• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo Safety / Performance??

Rodders66

Standard Member
Hello All,

I was looking for answers to a couple of questions please...

moderator- although I have an Onkyo 607 the question is a general safety question so would like as much feedback as possible please!!

1 - I recently joined 607 owners and whilst installing the AV noticed a slight 'hum / vibration' (no audible hum) from the 607s chassis. it is very faint but under gentle finger pressure / stroke you can feel it.

At this point only mains and the HDMI input from the TV were made. Disconnecting the HDMI the 'vibration' stopped.

Holding the HDMI conductor in one hand and touching the 607 chassis you could feel it again. Changed cable and the same thing happened.

Tried the same thing with an HDMI from the LG Blue Ray.....same thing happens.

Basically as soon as you plug the HDMI in, or touch the 607 with a link to an HDMI you feel 'vibration' ....mains hum?

So, returned the unit to Richer Sounds and whilst there they did the same thing using their own TV and cable..... and said "ohhhh never seen that before!"

They switched out the 607 for me...got home set up and exactly the same thing happened!....safety problem ?...long term problem?....normal?

Sorry if this is long but!!

Best regards
Rod

OnkyoUK

Hello All,

I was looking for answers to a couple of questions please...

moderator- although I have an Onkyo 607 the question is a general safety question so would like as much feedback as possible please!!

1 - I recently joined 607 owners and whilst installing the AV noticed a slight 'hum / vibration' (no audible hum) from the 607s chassis. it is very faint but under gentle finger pressure / stroke you can feel it.

At this point only mains and the HDMI input from the TV were made. Disconnecting the HDMI the 'vibration' stopped.

Holding the HDMI conductor in one hand and touching the 607 chassis you could feel it again. Changed cable and the same thing happened.

Tried the same thing with an HDMI from the LG Blue Ray.....same thing happens.

Basically as soon as you plug the HDMI in, or touch the 607 with a link to an HDMI you feel 'vibration' ....mains hum?

So, returned the unit to Richer Sounds and whilst there they did the same thing using their own TV and cable..... and said "ohhhh never seen that before!"

They switched out the 607 for me...got home set up and exactly the same thing happened!....safety problem ?...long term problem?....normal?

Sorry if this is long but!!

Best regards
Rod
Hi Rod
What you are experiencing is mains hum being transferred into a mechanical vibration on the transformer, this is partly due to dirty mains and also an earth difference between the plug socket on the 607 and the TV , just as a test try connecting them to the same plug socket and you will find that it will reduce but not vanish (unless you are very lucky). this can be a complete pain in the arse for many people, and the only real way to rid all of this is to purchase a proper mains conditioner DO NOT go for the cheap passive systems they only strangle your system. go for active ones like Isotek (i have used them for many years and i can't fault them).
Isotek were demo'ing the exact thing you are talking about at the Bristol a few weeks back and they have a solution to rid it completely, so i would give them a call and ask them about it . you dont have any faulty products in your chain.

hope this helps

Mark

Rodders66

Standard Member
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I'd given up on any feedback!

I think I understand your suggestion however, there's always a 'but'...

As I said in my original post, when I went to RS to swap the 607 out we did the same test using their TV and also a different Bluetray too (so two tests0 and also and two different HDMI cables with the same result...a low hum.

Now they have a completely different mains supply to me, so was it just coincidence that they suffer the same problem, and whe we checked a Sony unit tere was nothing.

The 607 is working beautifuly, just don't want anything to spoil it in years to come.

007L2Kill

Hi mate:thumbsup:

Its like what onkyoUK said, it’s the transformer and all your components feeding back to the ground on your AMP, I have a onkyo 875 and a ADVENT subwoofer and it as a large metal cone and if rub my hard over the cone while the AMP is powered up you can feel a massive hum on my hand.

But because I have 7 earth spikes running from my back garden to my components to improve sound quality it also gets rid of the hum or vibration you are talking about, basically home cinema AMPS have no mains earth that I have come across, but most old stereo AMPS always had a mains earth, so that’s the problem and if you are up to it install a earth spike as I have never regretted it.

Hope that helps.:smashin:

Rodders66

Standard Member
Hello,

Ok this sounds like a good explanation, thanks.

To be honest as long as it's not doing my kit any damage I will probably forgo the perfect audio experience until I complete an extension to the house. move all the gear and get a HD Projector !!!

Can you confirm if you think it will be harmless to leave as is?

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
If you live in a particularly dirty electricity area, without proper power conditioners the lifetime of your equipment will be shortened (likely after it has already been replaced with a new model :D). BUT the Onkyo isn't going to do anything to damage your equipment or become a safety risk.

007L2Kill

Hello,

Ok this sounds like a good explanation, thanks.

To be honest as long as it's not doing my kit any damage I will probably forgo the perfect audio experience until I complete an extension to the house. move all the gear and get a HD Projector !!!

Can you confirm if you think it will be harmless to leave as is?

Hi mate

There will be no problem at all as these AMPS are designed this way, if they was harmful in anyway they would not be on the market so you will be fine.

I have all my earth spikes going to a RUSS ANDREWS mains socket on the wall to its earth terminal and then some earth weave to the back of my AMPS ground screw, so what you could do to improve performance a little is to buy a RUSS ANDREWS mains socket (only if you know how to replace a wall socket if not please don’t try it as it can be dangerous) fit it to your mains socket that you use for you AMP, then run some earth wire to your AMPS ground, that will improve the sound a little and get rid of your hum.

This is the socket I am talking about, found one on ebay here:RUSS ANDREWS MAINS SUPER SOCKET - DOUBLE WITH EARTH on eBay (end time 25-Mar-10 18:07:59 GMT)

Hope this helps!:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom