Onkyo sr805 display gone any ideas?

gtione

Established Member
Reaction score
My trusty Onkyo seems to have lost its display. Amp still working just no front display. I have checked the dimmer etc and all fine

Any oft else experienced this on any Onkyo amp and what the fix was?

Thx in advance.

You haven't got the 'pure audio' button pressed have you? Just a thought as that blanks the display.

No mate never used that and the blue light around that button be on, right?

Yep - if the blue light is on, the display will be off. It was just a suggestion - stranger things have happened!

To true, thx

Had a similar problem. On holiday at the moment will post link to the solution when i get home tomorrow. There is a thread on avsforums.

Small resistor requires replacement.

Last edited:
So the agents have quoted £96 to fix. Is this reasonable or are there any cheaper options out there? Not handy with electrics so the DIY fix is a no no for me.

Repair cost me approx 0.69c for the resistor - bought in Radio Shack last year while on holiday in the States.

Soldering skills are required - Brother-in-Law completed the task in around 5 minutes. Get the parts and someone with soldering experience, buy them a couple of beers and save the £96.00 (what a rip-off), hope I'm not breaking any rules linking to another site - "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - post #17388 onwards.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So the agents have quoted £96 to fix. Is this reasonable or are there any cheaper options out there? Not handy with electrics so the DIY fix is a no no for me.

Like steelman1991 said that’s a rip off:eek:, you only need two resistors which cost no more than a fiver and of course soldering skills. Mine onkyo 875 display died about five months ago and fixed it mine self, took less than an hour to do and the longest bit was trying to get the dam cable off.

Do you know someone who can solder the parts for you?

007L2Kill said:
Like steelman1991 said that’s a rip off:eek:, you only need two resistors which cost no more than a fiver and of course soldering skills. Mine onkyo 875 display died about five months ago and fixed it mine self, took less than an hour to do and the longest bit was trying to get the dam cable off.

Do you know someone who can solder the parts for you?

Hmm. Unfortunately not although I am beginning to wish I did. I suppose they have me over a barrel on this one unless I can find somebody else willing to help out.

gtione said:

Oh and this price is if I drop off and collect other wise add another £30 for carriage costs. So that would total £126 all in.

The worst thing is I have send the same unit sell in the classifieds for £150-£170.

Hmm. Unfortunately not although I am beginning to wish I did. I suppose they have me over a barrel on this one unless I can find somebody else willing to help out.

Oh and this price is if I drop off and collect other wise add another £30 for carriage costs. So that would total £126 all in.

The worst thing is I have send the same unit sell in the classifieds for £150-£170.
Well that is just stupid I thought the price included shipping so now it’s a total rip off!

Well if you know how to remove the board I am willing to do the soldering for you as long you cover me for the parts and return post as you live in the UK so that should be no problem.

Mike.:)

Why not do as suggested in the AVS thread, take it to a local electrical store and ask them to solder the part - taking the original article with you as reference. Should certainly save you the delivery charge and I would suggest a bundle of the repair cost.

Seriously save yourself some dough and don't encourage these people - at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask. Oh and time to extend your circle of friends :smashin:

007L2Kill said:
Well that is just stupid I thought the price included shipping so now it’s a total rip off!

Well if you know how to remove the board I am willing to do the soldering for you as long you cover me for the parts and return post as you live in the UK so that should be no problem.

Mike.:)

Mile, wow that is a kind offer. I live in Surrey, is that a ways from you? Can the amp still be used with that board out of play?

I would gladly cover all the expenses. Is the board easy to remove? Never opened the amp before?

Thx a million for your support with this matter!

Just one more suggestion you could get down to maplin and buy one of there soldering kits ! Ask a member of staff for help choosing one and learn to solder it will take you a day to get to a decent standard then you can repair it your self and you get a skill that always comes in useful !

The amount of repairs I do for friends and people at work I could start my own repair shop !

goujam said:
Just one more suggestion you could get down to maplin and buy one of there soldering kits ! Ask a member of staff for help choosing one and learn to solder it will take you a day to get to a decent standard then you can repair it your self and you get a skill that always comes in useful !

The amount of repairs I do for friends and people at work I could start my own repair shop !

Thx for the suggestion. I tinker and fix many many things including computers, radio controlled car & planes an things around the house.

Never really soldered before and the thought of messing up the board let alone not knowing what I am doing puts me off. And if I do make a balls up of then I gotta find £1k to replace it.

Thankfully there always very kind people on here willing to give selfishly of their time to help other people with similar interests.

Well this problem has now been solved for the pricely sum of £5 plus some postage due to a very helpful forum member to whom I am very very greatful.

The agents wanted £96 + £30 postage to replace parts the cost £3.50.

Once again a member of this forum has come to the rescue and served this community with pride.

We should be very proud..:clap::clap::clap:

My Onkyo 607 display disappeared last week also. Having seeing this thread, I ordered 20 x 10ohm -1W resistors from ebay for £1.99 delivered, which arrived today.
Lets hope it cures mine also!

dougan said:
My Onkyo 607 display disappeared last week also. Having seeing this thread, I ordered 20 x 10ohm -1W resistors from ebay for £1.99 delivered, which arrived today.
Lets hope it cures mine also!

Good luck mate let us know the outcome.

Will do!
Doing it today, just not looking forward to diconnecting it and removing it form the tv unit, cables, cables............

dougan said:
Will do!
Doing it today, just not looking forward to diconnecting it and removing it form the tv unit, cables, cables............

I feel you, been there done that but hey a good good chance to get rid of all the dust etc. good luck mate!!!

Just stripped my 607 down, and there is no display board as shown in the 805, bugger!
I just presumed it would have been the same board, I suppose the 607 is less deep so uses a different layout.

Annoying thing is, it is probably only a blown resistor, but it looks like it may be burried deeper inside the unit.
Have been quoted £130 for the repair, as the amp is nearly 3 years old, am I better off buying a new one?

dougan said:
Just stripped my 607 down, and there is no display board as shown in the 805, bugger!
I just presumed it would have been the same board, I suppose the 607 is less deep so uses a different layout.

Annoying thing is, it is probably only a blown resistor, but it looks like it may be burried deeper inside the unit.
Have been quoted £130 for the repair, as the amp is nearly 3 years old, am I better off buying a new one?

I was faced with the same issue. My repair bill would have been nearly £130 and second hand ones have sold on here for around £150.

Search around on the Internet for the offending part and then attempt the repair first.

Although a secondhand one of the same age may have the same issue lurking inside so could fail at any time after purchasing it. Getting your fixed should mean getting the problem sorted so it lasts longer.

have you checked all the internal fuses a remember seeing somewhere that this can cause this problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom