Onkyo receiver keeps cutting out when playing DVDs

hinterglem

Standard Member
I have a Sony BDP-S363 blu-ray player and a Toshiba XV50 TV. I have just bought an Onkyo HT-S5305 HTIB. I have connected the blu-ray player to the receiver via HDMI cable, and the receiver to the TV via HDMI cable. When I play a blu-ray disc, this works perfectly, but if I try to play a DVD or CD on the blu-ray player, it keeps cutting out every few seconds (blue screen on the TV and no sound, then flickers, then comes back on for a few seconds, and repeats). Even the home page of the blu-ray player flickers like this - the only time I get steady output is when playing a blu-ray disc. If I connect the blu-ray player directly to the TV without going through the receiver, it all works fine.

Initially, it would not show any picture or sound at all when playing a DVD, but I turned off the 'lip-sync' feature on the TV, and it started working intermittently, as described above, so I am suspicious that it is something to do with the interaction between the receiver and the TV rather than the blu-ray player itself, although why it only happens with DVDs and not blu-ray discs I cannot understand.

I phoned hughesdirect (where I got the onkyo from), who did not have a clue. I phoned onkyo, and am waiting for them to phone me back. Anybody here ever heard of anything like this, or any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom