Answered Onkyo speaker calibration

Thunder96bird

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a onkyo sr606 and im trying to get the best sound. I dont really know alot about receivers, so im looking for tips and info.
First question is on full band. When i read up on it everyone says to set speakers to 80hz not full band and to remove double base. But when i do that it does not sound as good.whats your input? And what to set lpf lfe?

Second question is on level calibration. Everything i read says to set the db to - not + db. But if i set speakers in the minus then the sound is low. If i go to +10.0db its loud

Like i said i dont really know much at all about this stuff so i hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Onkyo tx-sr606
Front towers- paradigm monitor 11 v4
Center- paradigm cc 170
Sub- omage big boom 10
Rear surround- energy c-300b-1
Back surround- energy c-200c-1

What you set the crossover at is ultimately dependant upon the speakers' frequency handling ability. It is very unlikely that they are full range which would be defined by having the ability to reproduce frequencies within the range 20 - 20,000Hz so a crossover setting onboard the receiver is more desirable than designating them full range. Find out the frequency handling capabilities of your speakers and do not set the crossovers lower than 10Hz above their rated ability.

80Hz is ordinarilly suggested as the crossover point because this is recognised as being the frequency at which the vast majority of people cease to localise audio. The higher the freqi=uency above this then the more the chance of the audio becoming localised.

I suspect you've become accustomed to the double bass and that this is what you are missing? This setting allows both the sub and main speakers to duplicate low frequencies which can give rise to bass boom.

The LPF of LFE filter should always be set to 120Hz. The LFE channel uses frequencies within the range 5 - 120Hz so there's no use in setting the LPF cutoff filter higher and if set lower then you are discarding aspects of the LFE channel.

Last edited:
Thank you!
And whats your thoughts on the calibration db levels. Is it ok to have them set in the positive? The higher i put them the better it sounds. Or am i missing something.
On the menu page i can increase or decrease the db for each speaker.

The speaker levels are adjustments made to the output in order that the speakers are levelled relative to reference. It makes no odds as to whether the adjustments are plus or minus as long as they are within the acceptable adjusment range and result in the speakers being adjusted to output the same SPL relative to the test tone as measured from your primary listening position.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom