Onkyo SR-705 vs SR-607 advice needed

Gamblet

Standard Member
Hello all,

I wanna buy a receiver with 5.1 speakers for a homecinemaset. I'm a audio rookie but have read a bit the last weeks. Now for the speakers i'm still looking (thinking of the Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speaker) thats good enough for now in the future i might wanna get some bigger front speakers with center speaker.

For the receiver i decided to buy the SR-607 but since yesterday i saw a that i could buy the SR-705 for the same ammount of money. So now i have doubts about what to buy. Heard that the SR-705 has better technologie although its a older model.

Wanna buy the system this week so your advice about what a better choice will be is more then welcome.:clap:

Cheers Gamblet.

bobbymax

Welcome to the forum Gamblet. :hiya:

You will find the 607 is approx £150 dearer than the 507, and they are both the new models from Onkyo.
Haven't got either myself, although my son's got the 507 and he's happy as a larry.
If you only want 5.1 then go for the 507 and spend the rest on speakers.
Peter Tyson have it for £299:

Onkyo TXSR507

Gamblet

Standard Member
Welcome to the forum Gamblet. :hiya:

You will find the 607 is approx £150 dearer than the 507, and they are both the new models from Onkyo.
Haven't got either myself, although my son's got the 507 and he's happy as a larry.
If you only want 5.1 then go for the 507 and spend the rest on speakers.
Peter Tyson have it for £299:

Onkyo TXSR507

Thanks bobby:smashin: But i was talking about the difference to the SR705 and SR607. Both are the same price. Only wanna know what is a better choice.

bobbymax

:oops: Sorry, I muts be goign dyslexic. :D

Would guess the 705 would be better, although a few guys here think the old models are ugly.

bobbymax

From what I've read and after setting up my son's 507, I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of the onkyo's. Thinking of getting the 607 myself.

rafaelmgs

Standard Member
Well, I had the same doubt between these two, it depends a lot on what you will use regarding connections. I personally need the analog 7.1 channel input present on the xx5 series (to connect my gaming pc's sound blaster xfi), so I ended up choosing the sr805 (figured that the extra money was worth THX2 certification and other extra features.

Since both 607 and 705 have onboard dolby true HD and dts hd ma, you should focus on wether you want/need analog inputs or if you want 6 hdmi inputs instead of 3.

Personally I would say to go for the 705 (the wider the input spread the better, after all we tend to connect everything we can on our receivers), they will all sound great, though the 705 has more power (if you have big speakers might make a difference). To solve the lesser hdmi inputs, if you have a lcd/plasma tv, you probably have at least 3 hdmi's on it, so you would have 2 extra direct on the tv.

Hope it helps.

Gamblet

Standard Member
Thank you very much for your reply. In the mean while i have purchaced the SR-705 basicaly for the same reasson you gave. More power, more inputs, Audyssey MultEQ XT.

So when i finnaly made a decision the dealer gave me now a other choice lol. When they deliverd the SR-705 i find out it was been used.... Dealer cant give me a new SR-705 but he can give me the SR-706 instead (probarly for a few euros more) BUT some1 told me i could better keep the 705 cause this is a better receiver.

He said the 706 got video issues and Audyssey MultEQ (not XT) and i also read the 706 have some head problems.

So i still have some doubts what to do (keep the used SR-705 or get the 706).

rafaelmgs

Standard Member
no problem, hope it helped

regarding the "used" issue, is it used or a display item? was it refurbished?

maybe you could try and get a 805, I actually found it almost at the same price as the 705

805 for 687 euro and the 705 for 649 euro.

It is really worth the extra features

don't know if it is allowed but on this site:Schottenland.de - Startseite
you can compare prices of lots of online shops.

Gamblet

Standard Member
no problem, hope it helped

regarding the "used" issue, is it used or a display item? was it refurbished?

maybe you could try and get a 805, I actually found it almost at the same price as the 705

805 for 687 euro and the 705 for 649 euro.

It is really worth the extra features

don't know if it is allowed but on this site:Schottenland.de - Startseite
you can compare prices of lots of online shops.

Think it was a display(demo) item cause they delivered with the same packaging (same sr-number). I payed 500 euro for it so thats a pretty good price. Cause i cant get a likewise receiver for the same ammount of money i think i will keep it.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom