Onkyo or Yamaha AV Receiver?

C

CobraAV

Does anyone have (constructive) advice on Onkyo or Yamaha AV receivers.
I'm looking to hook up to Panasonic TH-42PX700 Plasma TV (which I've just got, and was looking at 5.1 speakers system (not got yet) for Home cinema and Music listening, along with Playstation3 (not got yet) and SkyHD (just ordered) and a separate DVD player/recorder (not got yet) and link in my laptop (got) for playing MP3's. I play a lot of music (FM radio, CD's, MP3's) and watch a lot of TV/films, so I'm looking for an AV Receiver that will cater for all these conections and be future proof for for an number of years (I had my last system 7 years!).
So far I've been looking at the Onkyo (TX-SR series) and the Yamaha (RX-V1700 & RX-V2700). As all of my kit will be new assuming I will connect it with HDMI cabling, I understand that the Yamaha does not support HDMI v1.3, but not sure if this is important or not so any advise would be useful.

Have you actually been to listen to these AVR's ? because thats the best place to start in trying to answer that Q

As previous, post listening is your best bet. However, regarding the yamaha, the RX-V1800 will be released soon that does support HDMI 1.3a and the new HD sound decoding. It will be more expensive than the current RX-V1700 though as it's RRP has just been reduced by Yamaha, I guess due to the RX-V1800.

Does anyone have (constructive) advice on Onkyo or Yamaha AV receivers.
I'm looking to hook up to Panasonic TH-42PX700 Plasma TV (which I've just got, and was looking at 5.1 speakers system (not got yet) for Home cinema and Music listening, along with Playstation3 (not got yet) and SkyHD (just ordered) and a separate DVD player/recorder (not got yet) and link in my laptop (got) for playing MP3's. I play a lot of music (FM radio, CD's, MP3's) and watch a lot of TV/films, so I'm looking for an AV Receiver that will cater for all these conections and be future proof for for an number of years (I had my last system 7 years!).
So far I've been looking at the Onkyo (TX-SR series) and the Yamaha (RX-V1700 & RX-V2700). As all of my kit will be new assuming I will connect it with HDMI cabling, I understand that the Yamaha does not support HDMI v1.3, but not sure if this is important or not so any advise would be useful.

I've just taken the plunge after having my existing surround system for something like 7 years also. I've gone with the Onkyo SR-605, I'm waiting for it to turn up so can't comment on it's performance yet. To get the most out of the PS3 you'll need an amp that does audio i.e. LPCM over HDMI and the onkyo is about the only amp currently that will do this for under £400

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom