Onkyo ts-dx898

B

beth0

Can anyone tell me what this amp is like, I am looking for a good quality amp/reciever and have the chance of one of these for £1100 new.
Anyone with any advice?

texasboy

Banned
I managed to hear one of these a while ago and thought that it was pretty impressive for 2k, lots of features, powerful too.
£1100 seems like a good price.

I'm sure there's lots of other amps in a similar price to the Onkyo that are really good, but for £1100 - maybe not.

Seems like a bargain.

B

beth0

So you recon its worth going for? The price is dropping due to a replacement, the txds900 i think
There is also the new pioneer vsxd2011 which i fancy(just reviewed in hifi choice getting *****)rrrp£900 can get for £750-800.
Im at a loss, what should I buy.

texasboy

Banned
I'm sure the Pioneer is very good but I reckon that the Onkyo will outperform it with it costing over x2 as much at normal price.

The Denon 11SR is probably worth looking at also if you can stretch that far.

There's definitely a lot of choice in that price bracket.

Anyone else got an opinion??????

F

Family Guy

Take a good look at the Onkyo before forking out. Has it been upgraded? When they first came out, they didn't have PLII or ES 6.1 discrete. Onkyo brought out an upgrade programme and the unit you buy should have a sticker on iy saying so.

The Pioneers are rolled out of the factory with PLII and ES 6.1 discrete.

chips

Take a good look at the Onkyo before forking out. Has it been upgraded? When they first came out, they didn't have PLII or ES 6.1 discrete. Onkyo brought out an upgrade programme and the unit you buy should have a sticker on iy saying so.

You are confusing the 898 with the 989. I don't think the 898 is upgradable but has I think got PLII & ES 6.1 discrete.

989 Upgrade 2 has the above plus THX Ultra2.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom