Onkyo PR-SC5507 9.2 Channel A/V Controller

Is the 5507 better than 886?

No idea. For the last 18 months I've been asking whether the 5507 is better than even the 875 (used as a processor) and I haven"t got an answer.

I went from a 905 to an 886 pro and noticed a marked improvement so imagine 875 to 5507 will be better again :thumbsup:

Thanks. Were you using the 905 as a pro or were you using it's internal amps?

Used the 905 as a pro, I have a primare are power amp

So, the poweramp you used with the 905 (as a pro) is the same as the poweramp you are now using with the 886?

Thanks again:)

So, the poweramp you used with the 905 (as a pro) is the same as the poweramp you are now using with the 886?

Thanks again:)

Yup, I'm sure I have posted my thoughts on this before but I found music quality increased dramatically (although still not quite as good as it could be) and also found that there was much better separation and find bass is much better, in my room at least.
I recently bought an auddyesey pro mic kit and found that to be a suitable enough improvement to the extent that it's solved my what to upgrade to dilema!
As a self confessed upgrade addict the 886 has to be the most satisfying processor I have owned - it's not the best but reliability, features and control, all for under £2k is something ofma bargain!

Yup, I'm sure I have posted my thoughts on this before but I found music quality increased dramatically (although still not quite as good as it could be) and also found that there was much better separation and find bass is much better, in my room at least.
I recently bought an auddyesey pro mic kit and found that to be a suitable enough improvement to the extent that it's solved my what to upgrade to dilema!
As a self confessed upgrade addict the 886 has to be the most satisfying processor I have owned - it's not the best but reliability, features and control, all for under £2k is something ofma bargain!

Thanks. I'm hoping my 5507 will arrive tomorrow:smashin:

May I ask how much the pro mic kit cost? Also how does it make a difference and does it require set up by a professional calibrator with additional software?

Thanks

i bought mine 2nd hand off these forums, it was about £250 if i remember correctly?
I'm no expert but think i did a good job in the calibration and have generally been very pleased with the results - i was a bit of a sceptic to start with so was happy that i actually noted a marked improvement (my wife thought i had bought a new "toy" so it made a difference to her ears as well)

Set this up today and had a quick play. My initial impressions of this machine are very positive.

I'm going to have lots of questions over the next few months as there are so many things that can be tweaked on this thing. This thread started as a review and I was wondering how you guys felt if I started a '5507 owners/technical discussion' thread

Set this up today and had a quick play. My initial impressions of this machine are very positive.

I'm going to have lots of questions over the next few months as there are so many things that can be tweaked on this thing. This thread started as a review and I was wondering how you guys felt if I started a '5507 owners/technical discussion' thread

I'd welcome a technical/discussion thread.

This is my first Onkyo & although always heard good reports i was sceptical whether they could really cut it & compete with the more mainstream brands such as Denon, Audiolab, Pioneer etc, but i must say after only a quick play with mine i'm very impressed.

Just got one (SC5507) yesterday, but getting quite frustrated. I am getting no video from HDMI. I have my main (Pioneer Kuro LX-5090) TV connected via HDMI. I also have a 2nd TV connected via composite to the video out (for trouble shooting). I can get video on the analogue TV for analogue sources (WII, Sky+ HD via scart to composite, FTA satallite), but I get nothing on the pioneer via HDMI. I also get nothing on any TV via Sky+ HD connected via HDMI. I have tried 4 different cables. When I switch on CEC control, this works fine. HDMI cables are silver from Chord, plus Sky cable etc. Pioneer is HDMI 1.3a (same as Onkyo). Sky+ HD connected directly to TV via HDMI is perfect.

Just got one (SC5507) yesterday, but getting quite frustrated. I am getting no video from HDMI. I have my main (Pioneer Kuro LX-5090) TV connected via HDMI. I also have a 2nd TV connected via composite to the video out (for trouble shooting). I can get video on the analogue TV for analogue sources (WII, Sky+ HD via scart to composite, FTA satallite), but I get nothing on the pioneer via HDMI. I also get nothing on any TV via Sky+ HD connected via HDMI. I have tried 4 different cables. When I switch on CEC control, this works fine. HDMI cables are silver from Chord, plus Sky cable etc. Pioneer is HDMI 1.3a (same as Onkyo). Sky+ HD connected directly to TV via HDMI is perfect.

This may sound obvious but have you been to the 'input assign' menu and assigned the appropriate channels?

Yes, I have assigned the channels. I have an update though: I left the sky+ HD HDMI connection out and left the FTA satellite connected to AUX1. After several hours, the pioneer just sprang into life all by itself. All was good until I reconnected the Sky+ HDMI cable. I then got the sky+ menu for about 10 seconds, then the pioneer spazzed out looping through input settings and then stopped displaying any picture. I took the HDMI cable back out, and then after about 5 minutes, the FTA picture came back.

Have you set the HDMI output, In the HDMI menu you can choose from main, sub, or both. There have been some issues with faulty HDMI cards, mine went back twice to be repaired. Can you get a picture from a non HDMI source via HDMI out? Also can you bring up the Onkyo menu over an HDMI connection on your Pioneer?

Last edited:
I have the HDMI output to main, but I have tried all of the other settings. I managed to get a composite source via HDMI out for approx 10 minutes before it died (blank screen). It now wont come back. I believe it is faulty so I will talk to the dealer.

Thx for your help everyone.

I have the HDMI output to main, but I have tried all of the other settings. I managed to get a composite source via HDMI out for approx 10 minutes before it died (blank screen). It now wont come back. I believe it is faulty so I will talk to the dealer.

Thx for your help everyone.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Don't be put off, its one hell of a good processor:)

May I ask how much the pro mic kit cost? Also how does it make a difference and does it require set up by a professional calibrator with additional software?

Thanks

Hi Indus
The pro mic kit will not work with the 5507, the 885/886 pre did have audyssey pro on them. The pro software was removed on the 5507( for reasons beyond me) but we will have to wait and see what the 5508 has in it ........

Well I got my replacement 5507 today (next day turn around so very good service). I plugged in a minimal setup of sky+ HD, 5507 and pioneer TV all via HDMI. I switched it on and the picture came up nicely. I changed channels to an HD channel and all was good. I put the sky+ HD back to Automatic for its HDMI resolution (as I thought that this may have been part of the problem) and all was still well.

I then went to the 5507 and turned on x.v colour and RHID (CEC). When I went back to look at the TV (other room), I was back to a blank screen. Yes its dead. Nothing will bring it back to life. I have performed a reset on the 5507, turned everything off and back on etc, but it is dead, dead, dead.

My best guess is that it fried something when I turned on RHID.

I turned RHID back on and the TV controls the volume nicely so CEC is working, just a blank screen. Also, with RHID on and on DVD/BD (sky+) source, then the display flashes as if it is trying to establish a valid HDCP handshake over and over.

Could it be the sky+ HD box outputing a voltage on the CEC pin, as from what I have read, this used to be a problem? I don't have any other HDMI source equipment, plus I think it is too late now, as I think the 5507 is fried.

Last edited:
All is well now. It turns out it was my HDMI cable. It was sufficient for my Sky box to connect directly with the TV, but didn't work with the DSP (or did very intermittently). After I changed it, all went well. I have room 2 working (CAT 5 cable with phono cables running for 30 metres) and gives an excellent picture.

A huge thanks to the guys at Progressive Audio Visual. The best back up service bar none.

Loss of Audio when I turn on my TV (CEC enabled)
======================================

When I turn on my 5507 it is set to my last source setting which in this case is for Sky TV. This has audio set to coaxial audio (with the *). I can hear the audio through my speakers, but when I turn my TV on, I get the sky TV picture, but it switches the audio off.

I have CEC enabled, so that it switches the TV Volume control to the 5507 and I think this has something to do with my problem. To resolve it, I have to then press the Source button again to get back the audio.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Can anybody help with the following?

When I press the 'audio' key on the remote when watching a film I get the options to adjust trim levels as per my previous Onkyo receivers. However it also gives the option to adjust the bass and treble for the speakers. What exactly does this mean? Bass output in terms of trim level is different, and crossover is also something else, so what does this bass/treble adjustment do?

Thanks

Can anybody help with the following?

When I press the 'audio' key on the remote when watching a film I get the options to adjust trim levels as per my previous Onkyo receivers. However it also gives the option to adjust the bass and treble for the speakers. What exactly does this mean? Bass output in terms of trim level is different, and crossover is also something else, so what does this bass/treble adjustment do?

Thanks

They are .... tone control settings...
Bass –10 dB to +10 dB in 2 dB steps
You can boost or cut low-frequency sounds (50Hz) output by the speakers.
Treble –10 dB to +10 dB in 2 dB steps
You can boost or cut high-frequency sounds (20kHz) output by the speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom