Onkyo Surround Sound Listening Modes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by technoholic, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Ive got a question about the simulated surround modes on my Onkyo but this may be relevant to more brands. When i watch a movie or tv show thats actually in DD or DTS, then i get the audio automatically going to the correct speakers as expected. When i use a simulated listening mode when watching 2 channel TV, such as PLII, or DTS Neo or something like that, i get much more than dialogue through the centre speaker, in fact ive currently got all my speakers disconnected as im moving stuff around, except the centre speaker, and i can watch TV and hear pretty much all the sound. Sure these surround modes are meant to pick the dialogue out and send that through the middle and everything else is processed for the surround?

Does anyone have any experience with this and if its correct?

Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Have you told the receiver that you have disconnected the other speakers? If so then it will send all the information to the centre speaker as it is the only one that is connected.
    That said Prologic etc. will use the centre for most of the sound (this is the same for DD/DTS sources where 60% or more of the total sound comes from the centre). The front L/R and rears are then created from the stereo sound track. Your findings do appear to be around what I would expect and why you should not compromise on the centre speaker in terms of position and quality.

3. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    no i havent told the receiver that anything has changed, but this was the same with all the speakers connected anyway. I knew the these modes use the centre for a lot of the sound but didnt think it was for as much as it seems to be. But if that sounds correct then thats fine, ive just upgraded the centre to a B&W CM Centre 2 so it can certainly handle it although it is in an enclosed space so i have to deal with the resonances that seem to be occurring right now

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    You really do want to get your centre out of the cabinet (I assume that is where it is). I used to have mine in my cabinet as well and made a big difference when I wall mounted it under the TV instead. Really opened up the sound.

5. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    i do, but ive just bought a new cabinet to house the new speaker, because it is the only place i can put it right now, putting it on top the cabinet and mounting the tv on the wall is not an option right now. I know it will sound better, but it sounds ok with the bungs in right now, plus im treating the cabinet to reduce it as much as possible. The auralex mopads ive ordered will hopefully reduce it further (if only a little) but will angle the speaker towards the listener more. All these things should make it as good as it can be until I move into a new place where i can set it up correctly.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    That will all help but a fair bit of sound emanates from the sides and back of the cabinet as well. This is what interacts with the cabinet and causes the boxy sound. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about this since the speaker has been designed to work in free space. Pulling the speaker as far forward as possible so that it is proud of the front of the cabinet can also help a little. However, does appear you are doing the best you can. Could you wall mount the speaker above the TV?

7. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    no the wall is not suitable for mounting anything heavy, plus its a rented place, and while i have some free reign, i dont want to do too much. It'll have to do until i move. I think i can make it sound acceptable where it is, its a shame a pricey speaker like that is not using its full potential but its the best i can do right now

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    We all have some limitations so sounds like you have done the best you can. Some foam on the sides of the cabinet around the speaker could help as well.

9. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    yeah im going to be putting some acoustic foam on the top of the opening, where is quite a big gap between the speaker and the upper shelf, but the sides dont have much space, so a piece of flat foam on either side would probably fill the gaps completely. Any ideas where I can get this sort of foam?