Onkyo PR-SC5507 9.2 Channel A/V Controller

g4zz3r

Standard Member

GREAT!! My 4ohm speakers will love it then :devil: Also the 150wpc is for the North American unit.

Rated Output Power
All channels: North American:
150 watts minimum continuous
power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2
channels driven from 20 Hz to
20 kHz, with a maximum total
harmonic distortion of 0.05% (FTC)
175 watts minimum continuous
power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2
channels driven at 1 kHz, with a
maximum total harmonic distortion
of 0.7% (FTC)
185 watts minimum continuous
power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2
channels driven at 1 kHz, with a
maximum total harmonic distortion
of 0.1% (FTC)
Others:
9 ch × 220 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch
driven (IEC

Last edited:

sunnyhd

Well you can add me to the list of proud owners of the PR-SC5507, it arrived yesterday:clap:. Just waiting for the PR-MA5500 i ordered at the same time to land on the doorstep, am told it should be here around the 15th of this month:smashin:. Was told there were only 50 available in the first batch, 37 had already been sold when i ordered. Anyone else going for the amp too?

Got my 5507 last month using it with 905 for time being as 5500 is pre ordered did it same time. I hope I am one of those 37 people :smashin:

£3000 for both is very good price

not happy with 5507 as no sound is coming in any of the speakers but when i send it direct into 905 it works ok.. so nothing is wrong with Amp. Hope nothing is blown inside 5507,,,
i am sure there is a button i must have pushed on my remote but I can't seem to find the devil :rolleyes:
please help
:lease:

g4zz3r

Standard Member
Got my 5507 last month using it with 905 for time being as 5500 is pre ordered did it same time. I hope I am one of those 37 people :smashin:

£3000 for both is very good price

not happy with 5507 as no sound is coming in any of the speakers but when i send it direct into 905 it works ok.. so nothing is wrong with Amp. Hope nothing is blown inside 5507,,,
i am sure there is a button i must have pushed on my remote but I can't seem to find the devil :rolleyes:
please help
:lease:

Make sure you have both the 905 and the 5507 set to EXT IN and EXT OUT respectively.

James, in answer to your question about where i purchased the amp, it was from Frank Harvey Hi Fi, but i got it at a special price as they were unsure at the time what the Trade price was going to be so David let me have it for the same price i paid for the processor as i was ordering both at the same time and paid up front for both. Although i dont think they are still at that price, website says £1800, when i purchased it wasn't even listed on the site.
Give David at Frank Harvey a call and see what he'll do.

sunnyhd

Thanks for your help guys

I went through the whole menu again didn’t work so I decided to unplug from the mains and restart again “Voila” it works…….:thumbsup:
Not sure what had happened, it was all right while I was watching a program and decided to fast forward the adds and when I pressed play the sound disappeared
I wasn’t even anywhere near the amp on my remote. :confused:

I called David yesterday afternoon and got a good price on 5500: he did mentioned he had a spare on order which is good.. I‘ll get it same time as you…:clap:

onesixright

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for your review. Looks very nice. Still a question,you have any info on de DLNA ? Maybe some screenshots? It should also play video?

Many thanks!

Regards,
16R

SSB

It doesn't play video over the network, only audio. Looking at other AV amps, there aren't many that play video under the DNLA banner and those that do (Sony for example) only play a limited number of formats and resolutions. You're much better off getting a separate video streamer.

steVoid

Standard Member
Hi
I am think about buying this unit but all the negative talk about the 2 channel stereo sound has made my decision harder.
I would be running it through an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp & Oppo BDP-83 SE for the source.

How would it sound for stereo using the analoge outs on the 83 and pass through the 5507?

So i would only be using the 83 DAC's for stereo.
What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks ,

dvdr

Standard Member
Hi

first I want to thank IRobot for his extensive review, that already answered questions I could not find answered in professional reviews. And: he was very patient in answering my PM'd questions, so I will post them here, that others might profit from them as well:

Q: Will I be able to get sound and video of my settop-box via HDMI to my Plasma, when the 5507 is in standby? Background: Right now, my SAT-settop-box is directly connected via HDMI to my Plasma and get's video and (analog) audio over HDMI. 5.1 audio is fed via SPDIF to my AV-preamp. With the 5507, I would have to attach the settop-box via HDMI to the preamp (it only has ONE HMDI-output) and also attach my Plasma to the HDMI-output of the 5507. So, for any "quick viewing" of News etc., where I don't need the whole AV-chain, I might be lost, if there is not some sort of passthrough in standby mode

A: Pass through works. You have to enable "HDMI Control (RIHD)" in the HDMI menu. Once you do this and then put the Onkyo into standby, the picture and sound will come from the TV.

Q: Somewhere I read, that Audyssey equalization does only work with the "old" DD/DTS formats? According to that post, the bitrate of the newer HD-bitstreams requires too much processing power, so Audyssey is shut off.

A: The Onkyo can apply Audyssey to HD bitstreams, it's got plenty of power. My old Marantz couldn't do that though.

Q: How hot does the 5507 get? I might have not enough space in my cabinet ABOVE the unit - maybe I could replace the metal side/top of the housing with some more "airy" cover and/or apply a supersilent fan...

A: The top rear of the unit where the video processing chips are, gets quite warm, so it would be a good idea to find a way of circulating air over that part. Maybe keep the rear three inches sticking out the back of your stand.

So, again, thanks for IRobot for his tests and findings!

indus

Distinguished Member
Are there any owners of the 5507 who upgraded from using something like the 875 as a pro?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 875 (which is used as a pro) to a 5507 and wanted to know if it was a significant jump?
I'm only talking about movies btw, music is irrelevant.

kevinf40

Hi
I am think about buying this unit but all the negative talk about the 2 channel stereo sound has made my decision harder.
I would be running it through an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp & Oppo BDP-83 SE for the source.

How would it sound for stereo using the analoge outs on the 83 and pass through the 5507?

Thanks ,

Hiya

I recently picked up an Oppo 83se and am waiting for a 5507 to arrive.
It will be replacing a Denon 4306, and I have a pair of NAD C272s driving the main speakers. If interested I'll post my thoughts on the differences between the current (Oppo - Denon in pure direct mode - NAD - Speakers) and new (same but 5507 in whatever it's least intrusive mode is) for Stereo performance.

kevinf40

Hi

Thanks ,

Hi steVoid,

Well the 5507 and Oppe 83se are here and in the process of being set up and tinkered with.

Some initial thoughts here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/audi...ng-sc5507-only-option-now-4.html#post12040747

and here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...230357-living-cinema-room-3.html#post12032112

I have listend to several CD's and a couple of SACDs, and am very happy with it so far. Currently listening to 'Fink' 'Biscuits for Breakfast' in Direct mode and it is sounding lush.

As no doubt mentioned in many reviews it definitely excells at movie / game surround sound, but the Direct setting seems (to my uneducated ears at least) to leave the sound pretty well alone.

And yes it is definitely worth hooking up the analogue audio outputs for stereo music if you're getting the SE model :thumbsup:

Any specific Q's you have feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :)

dvdr

Standard Member
In a few days, I will be getting an Oppo BDP-80, which I choose, since I thought, with the video-processing power of the 5507, I do not need the video-processing, that the BDP-83 offers. I just want to run the BDP-80 (that's what it is built for) in "source" mode and use the video-processing capabilities, that the 5507 offers.
Now I've done some testing, how the 5507 would behave with different input resolutions and fps-values.
The 5507's output-option is set to "main", "input" (that way I can choose individual settings for each HDMI-input).
On the HDMI-input (currently, an older Samsung BD-P1400 is attached) I choose "auto" as the video-processing option, since I thought, in the upcoming "source"-mode of the BDP-80, of course the 5507 has to decide, how to treat the input signal.
Here's a comparison chart, what the 5507 does. It compares the "feed" at the input the the output signal, that the 5507 creates

Input ------- Output
576i/50 ----- 1080p/50
720p/50 ---- 1080p/50
1080i/50 ---- 1080p/50
1080i/60 ---- 1080p/60
1080p/50 --- 1080p/50
1080p/60 --- 1080p/60
1080p/24 -- 1080p/60

Note, that up to 1080p/60, the 5507 does proper upconversion and deinterlacing to 1080p with the appropriate framerate.
But the moment, I am feeding it with a BluRay 24p-signal, it will wrongly convert it to 1080p/60. I say wrongly, since both my Plasma & projector (Pioneer Kuro "5090", Panasonic PT-AE2000) are FullHD/24p capable and correctly identify themselves with that resolution.
Shouldn't the 5507 put out 1080p/24 in that case?

Why would the 5507 convert 24p-content to 60p? Is there any way to avoid that? Otherwise, using the Oppo in source mode will be annoying, since I will have to manually adjust to the playback situations according to the material I use...

dts_boy

why don't you set that source to simply pass the video signal through and not scale?
on my 886 i can set it this way and it seems to work for me

dvdr

Standard Member
why don't you set that source to simply pass the video signal through and not scale?
on my 886 i can set it this way and it seems to work for me
Simply because I think, the video-processor in the 5507 is the best option in my system for upscaling and deinterlacing...
Passing through means: not upscale and not deinterlace the signal from DVDs in the receiver.
The internal scaler of the Oppo DB-P80 is not really good, that's why Oppo themselves say: "this unit is best used in 'source mode' and the upscaling is done in the AV-processor" - and that's what I bought it for.
I could upscaling and deinterlacing be done in my Plasma/projector, but then I would give away picture quality...

Coup330

Hi,

Thanks for your review. Looks very nice. Still a question,you have any info on de DLNA ? Maybe some screenshots? It should also play video?

It doesn't play video over the network, only audio. Looking at other AV amps, there aren't many that play video under the DNLA banner and those that do (Sony for example) only play a limited number of formats and resolutions. You're much better off getting a separate video streamer.

I've read a review of the Marantz AV8003 and this unit plays even HD Video over network!

Last edited:

Madian

I have been seriously looking at this given my Sony DB1080 AV receiver has just given up the ghost.

I am going to arrange a demo to make sure this is for me given I had £3K or there abouts to spend.

Can some kind person point me in the direction of who is selling both the pre and the power for about £3K as all I have found so far is roughly £1.8 for each.

many thanks

indus

Distinguished Member
Hello.

I have now ordered one of these and will get it next week.

Can somebody tell me how I check the firmware is up to date and then how I update (via USB) if needed?

Many thanks and I look forward to joining the club!

saabtech

You can update the firmware in two ways, Firstly you can network the pro by connecting to your router, go into the menu on the pro, [hardware, update], and it will automatically download the latest firmware, problem with this method it can take up to an hour to complete.
Second is to go to Onkyo`s web site , look under the service tab where you will find the latest firmware that you can download to your pc, unzip the files to a usb stick and put the stick in one of the usb ports on the pro, this method is a lot quicker. You will also find that there are full insructions under the service tab on the Onkyo site for both methods, Regards, Saabtech.

Detroyt

Hi Indus..........have I missed a trick or something ?? Have you been able to get one cheaper than the one I am offering in classified ??:confused:

regards Barry

indus

Distinguished Member
Hi Indus..........have I missed a trick or something ?? Have you been able to get one cheaper than the one I am offering in classified ??:confused:

regards Barry

No not cheaper Barry. The thing is if I'm buying second hand (though I appreciate yours was untouched) then there needs to be a significant saving. If its a relatively small saving then I'd rather have a brand spanking new one.

I'm sure you'll get a fair price for your 5507, but for me the saving was becoming to small.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck with your sale:)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios
  • By Promoted Content Poster
  • Published
Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022