Onkyo SKSHT528 5.1 Subwoofer going into standby

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sid77, Oct 31, 2011.

1. sid77

sid77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi guys,

I've just bought the Onkyo 309 receiver along with the HT 528 speakers. Everything is absolutey great apart from one niggling issue.....

My sub keeps going into standby when I'm watching something that isn't particularly bassy, this I can understand but when I'm watching something that alternates between bass and non bass the sub keeps going to sleep and waking up during the same programme. When this happens the sub makes a "clicking" noise which I think is normal but my TV screen flickers (which I don't think is), the TV loses picture momentarily then comes back on once the sub is in standby?? I have the speaker hooked up to the "pre out" input on my amp. I've tried fiddling with the settings endlessly but nothing seems to work.

My TV is connected to my AMP via the ARC enabled HDMI. My TV is the Samsung 46" D6100 model.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    The sub will turn off when its input is below a certain level for a certain amount of time. This level isn't zero, because there will always be a small amount of hum or noise.

If I were you, I'd try turning the volume down on the 'hard' volume control on the sub itself, and then use the 'soft' controls on the AVR to bring it back up to your desired level.
    Then the signal level going into the sub's input will be higher, while still giving you the same audio output.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    Does the sub have an auto and on setting? If so which is it currently using? I would put it onto 'on' if possible and then it will not turn itself off.

4. sid77

sid77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the replies. I've tried turning the bass up on the sub (using the dial on the back) to maximum and then reducing the sub power through the remote control. I've not tried it the other way but will do later.

There is no setting (which I can find) to keep the sub ON. There is an "auto standby" option in the settings which I've turned off the but it doesn't make a difference. I think this is for the receiver rather than the sub though.

5. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Think this could be your problem. You're feeding the sub with such a low-level input that its signal detection circuitry could be overlooking some genuine signals, thinking they're noise.

As an aside, you could be taking a sound quality hit doing it as you are now. If there's any fixed-level hum or interference on the input to the sub (which there probably is), then your current configuration is making your genuine signal much quieter compared to that noise. Then in the sub itself you're amplifying both the signal and noise components up quite a lot.

Try setting it up with the sub volume at half-way (twelve o'clock) as a starting point, and see how you get on from there.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. bob_regis

bob_regis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had this problem, and it was all due to the way I set it up on first installation using the microphone.

What you should do is set the subwoofer to mid point on its control and then run the microphone setup. If you set it up on anything higher than that than you will find it keeps switching off during low level programmes.

Mine works a dream now.