ONKYO RECEIVER PLAY LOW VOLUME

UNNIKUTTAN

Novice Member
Hi,
Recently i bought an ONKYO TXNR575E 7.2 DOLBY ATMOS receiver. I m using aural envelope Floor standing speakers as Front (bi-amped), Eltax centre speaker and elatx bi-polar for surround speakers. Currently i m using 5.1.2. Sometimes it plays pretty loud on 40-45 volume level for youtube and most of the time 55-65 for loud. 35-45 can barely hear. while i m playing movies on netflix or amazon, i should go to 65-70 for a decent volume, but still dialogues are too silent. i did auto calibration twice, but still no difference. I was using an additional sub infinity tss4000 for 7.2 channel and one day it stopped working. but the other sub is working. i was wondering if anyone can help me with it.

Streamer16

while i m playing movies on netflix or amazon, i should go to 65-70 for a decent volume, but still dialogues are too silent.
This is a massive problem with modern soundtracks. There is no real solution as they are simply mixing the sound very badly in the studio, and the actors dont know how to enunciate and often sound as though they were whispering with a sock in their mouths.
If your film has a two-channel sound track then selecting that should help though of course you will lose the surround sound. Otherwise you can play around with the individual track levels on your amp, favouring the centre channel which usually carries the dialogue.

If you are using a Windows PC as your source then turning on the loudness equalisation in the enhancements tab of the Windows playback device's properties should also help with volume levels generally and should reduce the problem of sound effects drowning out the dialogue.

You can also adjust individual volume levels for different sources from the Windows sound mixer.

Best solution: only watch films that are at least 30 years old. You can always hear all the dialogue on those.

citywalker

Sometimes it plays pretty loud on 40-45 volume level for youtube and most of the time 55-65 for loud. 35-45 can barely hear. while i m playing movies on netflix or amazon, i should go to 65-70 for a decent volume, but still dialogues are too silent.
First thing, what you should do - change volume display to dB, then you can see some realistic numbers in your display. These numbers right now are meaningless.
Numbers and volume what you hearing aren't related to each other, so it's not important, what you see in the display.

UNNIKUTTAN

Novice Member
Try increasing the input volume trim in source settings.
My system is connected to Sony Bravia. I think TV acts weird. Today morning when i turned on the TV and played Youtube on 45, it was pretty loud. decent sound. Then afternoon i found 45 wasnt enough to listen to it. Maximum volume level is 100. so i should turn the volume to 55-65 for a decent volume. cant figure it out..

UNNIKUTTAN

Novice Member
This is a massive problem with modern soundtracks. There is no real solution as they are simply mixing the sound very badly in the studio, and the actors dont know how to enunciate and often sound as though they were whispering with a sock in their mouths.
If your film has a two-channel sound track then selecting that should help though of course you will lose the surround sound. Otherwise you can play around with the individual track levels on your amp, favouring the centre channel which usually carries the dialogue.

If you are using a Windows PC as your source then turning on the loudness equalisation in the enhancements tab of the Windows playback device's properties should also help with volume levels generally and should reduce the problem of sound effects drowning out the dialogue.

You can also adjust individual volume levels for different sources from the Windows sound mixer.

Best solution: only watch films that are at least 30 years old. You can always hear all the dialogue on those.

This low volume issue, i noticed with my previous AVR too. This is my 5th receiver.
first 3 receivers were good, and i was happy with the volume. My Yamaha AVR was producing great bass from the Floor standing speakers i m currently having. And my new Onkyo doesnt. I m watching movies on Netflix and i have to hit 60-65 for a real theatre effect. Tv acts weird. After turning off and on sometimes Youtube plays loud on 45-50 and sometimes only on 50-55. do anyone else having this issue?

UNNIKUTTAN

Novice Member
First thing, what you should do - change volume display to dB, then you can see some realistic numbers in your display. These numbers right now are meaningless.
Numbers and volume what you hearing aren't related to each other, so it's not important, what you see in the display.

I tried, there is no option to change to db. My previous receivers had it.

citywalker

I tried, there is no option to change to db. My previous receivers had it.
Then you are stuck with 0-100 scale. BUT, why you are so worried about numbers? It's totally pointless to watch these numbers. Your ears may be tired during the day etc, so you need to turn volume up just because of that.

andym81

This low volume issue, i noticed with my previous AVR too. This is my 5th receiver.
first 3 receivers were good, and i was happy with the volume. My Yamaha AVR was producing great bass from the Floor standing speakers i m currently having. And my new Onkyo doesnt. I m watching movies on Netflix and i have to hit 60-65 for a real theatre effect. Tv acts weird. After turning off and on sometimes Youtube plays loud on 45-50 and sometimes only on 50-55. do anyone else having this issue?
Are you watching Netflix through the tv app and using arc by any chance

scottiefraser

I've just got the Onkyo 393 having upgraded from the 343 with was upgraded from the 605. I've experienced exactly the same. The 343 I'd have on 19 to hear keeping the volume down and normal volume would be in the 30's with 40 plus loud. On the 393 01-30 is practically a complete waste of time with volume normally in the 50's to hear a decent volume. It appears to me that the volume increments are less now so where for example a volume increment was a value of '1' the 393 seems to go up in increments of about '0.6'. Be interested to know if you ever got a fix or just got used to it?

nschoot

Novice Member
Onkyo has a feature called IntelliVolume. It allows you to adjust the volume setting for the currently selected input channel.

latrelljennings

Novice Member
Then you are stuck with 0-100 scale. BUT, why you are so worried about numbers? It's totally pointless to watch these numbers. Your ears may be tired during the day etc, so you need to turn volume up just because of that.
Why are you so worried about them using the numbers option? That's why the OPTION is there. Personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom