Onkyo receivers and HDMI Deep Color

SeeNoWeevil

The Playstation 4 firmware 1.70 got pushed out yesterday which enabled Deep Color by default over HDMI. My 828 would not display the signal unless it was switched off. Googling it seems there's a LOT of problems with Deep Color tripping up Onkyos old and new. This is pretty odd, it's only passing through the signal. I emailed Onkyo and their response was, yeah, turn off Deep Color on the amp (hold STB/standby buttons on the amp). Anyone have similar problems? I kinda expect things to work, being told to just turn it off is pretty lousy.

tintin jones

Weird I have the 818 and it's working perfectly with ps4 with deep colour on. What is it doing on yours?

audiobob

Novice Member
3 years later and I buy an Onkyo HT-S3800 with the same issue - and the option to turn deep color seems to have disappeared. are they selling us for fools?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
It may well be your HDMI cabling that's the cause, rather than the Onkyo. Enabling deep colour increases the bandwidth demand on your cables. What length are your cables and are they all certified high speed (standard speed cabling is not specified to support deep colour)?

audiobob

Novice Member
It may well be your HDMI cabling that's the cause, rather than the Onkyo. Enabling deep colour increases the bandwidth demand on your cables. What length are your cables and are they all certified high speed (standard speed cabling is not specified to support deep colour)?
I am using a chromecast (not the chromecast ultra). Not sure what kind of cabling it comes with but it is soldered onto the chromecast. Impossible to find out what type it is. But this should not happen.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I am using a chromecast (not the chromecast ultra). Not sure what kind of cabling it comes with but it is soldered onto the chromecast. Impossible to find out what type it is. But this should not happen.
Standard chromecast specs is up to 1080p only and definitely not deep color.

Deep color only needs to be on if the content being played from source is deep color encoded ( very rare ) and all devices in the chain support it.
Otherwise you lose nothing by turning it off.

audiobob

Novice Member
Standard chromecast specs is up to 1080p only and definitely not deep color.

Deep color only needs to be on if the content being played from source is deep color encoded ( very rare ) and all devices in the chain support it.
Otherwise you lose nothing by turning it off.
then how does this explain the video-dropouts that I have?

audiobob

Novice Member
just went off the phone with ONKYO-support. one of the most honest and actually enjoyable conversations I have had with ANY manufacturer of entertainment devices. I've had really bad occurences with Phillips and Yamaha in the past, and this one seems to care about good support.

anyways, I was told that Chromecast devices and Laptops are not meant to be connected to ONKYO receivers directly and will always "cause problems" but it can certainly be that the bandwidth of the cables can cause my video dropouts. so I am going to test with a higher-bandwidth cable and a chromecast ultra to see if the problem gets solved!

andy1249

Distinguished Member
then how does this explain the video-dropouts that I have?
Onkyo answered the same as I would have.
Bandwidth limitations, exceed them and you get drop outs, erratic behaviour, or no signal errors.

audiobob

Novice Member
Onkyo answered the same as I would have.
Bandwidth limitations, exceed them and you get drop outs, erratic behaviour, or no signal errors.
so basically, the chromecast is trying to send a deep color signal through its limited HDMI cabling? can I somehow tell it to not do that, just like I can configure my BluRay player to not use DeepColor? and can I do this with my laptop (macbook) as well?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
so basically, the chromecast is trying to send a deep color signal through its limited HDMI cabling? can I somehow tell it to not do that, just like I can configure my BluRay player to not use DeepColor? and can I do this with my laptop (macbook) as well?
What is the signal flow here, is the laptop sending to the receiver with chromecast?

If so , whatever content you are sending from the laptop, its player software should have an option to turn off deep color somewhere.

audiobob

Novice Member
the laptop and the chromecast are plugged into 2 of the HDMI-ins of the receiver, separately.

when I plug in the laptop and do nothing, the picture breaks down after a few seconds and then comes back. audio works all the time, even when the picture dropout occurs. this happens with laptop and chromecast. I suppose that on both devices, it is coded right into the firmware of the HDMI converter and cannot be changed by me. another idea would be to plug the hdmi-out into a hdmi-switch and then route it back to the onkyo again. that would also require that the converter upconverts the signal to a HDMI 2.0 format.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
So where does deep color come into this?
What error or otherwise is telling you deep color is the issue?

Where is the chromecast getting its signal from?
If its from the laptop, then both the laptop and the chromecast should not be plugged into the receiver via HDMI at the same time.

Where does HDMI conversion come into this?
Your receiver is HDMI 2.0 but is backwards compatible and will accept anything lower, no conversion necessary.

If your doing nothing on the laptop, then the hdmi output is just displaying the desktop as is, in which case check your graphics output settings and make sure they are an av compatible signal. That means either 1080p or 2160p or one of the resolutions that the onkyo will accept.
They should be listed in the onkyo manual on the specifications page.

Last edited:

audiobob

Novice Member
So where does deep color come into this?
What error or otherwise is telling you deep color is the issue?
forgive me for not stating this here (I assumed this was already known in this thread, started by @SeeNoWeevil

but the general solution to the problem (static in picture, dropouts, ect.) seemed to be deactivating the DeepColor feature in Onkyo receivers. Okyo support told me that my receiver (HT-S3800) unfortunately has no option to turn this off. since my BluRay player is working fine on the receiver, none of the ports are broken. neither are my devices, which I had plugged into a Yamaha receiver just before and it all worked fine. if you search the forum for the issue I was stating, you will find the same information.

Where is the chromecast getting its signal from?
If its from the laptop, then both the laptop and the chromecast should not be plugged into the receiver via HDMI at the same time.
The chromecast is simply displaying the home screen with the google home picture slideshow, just like on any other chromecast just when it's booted up. To watch video, I open up my video player on the phone - in this case DS video from synology - and then point the chromecast to a video station stream, served by a synology NAS. But that makes no difference, since the problem seems to be independent from the source of the signal. I've also tried disconnecting all HDMI devices and just connecting the chromecast - or just the laptop to pinpoint the issue.

Where does HDMI conversion come into this?
My assumption is that the Chromecast receives information from the Onkyo receiver to serve a higher-bandwidth signal which it cannot provide through the lower-bandwidth cable - hence, the dropouts. I then had the thought, how would it be if I were able to put a device inbetween that could handle higher-bandwidth signals and route/convert HDMI 1.0 signals somehow to make them HDMI 2.0 if that would solve the problem with the Chromecast? But that was just to throw around an idea - it sounded very impractical. I have now ordered a HDMI 2.0 cable and will test it with my laptop tomorrow.

Your receiver is HDMI 2.0 but is backwards compatible and will accept anything lower, no conversion necessary.
which would bring us back to the beginning: why does it produce these video dropouts? again, I am seeing static noise at random time intervals. something that I've seen in HDMI/Displayport monitors when the computer hasn't fully connected. It seems like a handshake issue to me which can very well be caused by a slow data connection between the two devices.

If your doing nothing on the laptop, then the hdmi output is just displaying the desktop as is, in which case check your graphics output settings and make sure they are an av compatible signal. That means either 1080p or 2160p or one of the resolutions that the onkyo will accept.
They should be listed in the onkyo manual on the specifications page.
My laptop automatically changes the resolution to 1080p when the receiver is connected.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Ok so chromecast and laptop are separate issues both showing the same problem.
Your problem is dropouts , which can have many causes.
You dont know if the issue is deep color or not , that is just an assumption.

Both sources are 1080p max.
In which case a new cable ( no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable , they can only be standard speed or high speed ) is unlikely to solve any input issues.
It might solve output issues.

Wiring on the chromecast is definitely not an issue, the device will not attempt to push data it cannot handle over this.

What screen is the output of your receiver connected to?
What is its native resolution?
How long is the cable run from receiver output to screen?

audiobob

Novice Member
The receiver is connected to an Optoma HD26 1080p beamer. This is an interesting point - do you think the connection between beamer and receiver is producing this static?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Aha!
How long is the cable?
What is the output resolution setting on the onkyo?

audiobob

Novice Member
oh my god. my apologies! I just plugged the outcoming HDMI cable from the receiver into the HDMI2 port of the beamer and the dropout problem seems gone! the other port has "HDMI!/MHL" written onto it. can that be the cause of the problem?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Bingo!
Happy days

Yes it can be the problem.

Also long cable runs from receiver to projector, problems with that setup are so common you cant move on these forums without tripping over them.
Thats why I asked how long the cable was.

But hey, looks like you've found the issue.
Enjoy, Im glad your up and running.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I think the cable is around 5 metres, but yeah, it seems to work now :) thanks for your help!
5 meters is not a problem, in HDMI land, 8 meters and over is where problems creep in.

For the record , HDMI MHL ports allow phones , tablets and other mobile devices with an MHL port to directly connect.
That port is fed to an MHL enabled HDMI RX chip and does not necessarily have all the capabilities of a standard HDMI port. Hence the dropouts etc.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett