Onkyo sx606 help

scoobydont

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all hope someone can shed some light,I have an onkyo sx606 which I bought off a friend but for the life of me I can't set it up to the tv which is a toshiba regza 46zv555d the only connection I've made is the headphones the av works it was working fine on my friends set up.i just can't get around the assigning bit and the fact that I don't get a menu on the tv I have a hdmi going from the tv to hdmi out on the av but get nothing is there's simple step by step guide to follow as I'm not too clever at this sort of thing.sorry about grammar but I'm posting on a phone and it's awkward with my fat fingers to navigate keyboard many thanks in advane

If this model is anything like my previous Onkyo ( think it was a 605 ) you can connect an RCA phono lead to the yellow composite RCA socket marked 'Monitor Out'. That should then be connected to the yellow composite in RCA on the TV. You should then be able to change the source on the TV to composite and view the menus to assign inputs etc.

best wishes,

Col.

anorax25 said:
If this model is anything like my previous Onkyo ( think it was a 605 ) you can connect an RCA phono lead to the yellow composite RCA socket marked 'Monitor Out'. That should then be connected to the yellow composite in RCA on the TV. You should then be able to change the source on the TV to composite and view the menus to assign inputs etc.

best wishes,

Col.

Thank you I'll give it a go

Why don't you ask your mate to help you get it up and running? Do you have the manual? You should be able to download one from the internet.

The 606 default output is composite..after you have the menu up via composite set it to hdmi...

My mates moved abroad hence the sale and I haven't got the manual my only Internet access is on the phone until my laptops repaired many thanks

Mates moved abroad hence sale and I don't have the manual also only Internet access is on phone until I get my laptop from the repairs cheers

Excuse my ignorance the only yellow phono on the tv says video

That is what you will use to get the amp's menu on screen. Connect the monitor out to the composite (video) input using a composite cable.

I've done that and nothing happens thank you for your time and patience the cable I'm using is the one I would use for the sub is that the right cable cheers

You need to use a Yellow video cable. You probably have one lying around.

Is that a single yellow cable or the three phono type ie yellow red white cheers

One and the same - except you won't use the red/white audio cables.

Unfortunately I haven't got one have to buy one I'll return when I have many thanks for your time and help

iirc with my 605 when I got that and connected by HDMI to the TV the menu defaulted to display on the small LCD on the amp, not ideal but useful enough to allow you to set the menu's output to the TV, is this not the same?

Curly

I find it hard to follow on the units display I'm waiting on a video cable and will see how I get on

Ok got said video cable conected one end in video out on tv and the other end in monitor out still nothing is it meant to override the tv and come on automatically or as usual am I doing something wrong cheers

No you will need to select the AV input for the composite connection.

If you are still having problems, I would google for how to reset the AV Receiver to factory default. After that, it would appear to be faulty.

First thanks for your fast reply ok I'm a completely a novice how do I do this sorry to be a pain

Ok didn't read all your reply I'll try reset and see what happens

I've just read the 606 manual and this bit is highlighted
The onscreen setup menus appear only on a TV that is connected to the HDMI OUT. If your TV is connected to the
composite video or S-Video MONITOR OUT, or the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT, use the TX-SR606’s display when
changing settings.
so it nogo using any other cable to view the menu.

Curly

the manual is not very clear and from memory you need your TV connected via HDMI and then switch to menu, it will appear on the receivers LCD display then enter the 6.miscellaneous menu and the 2nd option is OSD which you select the TV output then the menu should if I am correct appear on the TV instead of the receivers LCD.

Curly

Ok tried what you said nothing happens may well be a fault although I can't see how as it was working perfectly before thank guys for your help anyway

try this from the manual
To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR]
button, press the [ON/STANDBY] button. “Clear”
will appear on the display and the AV receiver will
enter Standby mode.

that sets the receiver back to factory defaults, connect an HDMI cable from HDMI out on the receiver to HDMI 1 on the TV and select that input on the TV

then from the manual

Press the receiver button on the remote followed by the setup button.

The main menu appears onscreen.

Curly

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom