• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo, Sony or Yamaha Receiver for £350

jtheg

Standard Member
Just about to upgrade my old philips amp and struggling to pick between these three:-

Sony STRDN1000
Onkyo TXSR607 or
Yamaha RX-V765

I believe the V765 upscales to 1080p and the others are 1080i (could be quite important but would'nt call it a decider).

Anyone got any thoughts on which way to go.:)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
What speakers are you using as this could influence the choice.

Upscaling on amps in this price range (and quite a bit higher) will make no difference and your TV will do as good a job, so right not to make that the deciding factor.

jtheg

Standard Member
The fronts are Jamo s708's
Centre is a Tannoy mercury fc custom
and the rears are Eltax (not to sure which one from RS)

Cheers for any help provided.

seasidersrock

:D Straight to the bottom of the page, the Yamaha.
Build quality,connectivity, ease of set up, power output, no HDMI hand shake issues.
2 year warranty and a luvverly warm sound thats not in your face.
The best buy at the moment. :smashin:

tinmanuk

Onkyo for me :smashin:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The fronts are Jamo s708's
Centre is a Tannoy mercury fc custom
and the rears are Eltax (not to sure which one from RS)

Cheers for any help provided.

I'm not sure where the Jamos sit in the warm/bright scheme of things, though the jamo Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Speaker Package is bright sounding.

The Tannoy centre is on the warm side but I'm not sure where Eltax stand. So, with regard to tonal matching I'm afraid that I can't help. Hopfully others will have more knowledge of the non tannoy speakers.

If the overall sound of the speakers is bright, then the Yamaha would be the best tonal match; if it is warm, then it would be the Sony or Onkyo.

jtheg

Standard Member
Hmmmmmmmm..........

What to do , what if I throw a spanner in the works and add the Denon AVR1910 (bonus is on its way!).

Does that change things or should I pick one on its best connectivity options? The sides seem to be split?

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Hmmmmmmmm..........

What to do , what if I throw a spanner in the works and add the Denon AVR1910 (bonus is on its way!).

Does that change things or should I pick one on its best connectivity options? The sides seem to be split?

The Denon 1910 is in the same warm category as the Yamaha 765 and there is little between them and down to personal preference between the two really.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you can afford the Denon, go for it. It is regarded as being about the best but it is kind of out on its own price wise as Onkyo and Yamaha seem to have dropped their prices, which may have been down to Denon winning all the plaudits this year. The £500 RX-V1065 is down from £700, so if you can stretch to that, it would be worth auditioning. However, I would try and source a centre speaker to match the front two, to ensure a tonal match. I used to run Tannoy Mercury with Arcam/Denon so I have no problems with them. All small compact speakers are bright, so can't really be compared to the larger Jamos. Have a search within the speakers forum to see if anyone owns a set on the site and see what people are using to drive them.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom