Onkyo TS-SR 606 Help with setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lapchaser, Jan 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lapchaser

lapchaser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI All
    I bought my Onkyo TS sr 606 last week and i have Boston Acoustics mcs 130 5.1 speaker system.. I connected my back speakers to "Surr back speaker" is this correct? I hear sound from these speakers when i play a movie, but the initial speaker test configuration thru Audyssey 2EQ fails. I have tried swapping the speaker and it seem to be fine. should i be connecting them to "surr speakers" if i have a 5.1?

I was not getting DD options when i was trying to select Listening modes,, i read that its available only thru coaxial or optical cable is that right?

Please Help.
    Thanks and Rgds

2. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    yes you should be connecting the surround speakers to the surround terminals. the back terminals are for a 7.1 set up.

DD can be received by HDMI as well.

3. gvers

gvers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Connect them to the surr not surr back for 5.1 and rerun setup

4. lapchaser

lapchaser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response i will try it out today.

5. Oily

Oily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  6. lapchaser

lapchaser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm ,, i connected the back speakers from "surr back speakers' to 'surr speaker'' and oooh,, the initial configuration test ran fine !!! wow,, nice thanks guys,,, but .... i tried playing some movie again, sound was ok but i realised two problems

1. i went to my subwoofer and found that is not working,,(red light is on) but no vibrations nothin there, i quickly checked the subwoofer settings and saw that it is set to off,, turned it on but no change yet,

2. and my back speakers were not producing any sound ( i was playing superman returns) on my toshiba dvd player,, i think i have set it to bitsteam but i dont know what is going on yet, i

7. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    when you ran the setup did it find the sub?

and when you are now saying back speakers you mean the surrounds?

8. lapchaser

lapchaser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i ran the setup i dont think any sound came from the sub. i didnt expect any sound from it, but yes sub is connected to the "sub woofer" pre out. But as mentioned the sub woofer was set to off after the set up ran. so guess something wrong there. may be the set up did not find the sub and set it to off.

I am going to purchase digital coaxial or optical cable for digital out connection from dvd player to receiver. and will run the set up again. May be i shud set the sub to on and then run the set up again. But the sound is impressive even without the sub, i think the big speakers from Boston acoustics are doing a good job already. :) but have to see if nothing is wrong with the sub,, let me know of any other thoughts or suggestions.

This is an very interesting forum and I thank all of you in taking the time to answer questions. Appreciate every ones help.

9. hilly10

hilly10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    If you think the sound is great without the sub wait till it kicks in it will blow your socks off:smashin:

10. Oval

Oval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But remember that you need a digital audio cable connection as well if you want DD from Sky boxes - they do not transmit 5.1 over HDMI. You also have to then set the digital input using the button on the front of the receiver.

11. lapchaser

lapchaser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone i finally got everythig hooked up the way i want to. I bought a digital coaxial cable but heard from a friend any normal cable will work so connected one of my reg,whit audio cable (a good high quality though) to the coaxial port on the receiver. and the receiver recognised it automatically and when i went into menu and input assign it was already there. Then i was able to select dolby digital. also subwoofer started working when i a threw the switch on the subwoofer. and the system rocks i am satisfied with my purchase. All working fine now, next projects have to buy a HDTV, set up the speakers on the wall. and i have a set of Bose book shelf speakers thinking about connecting them and making the system 7.1.....
    rgds