Onkyo Reveal 2011 Receiver Line Up

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hot on the heels on the confirmation of their sales supremacy in the UK receiver market for 2010, Onkyo are showing off the 2011 range that they'll no doubt hope continues their success.

Featuring all new snazzy designs and networking capabilities from all bar the entry level unit, the range comprises the 7.2-channel TX-NR609 (around £500), the 7.1-channel TX-NR579 (around £450), the 5.1-channel TX-NR509 (around £350), and the 5.1-channel TX-SR309 (around £250).

The top-of-the range, THX Select2 Plus-certified, TX-NR609, is the first ever receiver to feature Marvell Qdeo video processing technology to upscale standard video signals to state-of-the-art 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution. We can't imagine there'll be too many taking advantage of that particular feature given the lack of displays capable of handling that sort of resolution. We guess there's nothing like forward planning though and it's another stick for the boys and girls in marketing to wave at the opposition
20110210145306.jpg

Thanks to its networking capability the TX-NR609 can also access Napster as well as Last.fm and v.Tuner internet radio channels. As well as bringing compatibility with Windows® 7 and DLNA, the networking capability also promises to simplify the process of updating the receiver’s firmware, and you know there'll be plenty of those. Onkyo is also introducing the 'UWF-1 Wireless USB Adapter' (price tbc, compatible with all Onkyo network-capable receivers with USB) in 2011, allowing a wireless IEEE 802.11b/g/n connection to access music on a home network.

All the models feature a front-panel USB port that offers a direct digital connection for iPod/iPhone, along with support for audio playback from USB mass-storage devices (codecs supported include MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless,FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, and LPCM). Ogg Vorbis? I must be getting old!

Along with the aforementioned USB port, the TX-NR609 boasts six HDMI inputs (one located conveniently on the front), a Universal Port for Onkyo-branded peripheral devices, and a raft of popular digital and analogue A/V inputs.

Another connectivity highlight on the TX-NR609 comes in the form of Powered Zone 2, which lets users play a different audio source in a second room equipped with stereo speakers. The TX-NR609’s 7.2-channel configuration additionally includes two subwoofer pre-outs, enabling users to supply larger rooms with more powerful low frequencies.

PC gamers might appreciate the provision of an analogue RGB video input on the TX-NR609. This input allows users to send the video signal from a notebook or desktop PC directly to the receiver, which then sends it via HDMI to a compatible display. Thankfully, the latest version of HDMI (note - HDMI are dropping the numbers now to avoid customer confusion) which delivers full compatibility with 3D video and an Audio Return Channel, is provided as standard on all four receivers.

Among its audio-processing features, the TX-NR609 supports decoding for Audyssey DSX™. This technology allows users to reconfigure the surround-back speakers in a seven-channel set-up as either front-height or front-wide speakers. The TX-NR609 also supports Dolby Pro Logic IIz, which offers a similar front-height surround-sound option.

Other features common to all four models include PLL jitter-cleaning circuitry to preserve signal clarity; lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ decoding; an overlaid on-screen display for easy adjustment of settings; and a new front panel design.

20110210145501.jpg

The, slightly down the pecking order, TX-NR579 includes most of the same features as the TX-NR609, but forgoes THX Select2 Plus certification, PC video connectivity, Audyssey DSX, and the second subwoofer pre-out. It also has four HDMI inputs, rather than six.

The TX-NR509 is an alternative for users who do not require the 4K video upscaling feature(so nearly everyone then) or the expanded surround sound options of Audyssey DSX and Dolby Pro Logic IIz. It differs further from the TX-NR579 by featuring a regular (i.e. non-powered) Zone 2 line out, and by omitting Onkyo’s new content-navigation GUI. In other respects, it offers the same range of connectivity, networking, and audio processing as its higher siblings.

Finally, the entry level TX-SR309 is a 5.1-channel receiver targeted at users who do not require the networking, Zone 2, or Audyssey equalization features, but who still seek a modern and budget-friendly home cinema centerpiece. It features three HDMI inputs and TI Burr-Brown audio DACs, along with Onkyo’s proprietary advanced music optimizer and gaming audio modes.

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 841
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Bugger, I just received my 608 - reckon I should send it back? When are these due for release?

When are these due for release?

ONKYO TX-NR609 £500 Available end of March

ONKYO TX-NR579 £450 Available end of March

ONKYO TX-NR509 £350 Available beginning of March

ONKYO TX-SR309 £250 Available end of February

<!-- o ignored -->

Wonder if the video processing of the 609/579 will be a good step up over most TV's internal processing.

Currently debating whether to spend more on an AV reciever, or compromise somewhat on the reciever and add a video processor for a new setup ahead of the f1 season.

Not mentioned in this release is the other Onkyo models due out soon: 709, 809, 1009, 3009, 5009, and the 5509 preamplifier.

They supposedly also feature airplay compatibility, I say that because they list it in their iOS app's capabilities for the 2011 models, but somehow are not mentioning it in Their press materials.

They look... different.

Still pretty ugly in my opinion, especially in black!

Can't they take some cues from Denon? Sony? Arcam? ANYONE else?

Hi

What about Dolby Volume? No mention of that. Dolby PLIIz but no Dolby Volume on the 609?

(The 5007 and 3007 have it.)

They look... different.

Still pretty ugly in my opinion, especially in black!

Can't they take some cues from Denon? Sony? Arcam? ANYONE else?

Personally don't mind the new design at all - but agreed the silver looks better than the black and is therefore going to be the one I purchase :thumbsup:

Personally don't mind the new design at all - but agreed the silver looks better than the black and is therefore going to be the one I purchase :thumbsup:

Problem is - everything else is black these days! TVs, BR players and most AV stands.

I used to have a completely silver set-up from my NAD HiFi electrnocis to my Sony Trinitron, speaker stands and AV rack. Now everything is black bar the NAD electronics :thumbsdow

Don't get me wrong, SQ comes first (I have a black 605) but I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting it to look decent on the AV rack too.

Not mentioned in this release is the other Onkyo models due out soon: 709, 809, 1009, 3009, 5009, and the 5509 preamplifier.

They supposedly also feature airplay compatibility, I say that because they list it in their iOS app's capabilities for the 2011 models, but somehow are not mentioning it in Their press materials.

the US onkyo site says the 509 supports the iphone onkyo app

Onkyo TX-NR509 - 5.1-Channel 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

It's got Dynamic Volume, again no built in DAB.
Why not just build it in - oh yeah £129 to buy it separately. :mad:

I think it looks better than the previous models. I wonder what the gui is like?

when is the 5509 due & will it have the audysey pro kit included?

i think the onkyo 1009 is due at the end of may 2011, it has DTS Neo X which allows for height & width channels to be run simultaneoulsy.

it also has --"HQV® Vida&#8482; VHD1900 for High-Quality Video Processing
The sophisticated HQV Vida VHD1900 processor is designed to enhance the quality of both standard-definition and high-definition video sources. The chip employs multi-cadence tracking, expanded 12-bit color processing, and four-field motion-adaptive de-interlacing to optimize video quality and detail. Two new HQV technologies are incorporated into the VHD1900. Auto HQV&#8482; works to automatically enhance the incoming image. And HQV StreamClean&#8482; cleans up compressed video in real time by eliminating mosquito and block noise from lower-quality sources such as online video sites".

i think avland are quoting £1300 approx for the receiver.

Last edited:
The 609 gets great reviews in both What HI-FI and Home Cinema Choice.

Both current issues.

if i remember coorectly, i think the 3009 & 5009 are due towards the end of august 2011( can remember where i read it on the net).

any news on the 3009 in terms of price and availability?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom