edit the ones you want, if signed, you can replace files with files from other recivers in the same family that have the same structure.

I think what you are trying to say is that you do not know how to do it and you are not interested in it. Ithink its quite sad to upgrading a reciver just because of codecs. They've got everything 1.4 hdmi so it's only software that prevents it from playing 4K.

I think the issue might be that this forum does not tend to support people discussing things that might not be strictly 'legal'. I guess that it isn't illegal to modify your own hardware, but if it means possibly stealing some software or firmware to do it, then it might be illegal. I'm not sure.

Either way, I don't think you will get much input from these forums.

hmm .. It is not illegal to change the hardware and software you have purchased. You lose the warranty if you open a product, but these were produced in 09 and 10 so the warranty period is already over.

Sharing an entire copyrighted file may be illegal if you do not have any permission to do so.

However, for example, to write: see file xxx.dll, go to line 666 and change atoms: fales to atoms: true is completely legal. This is just a simple example.

The reson i was asking here is because i have see other post about "hacking" onkyo here...

hmm .. It is not illegal to change the hardware and software you have purchased. You lose the warranty if you open a product, but these were produced in 09 and 10 so the warranty period is already over.

Sharing an entire copyrighted file may be illegal if you do not have any permission to do so.

However, for example, to write: see file xxx.dll, go to line 666 and change atoms: fales to atoms: true is completely legal. This is just a simple example.

The reson i was asking here is because i have see other post about "hacking" onkyo here...
Okay fair enough. I don't know how to do it, but sounds interesting - good luck!

That was a weird answer. As far as I know, you can log in as root via UART. If the files are not signed, you can edit the ones you want, if signed, you can replace files with files from other recivers in the same family that have the same structure.

I think what you are trying to say is that you do not know how to do it and you are not interested in it. Ithink its quite sad to upgrading a reciver just because of codecs. They've got everything 1.4 hdmi so it's only software that prevents it from playing 4K.

I see, so you can load software that exploits the abilities of later chipsets into older ones and still exploit those same capabilities?

The answer is no. You cannot give an older revision chipset the capabilities of a newer one by simply revising its firmware. THe hardware also has to be compliant in order to facilitate the newer capabilities.

I see, so you can load software that exploits the abilities of later chipsets into older ones and still exploit those same capabilities?

The answer is no. You cannot give an older revision chipset the capabilities of a newer one by simply revising its firmware. THe hardware also has to be compliant in order to facilitate the newer capabilities.

i guess yes and no... for something to work both hardware and software need to support it, if the hardware support it but not the software, its posible to edit the software to support it. If the hardware dont support it, you need to understand the software to edit it to support it.. some basic limits is memory and cpu power.

But i guess codecs etc is most of a lisens thing, so .. onkyo need to pay for having to support stuff, therfor they dont make older models support new stuff, and they also want to sell the new recivers..

And yes you cant make a amp that is 5.1 50w to be 9.1 300w xD that i beliv everybody understand (without doing a masiv changes to the hardwares).

I think both 607 and 608 is quite good amps :) but i miss Atoms and 4k. And i beliv it dont take any cpu\gpu power to just transfer the 4k stream from a blurayplayer\xbox one without touthing it..

Last edited:
You mention 4k, but neither the 607 or the 608 has an HDMI chipset that would allow for HDCP 2.2 compliance. You'd need at least HDMI version 2.0 to be able to gain such compliance so no, you cannot update these receivers firmware to give them true UHD support. This isn't simply a matter of codecs or licensing. You'd also not have the processing power needed for formats such as DTS:X. Older receiver simply cannot handle this. Again, HDR10 isn't a possibility either because of the HDMI chipsets used. You cannot impliment HDR10 passthrough with HDMI chipsets prior to versio 2.0. Technically you shouldn't be able to impliment it without at least an HDMI version 2.0a chipset, but some manufacturers did management to revise the HDMI 2.0 chipsets to allow for HDR10 passthrough.

Last edited:
hmm.. yes and no, 1.4 support 4k over hdmi.
hdmi_pic2.png

4K resolution is not UHD. HDCP 2.2 is used to protect all commercial UHD film and TV content. Without HDCP 2.2 compliance you cannot passthrough UHD commercial video content. You cannot implement HDCP 2.2 without at least an HDMI version 2.0 chipset. There also other aspects of UHD apart from the resolution and HDCP Digital protection. It supports a wider colour gammut and you also need support for 4K @ 50/60 fps.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom