Onkyo SR606 - best way to connect devices

TobyV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have just purchased a 606 and wanted to get some expert feedback on the best way to connect everything to it. I am sure this would be useful not just for myself but for many others in a similar position.

The devices I want to attach are:
Sky HD
Xbox 360 (Non-HDMI)
HDMI DVD player (can't remember the model, it's pretty basic though(£45)

The Xbox seems straightforward enough - component for picture and optical for sound.

For Sky HD I would have thought it best to use the HDMI for both picture and sound, however I have seen a number of threads where people have said they used optical - can someplone please explain why this should be? Is it because optical can handle DD bitstream and does a better job of it than HDMI?

For the DVD player I assume the same as Sky as again there are no HD sound formats but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks very much in advance

Toby

Just dealing with the Sky HD issue: The reason you'll see people connecting the the Sky HD box via optical is that it only passes a stereo audio signal through HDMI, so if you want DD, you need to link up via optical as well.

Hat.

Thanks Had, that makes perfect sense.

Anyone else with any feedback on the other devices?:lease:

Toby

Thanks Had, that makes perfect sense.

Anyone else with any feedback on the other devices?:lease:

Toby

I would use HDMI for the DVD player assuming of course, that it will output the DD 5.1 via HDMI as well as the video source. The less wires involved the better in my opinion...

From SKY HD, Im going to have HDMI going straight to the TV and optical to the AMP.

That way, I don't need the amp on all the time.

I have a PS3 and a Sky HD.

I run PS3 to Receiver using HDMI
PS3 Optical to Receiver for sound

Sky HD to TV using HDMI
Sky HD to Receiver Digital cable for sound (if using just HDMI produces stereo not dolby digital, plus HDMI directly into TV enables to watch Sky without having receiver on all the time)

I want to know, will I still have to run a HDMI from the TV to the Receiver (TV Out) connection? Because my SKY is attached to the TV directly with the HDMI and it's the Digital cable for the sound.

Should I connect PS3 directly to the TV as well? and just use optical to the receiver for sound? If directly to TV then do I still need a HDMI from the receiver to the TV?

Don't use the optical for PS3, your missing out on HD audio from blurays. You would then need the HDMI to the amp from PS3 and HDMI from the amp to the TV.

I have a PS3 and a Sky HD.

I run PS3 to Receiver using HDMI
PS3 Optical to Receiver for sound

Sky HD to TV using HDMI
Sky HD to Receiver Digital cable for sound (if using just HDMI produces stereo not dolby digital, plus HDMI directly into TV enables to watch Sky without having receiver on all the time)

I want to know, will I still have to run a HDMI from the TV to the Receiver (TV Out) connection? Because my SKY is attached to the TV directly with the HDMI and it’s the Digital cable for the sound.

Should I connect PS3 directly to the TV as well? and just use optical to the receiver for sound? If directly to TV then do I still need a HDMI from the receiver to the TV?

Just connect SkyHD via HDMI to TV and Optical to Receiver. that way you will get audio from TV without receiver on and 5.1 when receiver is on.

connect PS3 direct to receiver via HDMI, optical doesn't have bandwidth for HD audio on blurays so if you connect it via optical you won't get HD audio from Blurays

A diagram to show connections. Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• device connections.JPG
    device connections.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Just dealing with the Sky HD issue: The reason you'll see people connecting the the Sky HD box via optical is that it only passes a stereo audio signal through HDMI, so if you want DD, you need to link up via optical as well.

Hat.

could HDMI ever be used for DD if Sky transmitted it through it? could it happen in the future?

doubtful, it hasnt happened so far.

they are both the same unless your wating a film with a DD sountrack which hdmi output wont support as mentioned, so stick to optical.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom