Onkyo RZ50 delay in audio starting when playing media

minimumtumbleweed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Whenever I start any media (streaming, local, music, movies, whatever), it never starts when I hit play. If it's a video, the video runs for two seconds before the audio kicks in. If it's music, it just always starts two seconds into the song. This also happens every time I pause and press play again. Has anyone else had this issue? Never had this problem on an older Denon S740H using all the same cables, media, etc.

I did notice someone with a similar post about an Onkyo AVR, but it was from 10 (!) years ago. Would have thought for sure they would have worked this out by now. Very disappointing for such an expensive piece of hardware.

Does this happen on all sources or just one? The reason I ask is that I have a media player that does the very same thing both on a previous Onkyo and now on a Denon AVR.

I came to the conclusion that when pressing play there is a delay while the player picks up the audio signal. When pressing pause the player drops the audio signal and then picks it up again when pressing play. In my case this has nothing to do with the AVR as all other sources work OK.

Does this happen on all sources or just one? The reason I ask is that I have a media player that does the very same thing both on a previous Onkyo and now on a Denon AVR.

I came to the conclusion that when pressing play there is a delay while the player picks up the audio signal. When pressing pause the player drops the audio signal and then picks it up again when pressing play. In my case this has nothing to do with the AVR as all other sources work OK.
It happens on all sources (well, I only have two, a SHIELD Pro and a PC). What I can see is, for example if I am watching something in Atmos, it will turn itself to Atmos automatically. On my old Denon, if I paused but stayed on the movie/show/whatever, it would just stay in Atmos mode unless I actively left the content. So when I press play again it would start right away. On the Onkyo, I can see that the receiver is just exiting all modes every time I pause (visible on the front panel). Then it has to scramble to remember what it's doing every time you pause and play, leaving gaps of no audio up to four seconds long. I wonder if there is any way to tell it not to change the audio processing while content is still open? I've tried changing cables, sources, etc.

I did find this, that might be helpful. 🤞

4 Ways To Fix Onkyo Audio Delay - Internet Access Guide

When I had my Onkyo I had no problems with the audio, apart from the media player. I had the video processing turned off, which is the second recommendation on the page I linked to.

I did find this, that might be helpful. 🤞

4 Ways To Fix Onkyo Audio Delay - Internet Access Guide

When I had my Onkyo I had no problems with the audio, apart from the media player. I had the video processing turned off, which is the second recommendation on the page I linked to.
Thanks. I don't think any of these are the issue. It only happen with Dolby audio it seems (which is basically 99% of content these days). It jus ttakes it about 4 seconds to actually flip on Atmos/DD+ processing and in that time the video keeps playing with no sound.

Just set it to "fixed pcm" and it should solve the problem.

Whenever I start any media (streaming, local, music, movies, whatever), it never starts when I hit play. If it's a video, the video runs for two seconds before the audio kicks in. If it's music, it just always starts two seconds into the song. This also happens every time I pause and press play again. Has anyone else had this issue? Never had this problem on an older Denon S740H using all the same cables, media, etc.

I did notice someone with a similar post about an Onkyo AVR, but it was from 10 (!) years ago. Would have thought for sure they would have worked this out by now. Very disappointing for such an expensive piece of hardware.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom